SRT-10's handling feels weird.. is this normal?

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've searched and asked around, but would like to hear your guys' opinion before I do anything stupid...

Does your SRT-10 on a straight, slightly wavy (i.e. very stretched, shallow bumps) type road make you feel like the rear end is unsettled, the car feels like it's "nervous", for a lack of a better word..? It also has this elastic, slow reacting feeling which makes you pause for a second, because it feels like it's about to suddenly spin.

Mine does that and really makes me worry, especially at higher speeds. It doesn't feel planted on the road, almost like it's not sure if it wants to snap around..

I put the car on the lift the other day for its service, and noticed that the rear passenger shock was leaking oil ever so slightly. Could that be it? The car's suspension is fully stock, except for lowering caps.

I drive/have driven cars of equal power, and more power (probably less torque though), and I am quite sure this isn't due to the RWD power going to the ground. When I first got the car, I though it felt like this because I am sitting so close to the rear axle that the effect was more pronounced (mid engined car effect), but it can't be that bad from the factory.. can it?

OP
OP
G

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what year is your viper and what tires are on there and approx how old are the tires?

Oops, forgot to mention that!

2005 SRT-10, Stock wheels, run-flats, about 1-2 years (max) old, they came with the car, they have plenty of tread etc.. and grip quite decently, though are crap on sharp bumps.

I have a set of Pirellis that will go on there as soon as I can get them mounted to my new wheels.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires, Age (!), pressure...check!

Alignment?!

Have it inspected.

:drive:
My Vipers have been "nervous" with a wrong setup/alignment.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...about 1-2 years (max) old,....

tatatatat....the tires might be from 2004?
That's 5 (!) years old. Garbage.

Check the DOT number!

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it could be that the tires are very wide. I noticed the same feeling but to me it was more like it would grab any rut in the road and walk on you. It would never pull off the road it would jsut follow the grooves in the pavement. I was told it was just the width of the tire causing it to walk.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Symptoms of 4-5 year old runcraps.......

Are you driving on Cyprus? Sand and spray conspire to make tire decay happen faster, and traction worse!

Last edited:

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is more nervous than say....a Porsche GT3. The Viper always demands your full attention. I dont particularly care for the nervous tendancies of the Viper but I think a lot of it has to do with the wide front and rear tires and how they interact with the surface of the road. In the GT3, you can do 150 mph and fall asleep at the wheel it is so composed. The PS2s are FAR superior tire than the runflats. That would be the first thing I would do to mitigate the effects you are feeling.

Flash

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would have to agree with you about the car feeling nervous............I have a 03 with brand new pirelli's 19/20 setup with the car lowered with eibachs and i have never really felt comfortable a high speeds in this car. My C5 was great at high speeds. I do have a couple friends with 08 coupes and they say they feel great at high speeds.........................
I think your car is probably fine its just the car period!!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...lowered with eibachs....

That's probably part of your problem.:eater:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Tires make a huge difference on these cars.....so does the alignment.

Loose the runflats and have your alignment checked. These cars, when properly set up with good tires, are so stable at speed that you can relax, much like Flash says above in his Porsche.

I've cruised my 2004 for over 50 miles at 165 mph during the Silver State and it felt very stable. At that time, it had new tires and a proper alignment for speed.

Good luck,

Dan

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would have to agree with you about the car feeling nervous............I have a 03 with brand new pirelli's 19/20 setup with the car lowered with eibachs and i have never really felt comfortable a high speeds in this car. ........I think your car is probably fine its just the car period!!

This one is EASY! Your tires, especially sidewalls, are an integral part of your suspension.

The wheel you choose = the athletic shoes for your own feet. LIGHT, Cushioned is best.

Lowering the car is good for CG, but only if REALIGNED. (?)

But you just put 19-20" combat boots, (3pc even heavier than 1pc) on the car, and cut your sidewall height and cushioning (transitional response in tire lingo) by ~25% with an inferior tire, and then suggest to blame the car..... ??

