SPEED - SRT-10 vs Lotus Elise article (scans)

japon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bunch of losers.
Clearly the article was all about track performance.
The liz was beat in their own game. Some lotus forum posters are replying (kinda off topic): "Comparing price, I'm very pleased with the results. Comparing gas mileage, I'm even more pleased. Comparing insurance cost, I'm shining."

The article showed the immense grip of SRT10. Smoked the liz on trail braking, exit blasts, and of course the straightaways.

joe :usa:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overall their comments are pretty fair. I noted when I reviewed the article initially that it appeared they overbraked the SRT in some corners. That is something I was guilty of as teh SRT brakes better than you expect, and given the slight twitches it gives in anti-lock mode, I was not willing to take it to the limit. Thus overbraking was common and leads to acceleration into the corner. It looked like that was occuring in the analysis.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that the article and most of the responses to the posts were reasonably fair considering.

The Elise looks to be a very fun car indeed. And it's not hard to understand why some people would prefer a tiny, tossable, lightweight, sportscars to heavier, higher performance car like the Viper.

The Elise is a very spartan car, and designed for track competition. In many ways the Viper is also not a luxury car either, and designed to do well on a racetrack, just not in the same way.

I think that most of the responses in that thread were fairly complimentary to the Viper, and most of them were frankly surprised how well the Viper handled and braked. And they admitted that the Viper had a clear power advantage.

But it's like comparing a stock Viper against a Ferrari Enzo. With the Viper's handling and braking comparable, and the power being down from the $$$ Ferrari.

You could comment about how much a relative value the Viper is (which is true) and how you could bolt on twin turbos and offer the Enzo some serious track competition (which is also true), for far less money. But it's not the same as actually owning an Enzo.

Realistically, I couldn't justify spending $650K-$1.4M on any car, and it would make me nervous driving around in an Enzo every day.

And likewise, I can easily understand how the Elise would happily satisfy the needs of many a driving enthusiast. And for far less than the price of a new Viper. But it's not the same thing, even if you added a turbocharger to the Elise. :eek:

It's certainly an odd comparison, but I think that it shows off how well both of these cars can do on a racetrack. :laugh:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Speed magazine is a new offshoot of Road and Track and their premise is to showcase sports cars they think are more affordable. Nice to see the Snake in there, and I felt most of the remarks were pretty level. The problem with the Viper is the mystique about it --- you can't just drive it at the max right out of the box. Like many cars that have elicted a unique following, the fact that a Snake can not be charmed quickly is why so many keep going back for their kicks.

PS - and I do believe the sub one ton Elise, did not achieve a braking distance of under 100 ft. from 60 miles an hour like the SRT-10 has done, so it dazzles your mind to understand the supreme capabilities of the the 3300 Venomous Beast.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine at Borders; Also on page 26, this an article on the [******] twin venom Turbo SRT-10.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove that POS.... It's worse than a Fiero with twice as much plastic.... 0-60 was 8.0 maybe..... no way close to what's advertised.... You switch gears and the entire vehicle twists... seriously....

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warning: Test drive an Elise before you even consider owning one.... On the track, I'm sure the car can produce some decent times. But that's what is is, a track car. On the street, this thing is horrible. It is only somewhat quick if you are reving to redline every shift (not exaggerating). It's a dog until 6000 RPM. You only corner fast if you enter the turn balls out, so you can maintain your exit speed. On a race track, this can be fun. On the street, rarely do you get an opportunity or feel SAFE driving this way.... And speaking of safe, this car IS NOT crash approved (at least that's what the Lotus dealer told me). It received an exemption for 3 years, and after that will have to change to meet US specs. IMO, this car would not be safe in a crash. But test drive one and judge for yourself. As far as comfort, there is NONE. Your Viper will suddenly feel like a Cadillac. Oh yeah... The shifter ***** as well. Feels very flimsy and the shift are not very positive. The car really does feel like a piece of junk (kit-car like) when driving it.... On a positive note, the Elise brakes INCREDIBLY well.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: GT3 v SPEED - SRT-10 vs Lotus Elise article (scans)

Read that article - completely surprised how well the SRT-10 can go at the track - too bad no one has really brought one out to Mosport to show the GT3's a thing or two.

The article basically concluded that the SRT-10 "walks away" from elise at BOTH the short (should have favoured the elise) and the Long high speed loops.

I am not sure a bout the price differential since I beleieve that the spread is only $25 K for much more reliable car - I do not think a high-strung 4 ****** running that rpm can do 500 km straight at Mosport tank after tank - like my GTS can. Nor will they be able to get that aluminum frame fixed. Nor will they be pushed into their seat. Nor will have enough time to see a GTS dissapear between turn 5c and 8.

I only wish that more of the owners of the SRT-10 actually drove their car as it was designed and gave it suitable exercise at a track - they are really missing out on the joy of taming the beast (see R&T Speed article) and the joy of having such a great car - Right now the Sports car to have - it pulls a GTS and ACR - is the GT3.

In fact, my buddy bought a new 2002 ACR because DC failed to impress him with the Coupe at Texas - he was also scared of the level of recall with kind on $ involved. He has has had sevver Vettes - but discounts them due to high heat and complexity - ie they are good to lease but not to keep - he now owns 2 ACRs and one 97 GTS. So he is as die hard as they come. BUT, based on what he is hearing from GM and NOT hearing from DC (say something DC!), he is now thinking about that new Z06 , if they get the heat issues licked. At that weight and HP, it could likely embarass us!!

Can't wait until DC announces the :crazy: v10 Hemi for the street comp coupe!

MGWLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure where you guys are getting the info about the elise but i can assure you this car is no 0-60 in 8 odds seconds!!! i know i actually own one.

i own both a 2004 srt10 viper and a 2005 elise and i can tell you that this car is nice for what it is.

here is what it is...

1. super light, tossable, go kart for the street.

2. a real looker. gets more attention than the viper.

3. awesome handling and braking. due to light weight obviously.

4. super quick when the cam kicks in. i would guess high 4's 0-60.

5. quite comfortable once you get seated. small steering wheel is really fun.

6. not a piece of junk at all. fit and finish is as good or better than the viper. ( except the inside. new srt10 is much better)

here is what it ain't!!!!!

1. no torque, none nada zip zilch. drive it like a motorcycle and you are fine.

2. the most difficult car to get in and out of EVER!!!!!!
3. about as many creature comforts as a 1992 viper.

4. after about 120 mph the car is basically done :>( just when the viper really gets going ironically.

i think this car is made out to be some giant killer by the car mags due to lotus' rep for making such fine handling cars but it really is not even in the same league as the viper due to the tremendous hp difference. but i think that its not the cars fault that people misapply its merits. against an evo, sti, non z06 vette, 911 or such it stacks up pretty well. but the viper is really in 360, gt3, gt2, gt40 etc. company.

here are some pics...

You must be registered for see images

regards
george

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member