Spark Plugs and NOS

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone else with heads and cam upgrades out there running a 200 shot and stock Champion plugs? I have not (yet) had any detonation problems.

I have a set of NGK's but I have been reluctant to change to them because 95% of my driving is on just plain ol motor.....

Any input?

Regards,

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin,
I would step down 1 heat range for safety sake and close your gap up .004-.006. I spray a lot of customers cars, and the drivability has not changed with a 1 step change. Just my .02 cents. Everyone may not agree with my advice, but that is my rule of thumb for that size of a shot.
Later,
Joe

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are playing with fire,you need to go to colder plug,you may not hear any but wouldnt you hate to have it at W.O.T w/200 shot,pretty expensive risk if you ask me,and as far as 95% street driving you wont notice the difference between the two

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vipermed 97,01:
you are playing with fire,you need to go to colder plug,you may not hear any but wouldnt you hate to have it at W.O.T w/200 shot,pretty expensive risk if you ask me,and as far as 95% street driving you wont notice the difference between the two

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm taking notes, what plug(s) would you recommend.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NGK FR5-1 is a good choice it has more mass and does not protrude as far as the champion. The stock plug is akin to Russian roulette. My car with NGK plugs dyno's the same hp as with stock plugs.

The viper coil packs are extremely robust and you can go wider on the gap and perhaps pick up a few extra hp. Pick up the book on N2O that was written by the NOS brand people. I bought mine from Summit. It has a section on plugs and it gives an example of a plug that you do not want to use on N2O, it looks like a stock champion from on a viper.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you raise HP, cylinder temperature goes up.

At some point, it will simply not be possible to run the extended tip plug.

This is further obfuscated by mixture.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe a visual will help
dunno.gif

new NGK ZFR6F-11 on the left and a used stock Champion RC12LYC on the right

You must be registered for see images

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent:

I have been using between .040 and .050. It makes no sense to use the champions unless the engine is completely stock. You will not loose any hp with the colder plug. The plug Albert is recommending is another rating colder than the FR5-1.

What is really confusing, some cross references indicate that the FR5-1 is the similar to the stock champions, however, if you compare them the FR5 has more mass and the tip is not extended like the champion.

If you look at the picture of the plugs that Albert posted, the stock plug has some deposits on it. If a plug has splatter (beads that don't come off) on the tip or plug base, something is thermally sacrificing itself in the combustion chamber or cylinder. The splatter is sometimes hard to see, just run your finger along the electrode and try to feel the beads. It is like splatter from arc welding. Remember, stock vipers tend to run very lean.

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1/2 the people say to use stock and 1/2 say ngk so which one is it? i have used both but am back to champions. will switch back to ngk if most people recommend them.

jack what are you gapping your plugs at?

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jack, thanks for the reply. will go back to the ngk when i get a chance to change them. i thought you were supposed to gap the plugs a litte tighter when running forced induction.

mes, man those tips are fried. how long were those stock plugs used? i change my plugs every 1000 miles(i think it is a waste but want to be safe when on the juice).

how often should you change your plug with some regular driving and drag racing with nitrous? i have been told that 10000 miles is fine.

OP
OP
M

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input - I am going to put in the NGK's that I have..... Maybe it's time to see what the 300 shot can do!!!!

Regards,

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A longer gap theoretically equates to more hp if the ignition can drive it. On the other hand anything you do with plugs impacts a car very little. I have gapped the them much higher then the 40-50 that I indicated.

Relative to the increased heat from the higher pressure, the increased plugs gap does very little to the reliability. The NOS primer (published by the Nos company sold in all speed stores) has some very good data on plugs.