Spark plugs for RT/10?

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to replace the plugs on my 94 RT/10 to as a first step in resolving the rough idle when cold. I already adjusted the TB's. What are you guys using and has any one tried the nalogy silverstone plugs? Thanks for the help!

ps-My car came with the champion rc12lyc plug.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would stick with what is recommended in the owner's manual or how it came from the factory. I understand that in many cases, changing the plug to another style or even brand, will cause changes to the sensors on the engine and may cause some strange things to happen.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Champ lawn mower plugs are the best for a stock lightly modded Viper

Spark Plugs
Champion - RC12LYC
Gap to .038

Here is the breakdown for the Champion part number:

R= 14mm Thread, Gasket seat
C= 3/4 Inch Reach
12= Heat Range
E or LY= Projected Tip
C= Copper Core
CC= Double Copper (Copper core AND Copper Cored Ground Electrode)

OP
OP
S

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
K thanks guys. I was gonna buy the Bosch that Alans performance has on sale but I guess I;ll go with the Champions that came with the car. Thnaks.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My service manual says gap to 0.033-0.038, so I guess 0.035 is about midstream.

Also, recommended torque is 28 Nm (20 ft. lbs.) if anyone else is as anal about this kind of thing as I am.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to go by torque settings if you are learning to tinker with cars, but when you have been doing it for a while, you go more by expierence and feel.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All Champion coppers have zinc plated threads, so I didn't bother putting anti-seize on when I changed mine. On my TT V6 aluminum block (which got very hot too) I never used anti-seize either. Is there anything special about the Viper block that "requires" anti-seize?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use anti-seize, whether it is on our Viper or my wife's PT Cruiser...or my lawn mower.

Also, be sure and use some dielectric grease in the boot to aid in installation and make it easier to remove the next time.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Champion coppers have zinc plated threads, so I didn't bother putting anti-seize on when I changed mine. On my TT V6 aluminum block (which got very hot too) I never used anti-seize either. Is there anything special about the Viper block that "requires" anti-seize?

My mechanic told me I didnt have to use anti-seize on mine either. He said it wouldn't really help any, but if I did, it wouldnt hurt either. So I did just to be safe(r)

G

grcforce327

My mechanic told me I didnt have to use anti-seize on mine either. He said it wouldn't really help any, but if I did, it wouldnt hurt either. So I did just to be safe(r)

When I bought my car,the plugs had been changed at least once already,and when I went to change them,(I always do on any vehicle I buy),I was cursing because I thought I was going to pull the threads along with the plugs in two holes!With anti-seize there is never any issues!Do what you want,I'll stick with anti-seize on all plugs!!!

Anti-seize = :headbang: :2tu:

Non anti-seize = :buttkick: :bonker: :nono:

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you use anti-seize use very little and make sure to only put it on the threads.

You need to make sure that the plug still has the base (whether tapered seat or crush gasket) bare so it can make a solid contact with the head and complete the ground. If not you could be chasing a misfire for a very long time.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you tell if you have a misfire? I had a toasted plug wire before and it never even kicked a check engine light. And yes, the light works because it came on when I forgot to reconnect the sensor in the airbox one time.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you use anti-seize use very little and make sure to only put it on the threads.

You need to make sure that the plug still has the base (whether tapered seat or crush gasket) bare so it can make a solid contact with the head and complete the ground. If not you could be chasing a misfire for a very long time.

Do you know this to be true or is it possibly a wives tale? I remember being told several times to be careful with anti-seize because it is highly conductible.

Just curious.

G

grcforce327

Do you know this to be true or is it possibly a wives tale? I remember being told several times to be careful with anti-seize because it is highly conductible.

Just curious.

My anti-seize is a copper compound,and we all know how non-conductive copper is!

:bonker: :bonker: :buttkick: :buttkick: :buttkick: :bonker: :bonker:

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just curious.

I know this because it is true and I have seen it myself. Being a former auto tech I do have knowledge of this, and now in my current field I still install 1,000+ sparkplugs a year and do not use the silver anti-seize.

Like mentioned in the post above this one, use the "copper" one if you do use any.

I have seen many "techs" chase their tails trying to find a misfire only to discover it was the anti-seize.

Now remember, a little may not do a thing. Too much and lose the ground, then you know what will happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960