Speed GT change the rules

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see why certain Viper teams are selling or switching to the Corvette.

At Road Atlanta yesterday, there was a "crash" within 2 seconds of the standing start. It took 30 Min. to clean it up (50 Min race). The last lap under yellow it started to rain. Ron Fellows (Cadillac) was the only one to pit for rain tires.

Several crashes the first lap under green (due to the rain and standing water).

Eventually the race goes to red (with only a few minutes left under the 50 Min. window). Bear in mind there has been 0 laps under green. The field is given the RED flag for 5 Min. AND teams can work on the car. ***??..

They announce that there will be a 15 min race. The announcers are fuming and want to know "We're gonna find out what the hell is going on".

Announcers come back and say ther will be a 10 Min. race, not the original 15 min the officials said.

Why did it take 30+ Min to clean the track in a race of 50 Min?

Are the SCCA folks making these decisions the same ones making the weight "rewards" decissions?

I'm so disappointed in this race, not from a Viper owner's stand point, but from a series fan.

I think the SCCA should say there has to be a minimum number of laps ran under green for it to be a full race.

Changing the rules in the middle of the race doesn't fly with me or any fans that were sitting around us. Everyone was pissed, no matter who they were routing for.

Just Venting,
Todd

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you so worked up about?You do know what scca stands for don't you? SCCA stands for Silly car Club of America. GTS Bruce

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree! The race sucked! I'm not a Nascar fan by any means, but I doubt they would've let that crap fly. The fans who paid $75 admission price + $40 to park really got ripped off big time! I agree, worst race in history!

Seeing the Vipers and meeting some of the driver's and teams helps make up for it, but the race itself was a complete joke!

Also, I'd like to send a special thank you to the Naykid Racing team who took time to talk to me and another GA-VCA member and show us some of the inner workings of the team that the average spectator didnt get to see. Cindy and Scotty also loved my "God made Vipers so Corvette guys would have heroes" t-shirt :D

Todd, where were you? I looked for ya, but never saw you or your Viper all weekend.

Cindi Lux

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That GT race was truly an embarressment for the series. There were so many terrible calls made by SCCA ProRacing that I lost count. The official results have been protested.

Chad- it was great meeting you and showing you around our pits. And yes, your t-shirt ROCKED. :headbang:

Todd- you really summed up the race very well.

You guys should chime in on this thread....

http://www.world-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=975

Cindi Lux

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, the worst World Challenge race in history, but racing the oval in Charlotte is definitely a close second!

Ditto, I was there and it was even worse watching in person in the rain.

But the charlotte race with the tractor trailer tires was bad too :mad: .

Speed GT better tighten up, Lou G is gone, Tommy Archer is gone, and many more vipers leaving, they are going to ruin it. The SCCA is very stupid sometimes.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAHA, I would have rather speed GT have run at Talladega Grand Prix than the charlotte mess.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That FIASCO violated 2 of SCCAs own GCRs, but was possibly made to comply with perceived live TV contractual issues. SPEED needed a TAPED feed of 45 minutes...so i just dont understand AT ALL if TV shortened the race.

What a JOKE to call that event "Pro Racing"

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I ran the Speed GT race at Laguna Seca in 05 it was clearly stated in the drivers meeting that TV dictated the time schedule and that the race was deemed to be "Sports Car Racing Entertainment" Needless to say the race turned into a crash fest and was very dissapointing to run 80% of the race under yellow caution flags. It appears that SCCA Pro threw out their own rulebook for the Road Atlanta race. Many Viper and even a few Corvette teams are already jumping ship and moving to the ALMS GT2 or Rolex Grand Am GT for next year. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960