Sputtering on Acceleration?

G-Fulm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2005 Viper, 34k miles, only mods include cat back exhaust.

When I accelerate heavy into the 4k rpm range the exhaust notes on the passenger side sounds like the car is sputtering and I notice a lack of power. If I keep accelerating up and past 4.5k into 5k, it will stop sputtering, sound normal, and the power comes back.

Any suggestions on what it could be? I have checked the spark plugs on the right bank and everything looks fine. No cracks or unusual heat wear.

Thanks guys.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI I was able to diagnose my cats by measuring exhaust flow at each outlet. If you have stock exhaust, this would prove difficult due to the crossover, but would likely still give an indication.

OP
OP
G

G-Fulm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So it ends up that we have a bad ignition wire.

Was changing the coolant and running the engine, getting the air out of the system and all that, when I heard a louder than normal "ticking" noise.

Looked around a bit and cylinder 3's spark plug wire was arching (electrically) over to the valve cover.

So right now it is zip tied away from anything metal, and the car is running great with no sputtering on accelerations.

Now the question...What's the best set of ignition wires for the money? Stock? MSD? Quality?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang