Speeding Ticket

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had the viper out to get a battery and oil change .woudnt ya know it .turn the corner up to 65 in a blink,well you know the story.Sir he says why were you going so fast.i just gave him the duh! look needless to say i think he was a vett owner..Whats the best radar detector out now have not had one for a while .gunna need one fast

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, If you turned the corner and Blink, he got you, your radar detector Probably wouldnt have saved you, if the cop was using instant on or stand by mode. However if by chance the cop had left his radar on, you might have gotten away with it. I use valentine 1 in both of my cars, I like to know where the radar is comeing from, and I like the hideway unit also..02

Reaction score
V1 would have saved if his radar was checking traffic or if he shot a car near you the bounce will register.

We had a Caravan(6 cars four Vipers) going to Laguna Seca and the CHP were out collecting takes without representation.

Came across the biggest radar trap about on Hwy 101 10-15 miles North of Salinas. CHP count Two cruisers five motorcycles.

About five miles before this trap on of our group(Viper) was pulled over by the CHP for a plate infraction(fix it ticket). We lost ten to fifteen minutes waiting for the CHP to do his thing. We were now running a little late for our Skip Barber-VCA school. But being the lead car with a V1 getting hits every few miles we stayed at 5-15(0-5 when getting hits on the V1) over the limit. We came to a divided 55 mph slowed to about 60mph, a BMW did not slow down and passed us right in the CHP trap. They nailed him, would guess he was barely low 60's as he passed very slowly. In this case the VCA saved us six tickets. Without the V1 we would have been making up for the lost and felt pretty safe as that cruiser made a 180 degree turn after his fix-it ticket.

V1's(have three) have same me many tickets!

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Fred...

Your post sounds more like an airplane speed mission than radar. Next time your in that area, or others as well, check the shoulder of the highway. If you see painted stripes, about 1' wide and 6' long, accross the shoulder, they will be 1 mile apart for around 5 miles. The units, four or five, or more, will be on the on ramp waiting for the speed and description to be called down to them.
Look up also...

Randy

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your post sounds more like an airplane speed mission than radar. Next time your in that area, or others as well, check the shoulder of the highway. If you see painted stripes, about 1' wide and 6' long, accross the shoulder, they will be 1 mile apart for around 5 miles. The units, four or five, or more, will be on the on ramp waiting for the speed and description to be called down to them.
Look up also...
The key point being that last line. "Look up." :cool:

On that subject, the best defense against airplane speed enforcement is a radio scanner with the appropriate frequencies programmed in. I've heard them running the aircraft enforcement - "the blue sedan in the left lane is doing 79 - not that one, the next one", and such. Of course, like a CB radio, they're a pain to have on since they run aircraft enforcement so rarely, and knowing the right frequencies out of the hundreds of frequencies assigned to the CHP, county, and local police (because they sometimes share) is a real pain. It could be illegal (I'm not sure) to have a police scanner in a car, though - never checked it for CA.

Aren't the markers every 1/2 mile rather than a mile? Pretty much every state highway and interstate in CA has the markers, which are there literally all of the time - so looking for the markers isn't a good warning. :cool:

Reaction score
The "Bear in the Air" can also be a problem.

I think they(CHP) were running a training exercise. Otherwise they have a lot of CHP's for a moderately populated area. Counting the CHP issuing the Fix-it ticket and the 7 running the trap there was another five or six within 10 miles of farm country.

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Randy...
They are a mile apart and all over the place. I did that gig for a number of years. They use Robic Stop watches that can be calibrated for distance, just like the ones we use at the track.

Fred...
The rual areas are the best, longer open roads, SR99, I5, etc. When I was envolved we never looked at anything under 80, this is when the limit was 55. All done with that now.

Randy

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must have been the weekend for cops. Just got busted for going 63 in 40. Cop was "nice" - I forgot my license and insurance and he followed me back to my home to write me up the ticket - yeah, really nice. I have V1 but useless for instant on radar