Speedi.... (Sorry, Cruising) to Austin

mayo_pasco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To make a long story short because I spent 15 minutes typing the last long post and it cored out on me:

I had a religious (or at elast I think that is how it feels) experience taking my black beauty out for a longer stretch from Houston to Austin, faster than quicker.

After two speeding tickets (never had one before not even before arriving to the states), of which one was cancelled after talking to an understanding police officer, I realize that starting my baby takes longer than it used to.

Normally I just crank the engine about 2 secs and then she starts, but now I am turning the key for seconds and seconds until I give her some juice with my right foot and then she rattles alive.

What could have changed, what should I look for? Maybe she got her own life after realizing how fun it could be to drive outside Houston's less than good roads?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until you get the pump fixed:

Pretend you have a Holley 750 double-pumper on top the motor and a GPH-110 electric fuel pump out back...

Turn key to "Run" position.

Listen for fuel pump to build line pressure, then change pitch when it comes up to full level.

Omit the "pull choke cable" and "1 squirt from the accelerator pump" steps.

Turn key to "Start" and it should fire right up.

Waxing nostalgic.......(sigh)
Sometimes, I miss carburetors. About the only thing on the Viper that I can fiddle with and tweak that much is wheel alignment.

OP
OP
M

mayo_pasco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alan,

thanx for the info. It seems like the problem is the fuel pump.

GTS Dean,

I am pretending, but I am also prentending to know what it would feel like to use a Holley, since I have never seen one :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960