SRT/10 Musings - long

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the good fortune to spend 3 days driving a Silver SRT/10 and thought I'd give my thoughts. I like to be a bit of an iconoclast and am not quite the Stepford Viper Owner many others are, so hopefully this will be farily objective. For perspective, I have a '93 RT/10 and 2001 GTS for comparison.

Appearance: I'll be darned, but the car has grown on me. I am convinced it is more dramatic than the first show cars, as the fenders are raised much more and the side coves are very deep. But Dodge was clealy aiming at a broader, and perhaps different, audience: the strongest positive reaction I received was from Porsche and BMW owners, more than one of which prefer the new car to their own. These same folks commonly refer to the GTS as a "clown shoe."

Interior: The seats are fantastic, with aggressive and tall bolsters from thigh to shoulder and suede in the seat area, so you don't move around. I like having a real dash-mounted glove box and a shallow center console storage area. I don't think the materials are that much nicer looking than the older car (the padded dash does have a nice tactile feel, though). The pedals are better, with the addition of a dead pedal, but the gas & brake are still too far apart for my style of heel & toe. I miss having the speed-controlled volume on the radio (it's gone with the new "corporate" radio). The worst thing, and a real problem, is the fact that 3 of the 4 "waterfall" gauges are completely obscured by my hand & arm while driving. The old gauge placement was much, much better.

Top: Tons better than the RT, but you must open the trunk to raise & lower the top. I had visions of simply pulling to the side of the road and reaching over my shoulder to raise the top, but alas, no. Fit & finish is very good, as is the weather seal. The glass rear window will prove to be a real joy over time. There is quite a bit of wind noise, though.

Driving: This car feels much stiffer and more stiffly sprung than my GTS, so I don't think the driving expereience was softened there. Visibility is quite good, despite the small window in the top. The brakes are much more robust and more heavily boosted; There is even a proper and integral duct for the brakes from the front fascia. I look forward to really using them ******* track to see how they do. The engine was still in break-in mode, but felt mightly strong even at part throttle and below 4000 rpm. The shorter front overhang sure helped me in the "scrape zones" that I commonly encounter with the GTS. I feel confident this car will be better on track, but by how much remains to be seen.

Weight: I couldn't resist, so I put it on my race car scales and the total, with 1/2 tank fuel and no driver, was 3362. The corners were nearly perfect, with LF: 842, RF: 852, LR: 852, RR: 815, so corners were within .7% of 50/50. With me in the car, the corner weights stayed good, with the cross weights actually switching bias, but only by .7% again. LF: 895, RF: 850, LR: 934, RR: 847, total of 3524. My RT/10 weighs 3630 with me in it, so this car is a about 100 lbs lighter than my RT/10. I have not scaled my GTS, but I think the weight loss of the car is not as good as I'd hoped, as the Gen I cars were notoriously heavy.

Bottom line: A more refined and cosmetically subdued version of our beloved Viper, that promises to perform incrementally better.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the report!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kverges:
Top: Tons better than the RT, but you must open the trunk to raise & lower the top. I had visions of simply pulling to the side of the road and reacing over my shoulder to raise the top, but alas, no.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

***?! Why haven't I heard/read about this before?? Ugh.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That isn't to bad, but they should have included a trunk release inside the cockpit. This will be a good after market product. Maybe they will throw it in next years SRT-10?

My only other big complaint is the width of the seats. People smaller than I have said the same thing when they sit inside for the first time. Maybe we can remove some of the padding in the side bolsters? Anyone from CAAP have an answer to this?

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir Fang:
That isn't to bad, but they should have included a trunk release inside the cockpit. This will be a good after market product. Maybe they will throw it in next years SRT-10?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keyfob has the trunk release --- why would you need one inside the car? Couple pounds more weight.

OP
OP
K

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that the SRT an RT are about the same weight, then, but remember the RT might be weighed with no top. Advertised weight for the SRT is 3380, so my weights seem to be pretty accurate.

OP
OP
K

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot it was such a non-issue. No side sill heat to speak of. It was a cold day, but I went on 1+ hour drives and would have expected to detect some interior heat.

I am confident the press' side-sill diatribe is a non-issue.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here on heat. Went for a 70 mile drive yesterday and there was no heat inside (actually needed to use the heater) and the sidesills were just warm.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith, be sure to post once you've had a chance to take it to the track. I'm wondering if the accolades I'm hearing about the new suspension/braking can possibly be true.

It was good to see you featured in Automobile a month back. Nice to know some mags aren't scared of an experienced driver.

John H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir Fang:
My only other big complaint is the width of the seats. People smaller than I have said the same thing when they sit inside for the first time. Maybe we can remove some of the padding in the side bolsters? Anyone from CAAP have an answer to this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God forbid it actually have something with side support for spirited cornering - ouchie, how uncomfortable. Muchless actually having more suitable seats for this car such as Sparcos. This isn't a Dom Deluise edition Town Car.

John H

John H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kverges:
Oh, I almost forgot it was such a non-issue. No side sill heat to speak of. It was a cold day, but I went on 1+ hour drives and would have expected to detect some interior heat.

I am confident the press' side-sill diatribe is a non-issue.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keith, I would wait to pass judgement on the side sills until the car can actually be DRIVEN beyond the idling required for break-in and also in weather that isn't borderline freezing (sub-freezing for Y2K's posts). Being a convertible sports car, it's more suited to hard driving in Texas summers. I would wait until then.

John H

OP
OP
K

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why the seats amaze me so much - they did not go with the percentile to fit a bigger guy - they are perfect for 160-180 lb guys. It would be kind of cool if you could order a seat size - you sure can with race seats, which come in 1" width increments - surely that would not be too costly and what a neat idea for a car that has your name on the window sticker - why not make it "tailored" to fit, too?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post,

So according to the scale the SRT is about the same weight as a Gen 2 RT/10. Perhaps even a bit heavier, since the RT is supposed to be just under 3300 stock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960