SRT-10 is History!

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I did it! Had to trade one of them and chose the 04 SRT with 950 miles. Kept the 01 GTS with 2900 miles. Although I really grew to like the looks of the SRT (silver) I felt it still had not matured yet and might need a few more years before it would. By then the coupe may be available and I would go for the coupe. Also, I was reminded by some members here that I can always get another SRT but not a NEW GTS. So it was with mixed emotions that I dropped it off and drove home in my new MB SL600 with a Twin Turbo V12, about 520 HP and 590 lbs/ft torque.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i agree with keeping the GTS over the SRT because i would have but trading any viper for a benz???????

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good choice Fred!

If you wanna go back to Gen 3, wait for the comp coupe, sounds like its gonna be killer

What color is your GTS?

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were the SRT-10 and Benz both daily drivers? How many passengers can the Benz carry? Certainly not a step down in power, but a minor upgrade.

Cudaman :usa:

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Mercedes-Benz - The 2004 SL600 Roadster
Featuring a 493 horsepower twin-turbocharged V-12 engine, the SL600 is a remarkable fusion of luxury, style and peerless performance.

MSRP $126,970.00*
Engine Twin turbocharged 5.5L 36-valve V-12 engine
Net Power 493 hp @ 5,000 rpm
Net Torque 590 lb-ft @ 1,800 - 3,500 rpm
http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/SL600R.jsp

Sorry but the SL600 does nothing for me, you should have kept the SRT!
Good luck with your MB

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT or GTS? It doesn't sound like you drive either of them much so what's it matter? :)

The Mercedes is an excellent choice but don't they weigh in just under a Panzer? The SRT would smoke it all day in performance and yes, even looks. :)

Just givin' ya grief Fred. Bring either one of them to Sebring Sunday, May 23 for some fun.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> The Mercedes is an excellent choice but don't they weigh in just under a Panzer? The SRT would smoke it all day in performance

Don't count the Benz out so fast. My big S600 family car has run 11.59 @ 121 with just an ECU flash and drag radials, while at the same track our SRT/10 has run 11.66 @ 122 with light head porting and a K&N intake. The SL600 is a few ticks quicker than the S, owing to its being somewhat lighter and smaller...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D*mmitt Ben! Making me look up all this stuff.

The thing weighs 4501 lb!!! If it has any chance at all of hanging with a SRT/10 it better bring along a spare set of brake pads and with a stopping distance 25 feet longer than the SRT he best hope the SRT driver is a rookie.

As for 1/4. You know the SRT will run high 11's consistantly bone. The "Panzer" is able to hang with that.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=7782

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that that particular SL600 test was an anomoly with an amazing 0-60 in 3.6, and the 1/4 mile in 11.9@ 120MPH! (Lambo Murcielago's time)
Where other tests have put it closer to 0-60 in 4.3 and the 1/4 mile in 12.3@ 117MPH.(Lambo Gallardo's time)

But despite the weight of the car, it's V12 twin turbo engine is impressive, and a Viper driver who wasn't on his guard could quickly be seeing MB taillights. I have. :eek: Right, Ben?

Of course going around corners is another matter.
But for a luxurious cruiser, it's ego-leveling-fast for cocky performance car drivers.

Enjoy your new MB. :2tu:

-Dean.

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the V12 is broken in (about one more week) I will put my trusty Passport Vehicle Permforance Computer on the windshield and post the 0-60 and quarter mile times. BTW, for tim721, the GTS is red. One final note. When Renntech Engineering in West Palm Beach, Fl puts a new SL600 on their dyno they consistently see 20 to 30 HP more than MB advertizes. I have been told by various MB people that MB purposely underestimates the power of the V12. Why I do not know. Any way, just drop the hammer, no missed shifts, and hang on. With the ESP on I hope to see about a 4 sec run to 60. This with the luxery and COMFORT of a quality automobile. Think of it as a Viper with Breeding!

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 600's are underated as to not show up the 55 models from AMG, hence the identical hp ratings of 493 (500 in Europe due to a slightly different measurement).

Fred, are you going to send the ECU to RENNtech? There is a CL600 running at Bradenton that has clicked off an 11.4 on street tires (not DR's)! Your car should have similar potential due to similar weights I would imagine.

Does there happen to be lap times at the same track for the SL and the SRT? The 'Ring maybe? I bet the average driver would be faster in the MB and a very good driver only a few seconds away from his SRT times in an SL. Heresy I know.

That car is a great complement to a GTS. I've been thinking of trading the CL for a SL600. Nice to have the drop top capability here in FL as well as the performance increase over my 55.

Chad

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[image]http://vca2.viperclub.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6033&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1[/image]

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help! what am I **** wrong. I want to post a pic of the car. I uploaded the pic to the Viper "Member gallery site" but want to post it over here. When I click on "image" it asks for a "URL" Http://...I thought I was doing it right but all I get is what you see???

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad Viper: Yes, I think they would look great! I really liked the wheels on my SRT-10. BTW, do you know what I did wrond in trying to get that pic to post?? Also, I may go to Renntech for the mod. Have not decided yet.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd tell you but you'd have to sell the MB and get you SRT back.

Ok I'll tell. You selected the path in the browser bar. That happens to be the path of the page. Instead you should right mouse click on the image and select properties from the drop down. In the properties box you will see the URL address of the image. Copy the image URL address and place it in between the IMAGE tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery