SRT Driveability and other SRT Questions

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed a couple of driveability items on my SRT lately. First, since my Viper has the intake valve issue I would like to hear from others to see if these characteristics are related to the valve issue, normal for the SRT or unusual.

During a cold garage start (never had it parked outside so I have no idea how a real cold start would go) I get a lot of stuttering and need to feather the gas to keep it running. Only for 10 or so seconds. Performance during tip in is anemic also for the first half mile or so. Doesn't seem like all cylinders are firing consistently.

Second, with a warmed car when I shift from first to second I get a lull or lag. This seems to occur during partial throttle conditions, even at a 0-60 in 6 second pace.

My last thing is I put gas in again today (thirsty little devil). This thing is very hard to fill. I can not find a position where the tank can accept a reasonable fill rate. Burned me today as I overfilled the tank because it kept shutting off so I did not know when the tank was really getting filled.

P.S. I have gotten 11.4 mpg since break-in was completed. This is with pretty casual driving. Similar driving in my RT/10 has given 14.5 mpg. Another valve effect or normal for the SRT?

riwracer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the SRT 1st to 2nd shifting issue. I have a new black SRT with 400 miles on it. My 2003 does not have a valve issue.
I originally thought there was a bog from 1st to 2nd, but on closer attention, I have found that if you only do a partial throttle, between 4000-4500 rpm, you do not get the full power surge expected. You seem to need to apply 3\4 to full throttle when going into 2nd to really feel set back in your seat. This is in contrast to my corvettes and previous 2000 Viper GTS, where partial throttle applied in shifting to 2nd gear gave you an instant surge forward, often with a chirp.

It seems though, this may becoming less noticable with more mileage and strangely enough, with the recent replacement to a short shifter.
Any more comments are appreciated.
:)

2003 SRT black
2000 GTS black [sold]
2002 Z06 yellow
2001 C5 convert [sold]
93 ZR1 anniversary
67 435 convert
2003 AMG E55 [expected in June 03--Black]

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT/10 came with a short shifter from the factory. I think they all did.
I only start mine in the garage, and no problem so far.
There is no lack of power from 1st to 2nd.
I do have trouble filling the tank. Milage is about 12 in the city and
20 on the highway. I have 4500 miles.

Dean

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT has no problem when first started or shifting when cold-and I do not have the valve problem. However, my 98 GTS had a similar problem to your SRT in that I couldn't drive it until it was warmed up. It would stutter and be hard to drive when cold. I think this is just a Viper characteristic.

Tim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang