SRT-10 DRIVING IMPRESSIONS (pic too!)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post (both VOI and SRT related).

Well, I just came in from doing four "hot laps" at the autocross with a new silver SRT. Our favorite Bill Pemberton suggested I would enjoy it and gave me his earlier slot. Even though we all know it, I will still say it again: Bill Pemberton is simply one of the best guys in the whole Viper nation, and he sells Vipers too!

Okay, quick impression before I head out to the track one last time: <FONT COLOR="blue"><FONT size="5">INCREDIBLE!!!!</FONT s></FONT c>

The car is absolutely fantastic. And let this be said right up front: While the styling just is not that stunning (I will take my GTS over it any day in that one department), the performance AND functionality will simply BLOW IT AWAY. For you heel-and-toe guys, the pedals are PERFECT. Placed in the middle this time (and can be adjusted electronically), they are aluminum with raised cutouts for better grip. The power was noticably stronger, especially playing largely in second gear. Very responsive - tap the gas pedal and it will launch smoothly and easily. Nail it and it will launch like the space shuittle. The car handles beautifully and tracks much better than the other cars. Pretty easily corrected if you do happen to break loose. For those that like to play with the parking brake on the autocross (or that like Starsky and Hutch), it has it's own caliper on the rear brake disk and does an admirable job. Oh yeah, and the brakes? YOU WILL BE BLOWN AWAY. This car stops HARD, straight, and with no noticable fade after a brake-happy guy like me nails 'em (yeah, not really enough time to see fade anyway). In the autocross you can absolutely nail the throttle and then late brake into a hard corner. The car is on rails and goes where you want it to. FAR more predictable than either the Gen I or II.

So, to paraphrase the mighty Chuck with Two Vipers: If you are a poser (and there is nothing wrong with that, as I may be one to some degree), keep your GTS or RT/10. If you want to DRIVE your car any place outside of a car show, the new SRT-10 is the car you will want, even after a short drive. Was I alone in this opinion? Nope. Every single person that came out of those cars after the drive (an easy 30+) could not believe how vastly different and improved this car is over what they are driving today. These were not automotive journalists or DC spin doctors, these were Gen I & II Viper owners just like you and me. ALL of them, without exception, were blown away by this car.

You must be registered for see images

Now I have no doubt that somebody will come away and say "Eh, it was so-so". It may not be the "exotic" that the current Vipers represent, but when you get this car moving, you will forget that fact within a few seconds - and never look back. Now if I can just figure out how to be able to afford the black one I have on order...
supergrin.gif

Chris

S

SUN RA KAT

I'm 6'5" tall and can fit in my GTS only with the 2" seat lowering kit & would not be able to fit in the RT-10 even with the 2" seat lowering kit. So, how's the headroom for us small giants?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is indeed a very nice car.Great brakes.Forgiving.Easy to drive.Not twichy.Nice features.But does not make my blood boil.There are two things missing.Auto tranny and cupholders.If they build it into a coupe I might have one in a second. Bruce

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At one of the VOI tech sessions, way before it started, I asked the head Dodge dude (don't remember his name) if the coupe will be produced. He played a cat and mouse game with me about the current coupe, but later said, with an easily understandable grin, that I should take my clues from the comp coupe, and left it at that. I said to him that by his smile, things are probable. He said that first they must get the SRT out the door, do the SRT-4 and Ram SRT, then, who knows -----. Since the timing for the Ram is end of next year, I'll bet a decision for the GTS will come some time in 04, with delivery in 05.

I'll also bet what you see in the comp coupe will be the GTS, with some minor changes. Looking GOOD!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21