If you had gone 18"-18" "Nike Airs" you would be pleasantly surprised at the nible handling, ride, and response..... its like a vacation for your suspension and steering

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2. Lower tier psi 29 . Drive over a dip in the road that does not have tier ruts so the car almost leaves the ground. When it comes down it should be straight ,if the alinement is correct. I would buy new tiers. My gts is safer with the new skins;)

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JohnB is right on the money. He supplied me with kuhmos . They are great.:2tu:

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get those runflats OFF the Viper!! :omg:
I bet you that is what most of what you are feeling is. The first thing I did when I bought my 06' was to get those factory runflats off and put PS2's on! :2tu:
Night and day difference.:drive:
Give Jon B. a call.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This one is EASY! Your tires, especially sidewalls, are an integral part of your suspension.

The wheel you choose = the athletic shoes for your own feet. LIGHT, Cushioned is best.

Lowering the car is good for CG, but only if REALIGNED. (?)

But you just put 19-20" combat boots, (3pc even heavier than 1pc) on the car, and cut your sidewall height and cushioning (transitional response in tire lingo) by ~25% with an inferior tire, and then suggest to blame the car..... ??

If you had gone 18"-18" "Nike Airs" you would be pleasantly surprised at the nible handling, ride, and response..... its like a vacation for your suspension and steering

And your probably right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the car seemed to feel the same with the factory springs and factory wheels (i know they were run flats...).
Realigned........you caught me...lol thats next on the list of "I have to do"
Well I like the way it looks....:lmao:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'm "shocked" no one else has commented on the "rear passenger side shock leaking ever so lightly". I'd send you one at a great price if you werent in Cyprus as I have one just sitting in my basement always getting in the way. An alignment check and tires would probably help and if you really want a huge difference - the moton shocks are amazing - but not cheap.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have old runcraps on my 05 - doesn't feel nervous at all; feels pretty planted to me. All the other suggestions above can only help though. I think something's not right with your suspension.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've searched and asked around, but would like to hear your guys' opinion before I do anything stupid.....I put the car on the lift the other day for its service, and noticed that the rear passenger shock was leaking oil ever so slightly. Could that be it?

I MISSED THIS!

One shock leaking ever-so-slightly might mean thats all the fluid that remaining.

That INDEED can make a squirrellly ride......I remember my 93 almost killed me in 95.... scary at the rear. But the tires make it worse

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And your probably right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the car seemed to feel the same with the factory springs and factory wheels (i know they were run flats...).
Realigned........you caught me...lol thats next on the list of "I have to do"
Well I like the way it looks....:lmao:

Bless you my son, go now, and SPIN no more..............

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '06 Coupe. Just replaced the run craps with ps2's from PartsRack. Boy what a difference. The run craps were really bad, seemed to follow every part of the road and if I would brake hard it got worse. Don't drive at speed until you replace the tires and that shock.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched out the stockers for HRE with Pirellis in 19 front 20 rear. Even the larger diameter wheel combo is lighter than the stock setup with runflats. The problem with the stock setup is the weight of the setup and the harshness of the runflats. Put a non runflat on it will make a nice improvement, lighten up the entire setup and you will see a vast improvement grip and comfort. I even went at far as Motons and stoptech rotors. Man the ride is incredible.

I took my HREs off for some polishing and put the stock back on for the time being. Man they really are horrible. I still cant believe they actually were production tires.

I have an '06 Coupe. Just replaced the run craps with ps2's from PartsRack. Boy what a difference. The run craps were really bad, seemed to follow every part of the road and if I would brake hard it got worse. Don't drive at speed until you replace the tires and that shock.

OP
OP
G

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Holy smokes! I travel for a day and all these replies, sweet! Thanks guys and gals :)

The run flats are definitely on their way out. I hope I'll see a difference with the HRE/Pirelli setup (I know, they're no Nike Air Maxs), but it's what I currently have, and by the sounds of it will make things better.

The reason I'm not too worried *yet* about the shock is that the car, when it got here, went though an MOT (a specialized inspection) which tested rear suspension and the shocks; both sides performed equally, and only one side is leaking.

Symptoms of 4-5 year old runcraps.......

Are you driving on Cyprus? Sand and spray conspire to make tire decay happen faster, and traction worse!

The closest this car has been to either of those was on the container, while being shipped in! I live quite far from any beach, and most definitely would never take it near sand. Heck on the odd days it rains, it has never left the garage once :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery