SRT 12.16@118mph 1/4 mile video

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What this video illustrates more than anything is the potential of the SRT-10. When you consider the 60’ time of 2.07 sec., for this run, along with the lost traction on the first two shifts, this car is classified correctly as a high 11’s car.

Good drivers on this board have been saying all along that the power is there, it’s just hard to get to the ground. Keep in mind, when DC added 50hp from GenI to genII, they also went up 1” on the rear wheel size (18”). Again, when they added another 50hp to genIII, they went up another 1” to 19”. Transmission gearing and differential ratios have remained the same for all three generations, meaning the SRT differential ratio of 3.07:1 is equivalent to a 2.63:1 when compared to the first generation. DC keeps giving us more HP and torque, they’re just making it more difficult for the average driver to use. What the manufacturer is telling us is, “Hey, it’s all there baby, figure it out for yourself.”

A nice set of drag radials on 18” wheels are a must. This would bring better traction and raise the differential ratio to a 3.29:1 equivalence, compared to the GenII. Viper CC racing has a larger crank pulley they claim would help move coolant through this puppy better. The car runs about 10 degrees too hot right now (200’F) and the power gain is noticeable when the SRT has had a chance to cool down. The rest depends on whatever your wallet will bear.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I think it shadows what is to be expected from the Gen3 coupe, if and when it comes out. Knowing that, it looks like rear gears would be a good first move.

Anyway, good luck with your beast!

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic: Thanks for the response. When the GenIII coupe comes out, it's going to be one hot ride. They should have the bugs worked out by then, and I plan to be the first one in line. :)

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
60' times are very hard to bring down on the SRT. I thought with the additional grip (tire size) and gearing (wheel size) it would be easier than the GTS. I finally got a 1.928 60' last week at the Greer dragway. 1/8 mile run: 7.9 @ 93mph. Not great but getting better. The cool weather may have made most of the difference to my earlier runs. I like the idea of the smaller pulley and slicks.....where to buy em?

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

Some of the best times for stock GenII have come out of Englishtown, NJ:

Jason Heffner: 11.58
Jaime Furman: 11.61
Mike Brunton: 11.68

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool Rick ,

That was actually an honest question from me for once.. :laugh:

Just curious if a STOCK SRT10 has beaten the best times of a GenII as of yet.. And if not, why? Genuinly curious..

Gerald

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

Some of the best times for stock GenII have come out of Englishtown, NJ:

Jason Heffner: 11.58
Jaime Furman: 11.61
Mike Brunton: 11.68

All stock with stock tires? If so that is awesome! If not then what is the mod limit for comparison?

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

I think the best time posted to this board, for an all stock SRT-10, was John Myrick’s 11.86 at 122.95mph. Remember, there have been 8 years of Gen II production and a total of 8,000 cars. That’s a lot of time slips. The times reported above from Englishtown, were all achieved by excellent drivers, on one of the stickiest tracks in the country. Given time, the SRT will produce similar results. Notice I say “similar.” My SRT only dyno’ed 23 hp more than my 2000 RT/10 (438 vs. 415 rwhp), and 6 lbs. of torque (465 vs. 459). This increase, in my opinion, is offset by the 1” increase in wheel size, when talking about 1/4 mile performance.

Bottom line: In stock form, I think time will show the SRT-10 to have a very slight edge over the Gen II Viper at the drag strip. I base this on the MPH achieved in Myrick’s run above.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have changed out my front shocks with some fully adjustable shocks and slightly softer coils. My front end rises nicely under acceleration. I have not done the rears yet. They don't have them available. This will increase the weight transfer greatly. I haven't done any track testing yet, but as you all know this is a very successful way to improve traction. I didn't go all out as ********* drag racer would, just a happy medium. The car still handles great, and the ride is much improved. The lift is very noticeable. I have done this on the last three Vipers and I must say theres no better to improve traction for the money. I also lowered the car about one inch, looks so much better, no front end dragging at all. This one mod. does so much, and for the most part is very reversible with the turn of a couple dials. You must realign the front end, and while you're at it, you can change the settings on the car for greatly improved control of the car under full throttle, and this also improves traction. No real loss of drivability, and no tire wear to speak of, but I'll keep an eye on those over priced tires as time goes. I will take the car to the track in the days ahead. I have an aluminum flywheel and carbon clutch setup coming. The clutch in this car is just not going to handle the power and over-gearing. Tom from Carolina Clutch is building the set-up now. I can't waite to get this in the car.