SPEED AND POWER AT THE FASTEST TRACK ON THE PLANET

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past winter SVS announced their plans for another attempt at land speed racing the Stryker TTRS Viper on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Our plans are to compete at The World of Speed in Oct, 2005. The class we will run in is yet to be determined. We feel good about the power, the car and the safety but the course will determine a great deal of how fast we can go.

Last week I was driving for another team at the Salt Flats during Speedweek and the course was very rough. Most of the fastest vehicles didn’t show up for Speedweek because of the conditions. Hopefully in Oct. the salt will be flat and smooth. The World of Speed is sanctioned by the FIA and it’s the time when the air is cool, but the weather is unstable.

While going through Tech at Speedweek and renewing my BNI membership, I noticed a particular Viper on the 2003 official Bonneville Speedweek ERC T-shirts. I was surprised to see our SVS Stryker Twin Turbo Viper was chosen to be on the T-shirts! :cool: I had to buy a few of these! :2tu:

You must be registered for see images

This part isn't Viper related, but it's definitely leading to what will be Viper related :2tu:

Here's a couple of Videos showing the Salt racer I was driving:

Firing the car in the pit

After the 4 mile the car get's a little loose at 200+ and through the 5 mile it's skating pretty bad:

5 mile salt run in Bonners Bad Berkeley

Info and pictures:

Bonneville Speedweek 2005

Attending Speedweek and driving for another team was an excellent opportunity to learn more about the salt flats, getting seat time, the dynamics of another team and all of this will hopefully translate into making a Viper go very, very fast :D

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanx for sharing. looks like you guys are as ready as you'll ever be. hopefully the weather will cooperate and the course will be nice and smooth come october. what is the wheelbase on bonners bad berkeley? i have seen your dyno vid of your viper puttin down like 2,000 hp. if the conditions are right i am guessin you viper will run close to bonners speed of 280+ mph. i assume you are gonna run the stock 3.07 rear gear with a manual 6 speed and see how far you can pull it out? also, what kind of tires do you plan on runnin? :cool:

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the tires are Mickey T's and rated for around 450mph.

The gearing is close to what you're stating.

280 would be very cool :D

Many things have to fall into place for an actual record.

Once you beat the record or get close then you immediately have to go into the impound (you can't stop at your pit with the car) and have only 1 hour to work on your car. 7:00am the folowing morning you have to make your backup run. There's 3 measured mile sections. 2-3, 3-4, 4-5. If you beat the recrd in the 3-4 and had to get out of the gas which made your 4-5 lower, then when you make your backup run the following day and the only speed that counts is what you run between the 3-4.

example - 200.106 mph is the current record

2-3 179.786 mph
3-4 200.875 mph
4-5 168.536 mph had to pull chute early

The following morning at 7:00am you only get 1 run and it looks like this:

2-3 148.774 mph
3-4 199.618 mph
4-5 208.663 mph

Take the 200.875 and the 199.618 = 400.493/2 = 200.246 mph NEW RECORD

2 things I'm not sure about

If it's raining the next day when you are scheduled to make your backup run, do you get to make another run if the weather is better the following day?

The 200.246 NEW RECORD above, would it qualify you for the 200 mph club or I heard that you have to be above 215 mph or something like that??

:usa:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc