Spring/Shock Choices, help

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been wanting to lower the viper for a while now. I do some competitive racing, but on a very limited basis. Mostly the car is a weekend toy. There are so many choices out there. Ideally I would love to have a set of EMI/Penske/Moton tyep strut with remote reservior. However for such limited usage I have a very hard time justifying the $4-5K cost. I could spend the difference in price somewhere else. Then comes the next tier. Im not sure which is better. Sean Roe's revalved coil overs or a Snake Oly billet shock. Both these cost under $2K. Then there is just eibach. Im not sure if going eiback would make me suffer handling wise. I also liek the adjustible height capability offered by the other options. The main reason for this mod is cosmetic. But I wanted to know what you guys think. Any opinions?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SmokinV10:
Ive been wanting to lower the viper for a while now. I do some competitive racing, but on a very limited basis. Mostly the car is a weekend toy. There are so many choices out there. Ideally I would love to have a set of EMI/Penske/Moton tyep strut with remote reservior. However for such limited usage I have a very hard time justifying the $4-5K cost. I could spend the difference in price somewhere else. Then comes the next tier. Im not sure which is better. Sean Roe's revalved coil overs or a Snake Oly billet shock. Both these cost under $2K. Then there is just eibach. Im not sure if going eiback would make me suffer handling wise. I also liek the adjustible height capability offered by the other options. The main reason for this mod is cosmetic. But I wanted to know what you guys think. Any opinions?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, this is an awful inflamatory post, that borders on the perverse.
supergrin.gif
The nerve of you, talking about springs!!!!

Just kiddin', Smokin, glad to see you back. I'm looking for a set of used ACR shocks/springs myself. Willow Springs has "bean" a blast, but I can see I'm gonna need soome upgrades eventually, if I'm gonna continue to go out there.

You been to any tracks yet?

OP
OP
S

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump! Come on guys, you can provide more input than that! I thought this is what you guys like! No smack..but dont wanna talk cars either
sarcblink.gif
Step up to the plate!
smile.gif

Vic,
Whats up? Yeah, Im back. I couldnt stay away. Ive been to the track a couple of times. Thunderhill mostly. Now, we need to get springs, and shocks, so the rest of these guys better get replyin!

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Sean Roe shocks and springs. Really regret the purchase. Yeah the car is low, looks good. The rear hits the bump stops a lot on the street. On the track the car really rolls over on its side, sort of a "marshmellow" feel. For performance, stock is far superior! If you can find me a used set of ACR set up I'll sell you my Sean Roe stuff really cheap! $200-$400! Or just say the word and I'll sell the Sean Roe stuff to you.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before I went to the double-adjustable Penskes, I bought a set of lowering spring caps from Snake Oyl ($300 a set of four, a few years ago). I cranked up the rebound on the shocks while I was at it. The front ended up 3/4" lower and the rear 1" lower. Loved the look and my lap times at Gingerman dropped 2 seconds immediately! Upgraded to Penskes a year later and my lap times jumped back up... I finally found instuctions for dialing in the Penskes and my lap times came back down and then some.

The moral of this story is: if you're running well now, and you like the handling of your car, consider getting a machined set of spring caps/perches to lower your car. If you make a more drastic change (springs/shocks), you might end up going backwards.

1995 RT/10, YMMV

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Related question -- what spring rates have people ended up with for street use? How about autocross? Roadrace? Even knowing what the stock GTS and ACR rates are would be useful data for this thread.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the NW Engineering lower spring caps (1/2" drop) and the Eibach springs (1" drop).

Following are the Eibach spring rates:

Front: 343 lbs.

Rear:

Starting: 457 lbs.
Ending: 800 lbs.

Spring ID's:

Front: 68.25 mm
Rear: 69.00 mm

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snkbyt,

The best for drag racing is not the best for all round. For drag racing you want maximum weight transfer to the rear.

I know TNT sells drag shocks for the Viper - I would think JonB. carries them as well.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Northwind Adjusters are nice pieces:

20.jpg

I went with revalved Koni's for my '94 and Eibach Springs..... My Koni's and the springs are at Koni right now, hopefullyI 'll be able to tell you very soon, how I like them
smile.gif

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smokin,
There's no such thing as a SINGLE best shock/spring. There are too many variables; ride height, rake, alignment, power/gearing, tires, driving style, course layout and the highly subjective "ride quality". I suggest you bum some rides before spending any money. When you find something you like, copy that set-up. As Adelberg has shown, buying someone else's idea of best can get real expensive, real fast.

JonB,
Not sure what you're running, but I've known some fast guys who run more spring than what you mentioned. For road racing, the Viper generally likes a LOT of spring.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
... Even knowing what the stock GTS and ACR rates are would be useful data for this thread. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben, Jason et al...........per yur rqst:

1999-2000.5 ACR w/ Koni Rattlers: 400lb/in F; 750lb/in R

2000,6-2002 ACR w/ DSI Daytona's 500lb F; 1100lb rear.

Personal Opinion: the rear DSI/ACR spring rate is ill-conceived at best...at worst: dangerous ! I am about to dial myself off the track, trying to find optimim DSi settings. I have comcluded that the rear is, frankly, "Oversprung" and plan to install 750s or even 900s rear.

Commercial: PartsRack has spring caps, springs, used ACR units for Mr Adelberg, etc, etc

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrkermode:
Smokin,
There's no such thing as a SINGLE best shock/spring. There are too many variables; ride height, rake, alignment, power/gearing, tires, driving style, course layout and the highly subjective "ride quality". I suggest you bum some rides before spending any money. When you find something you like, copy that set-up. As Adelberg has shown, buying someone else's idea of best can get real expensive, real fast.

JonB,
Not sure what you're running, but I've known some fast guys who run more spring than what you mentioned. For road racing, the Viper generally likes a LOT of spring.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're correct, which is why performance shocks are adjustable in bump / rebound control, in addition to spring rates and ride heights. Those settings and spring rates are set according to the type of driving (street, road course, drag race) and the TIRES you're using. A street car with occasional track use on street tires goes only slightly stiffer than the regular stock springs with a little more rebound control, which helps in transitions. If others are using stiffer springs, they most likely are running race tires, adding downforce through aero aids and are using their cars predominatley on the track, with street driving harshness an acceptable compromise. Too stiff on the track does not give the driver enough feedback on where the limit of the tires are, which is very important to an improving driver. How can you tell if you're at the limit or not, if you can't feel it?

If Jon, or anyone else, wants to make changes to their personal car setups, it's easy and inexpensive, as long as you already have the adjustable shocks. Springs are about $55 each to change if you want stiffer or softer and it costs nothing to turn an adjustment on the shock for height or settings. As your use of the car changes, different tires, different tracks, driving style, ability, etc, you naturally make these adjustments to tune the chassis so it will perform the way you want it to. If you don't, you will get beat. At that point you can either accept and adjust, or complain and blame. The choice is the individual's to make depending on what their goals are.

Sean

Edit, FYI:
When racing, I used Penske, JRZ, Quantum and Koni shocks over 12 years. All are excellent racing shocks and require routine maintenance. For an inexpensive street / track capable shock, we have the stock Viper Koni shocks modified extensively, which gives us many features of a race shock with the durability of a street shock. The Archer's offer the same upgrade, but we added the adjustable collar so we could use widely available 2.5" ID race springs.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 08-07-2002 at 07:35 AM</font>