spun it

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out on a drive today. It was mid 40's, overcast, and we were on a two lane/semi-private road with some loose pebbles/gravel/etc in spots.
I took a 20mph turn at about 50mph with a nice line, but expected to be exiting with a little slide. Anyways the tail kicked out, so I attempted to power out, but then realized the steering was at full lock and the tail was still coming around. :omg: So I clutched in & tried to keep it in one place. Ended up getting the tires a little dirty.
The corvette guys that were out with me, are now afraid to drive my car. :rolaugh:

Anyways, now I know why people are scared to take these cars out in less than perfect conditions. This will not stop me, but I am now going to drive with this characteristic in mind.

You must be registered for see images attach

dirt on the cowl. :drive:

Nick

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks and sounds like the ideal conditions for just what happened. Good thing there wasn't a tree right there...it would have been a different story for sure.....:omg:

Keep the shiny side up :2tu:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was gonna ask about tires as well. If you still have the oem's it's time to upgrade. I got PS2's waiting to go on my RT/10. Call Jon B. :) Glad to see you are o.k.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Gald you and the car are OK !!

As a teaching case FOR OTHERS WHO ARE NEWER TO the Viper experience, you have offered a nearly perfect description of a circumstance (or four !!) to avoid...at least on the open road !!!

Your words:
" was out on a drive today. It was mid 40's, overcast... two lane/semi-private road with some loose pebbles/gravel/etc in spots.
I took a 20mph turn at about 50mph...expected to be exiting with a little slide."

With the above series of key word-phrases entered as a "search", one will find many similar situations...some of which had far more disasterous outcomes...most of which are preventable.

Cold temp means more horsepower and less traction...bad combo...even without the pebbles/gravel, overly ambitious corner entry speed, to say nothing of the planned "wow factor" likely aimed at "the corvette guys"!!!

I hope that folks read and heed your stated self-advice:
" I am now going to drive with this characteristic in mind."

Admittedly, MOST OF US have done the very same thing AT LEAST ONCE (or more!!!)...and are thankful that we didn't do serious damage.

Thanks for posting this sadly all-too-frequent, northern climate "rite of Spring"...you may be saving grief for all of those who read this carefully.

Come on Spring...bring some warm temps and sticky tires with you!!!

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve.

ps2s at that temp get fairly hard
Oh yeah. I was very comfortable pushing the tail out, until the steering wheel wouldn't turn any further. That was when I realized how little traction the tires had.

Here are some pictures I took earlier in the day, edited by the owner of the C5.

Nick

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You had a good group!!

We are hoping for better weather here mid next week...maybe get the "cars & coffee" and track-lapping groups up and running regularly.

I know that you've been around quite a while, Nick...but I forgot to ask how much hp your car might be making??

Have a great Spring,

Steve

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow beautiful pictures, sounds like you had some fun there huh?

Maybe try 29-31 psi cold on the PS2's, just a thought. That corner with no one around actually was a good spot for that to happen, you picked it right hahaa!

Love that you are really driving the car.

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least drop your tire pressure. I run 24psi in my Kumho's.
I will lower them.
Is your car out?

You had a good group!!

We are hoping for better weather here mid next week...maybe get the "cars & coffee" and track-lapping groups up and running regularly.

I know that you've been around quite a while, Nick...but I forgot to ask how much hp your car might be making??

Have a great Spring,

Steve
I really don't know, catless with B&B catback on a '99 ACR with pump 93, no tune. According to a write-up I saw, the 420rwhp range. :dunno:

Wow beautiful pictures, sounds like you had some fun there huh?

Maybe try 29-31 psi cold on the PS2's, just a thought. That corner with no one around actually was a good spot for that to happen, you picked it right hahaa!

Love that you are really driving the car.
Had lots of fun. Even after the spin. It was a good show for the group. :lmao:
I think that 30psi is going to be a good starting point for psi.

Nick

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.. edited magazine or drifting videos make it look easy, this is an entertaining video of behind the scenes spin out action

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKsxctt8yE&feature=PlayList&p=08932F7261E23DF4&index=42[/media]

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it out today for a short spin. Goes in Tuesday to Autoform to finish the roll bar set-up. Then after that have to put in a new rack.

That vid is from my home track...Gratten.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out on a drive today. It was mid 40's, overcast, and we were on a two lane/semi-private road with some loose pebbles/gravel/etc in spots.
I took a 20mph turn at about 50mph with a nice line, but expected to be exiting with a little slide. Anyways the tail kicked out, so I attempted to power out, but then realized the steering was at full lock and the tail was still coming around. :omg: So I clutched in & tried to keep it in one place. Ended up getting the tires a little dirty.
The corvette guys that were out with me, are now afraid to drive my car. :rolaugh:

Anyways, now I know why people are scared to take these cars out in less than perfect conditions. This will not stop me, but I am now going to drive with this characteristic in mind.

dirt on the cowl. :drive:

Nick

Are you telling us the Corvette guys took the same curve at the same speed without incident and they were saved by traction control? I know most on this site state they don't need "nanny controls", but an awful lot of Viper owners have experienced the same event you recounted. In the 40 degree range with some loose material on the road surface is more what I would call normal driving conditions.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at 40 as the min temp I will take her out. And at that temp I drive very carefully.

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it out today for a short spin. Goes in Tuesday to Autoform to finish the roll bar set-up. Then after that have to put in a new rack.

That vid is from my home track...Gratten.
Sweet, I cannot wait to see it.

Are you telling us the Corvette guys took the same curve at the same speed without incident and they were saved by traction control? I know most on this site state they don't need "nanny controls", but an awful lot of Viper owners have experienced the same event you recounted. In the 40 degree range with some loose material on the road surface is more what I would call normal driving conditions.
No, the corvettes went much slower. The road had gravel/sand on it (runs along a beach) and they didn't want it kicking up onto their cars. I run clear bra at different points on the Viper, so I'm not worried about chips.

Nick