Speaker size???

viperbound

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is being shipped as I type :headbang: (lets all pray tonight she arrives safely) and I am trying to figure what audio equipment to purchase and realized I had no idea what size the speakers are in the center console. I have a 2002 RT/10. Could somone please tell me what size fits in this stock location? Thanks in advance.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
"All speakers except for the tweaters are 6.5"

It's important to specify that they are component speakers, meaning the tweeters, mids and sub-woofer are all seperate units and not the all-in-one speakers sold by most places.

You can install the all-in-one speakers, but it doesn't sound nearly as good. I've done it both ways and the component system is far and away a better sounding setup.

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!
Great choice in color and year.

I am running the JL Audio 6WO sub in mine with Diamond Audio components in the doors...sounds great!
I did have to remove the rubber magnet cover on the JL to get it to fit, and you WILL want to fill some of the center space behind the sub with insulation or dynomat for better sound.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is possible to get good bass from a 6.5" sub but it would have to have massive excursion. JL Audio makes good subs but for really clean deep bass you need to go larger.

BTW Dynomat has been known to crumble inside your car over time. It gets brittle and falls apart. The custom installers avoid Dynomat now.

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put MBQuart mids and tweets in the doors. Disconnected the stock sub in the console. I added a 10" JLAudio W6v2 in the passenger footwell. It's got pretty good bass but not nearly enough for me :smirk:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The center speaker can be a pain. A decent speaker will have a good size magnet which will hit the bulkhead when you try to mount it. At least that's what happens on my 98 RT/10. I am having a trim ring built to pull the speaker out about 1/2 inch. It wont be flush so I don't know what it will look like but it will fit. I'll post pics sometime.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4