SRT prices looking more attractive

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a bad price.. but here's a few questions that bug me.

1. Why does someone buy a roughly $80K car and not spend the $190 for FREAKING FLOOR MATS?

2. Same as Questino #1 - for the $250 truck kit.

3. The exterior looks great. The interior looks "shiny" and treated with something and they apparently don't take the time to detail / vacuum the interior.

To me - those three things point to a car that was purchased by someone that didn't do what they could to take care of it - i.e. good break in? Keep it clean inside? Etc. In other words, they didn't buy it with the intention of keeping it, and treated it as such.

You can have my 5900 mile SRT for about the Buy It Now price and I can tell you how it was broken in, and that includes the mats and trunk kit.

My $.02

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I LOVE my Gen 1, but it would sure be nice to have real windows and a top that goes up and down easily - not to mention the 500/500/500 package and the world class brakes. I know many still prefer the original look of the Gen 1/2 Vipers, but in my opinion, the SRT looks pretty good - especially when you're standing next to it. I still have yet to see a good picture of the SRT that captures the Viper attitude that is still there.

I wonder what will happen to SRT prices if/when an SRT coupe comes out?

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, thats a GREAT buy.... There has to be some kind of issue there (i.e. paintwork etc.) some of the crap I see on Ebay is SCARY.....

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on the Gen 1/Gen 2 board. I won't criticize the SRT on their board. I have driven an SRT. I have a GTS. The people on the Gen 3 board are in denial about how poorly the SRT has done in the market place. They either dismiss the source of the numbers or say all performance cars are struggling.

Clearly the Gen 1/Gen 2 cars have held their value better than what we have seen out of this 2003 SRT in late November of 2004 and this car is in Texas. No cold weather spin. It's still hitting 70 for the highs here in Austin.

DC has made too many of these cars. I don't think the SRT is ugly but it's not a stunning car that elicits viceral responses. It's what someone who bought a Gen 1/2 car gets when they grow up. But we don't want to grow up. The problem is that they have lost some of the original market and have gone into a segment with tons of competition, the refined 500 horsepower civilized non jaw dropping styling segment with the M5 and countless Mercedes.

The SRT has phenomenal brakes. It handles extremely well, definitely tighter than my GTS. But to say anything other than it has been a disaster in the marketplace would take the biggest of SRT apologists to spin.

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I sold my Z06 in July, I could have STOLEN a 4,000 mile Red SRT. But, I was set on a non-stripe/non-ACR/Race Yellow/GTS... Just what I had my heart set on... The prices on the SRT's are VERY close to what you have to pay, for a nice, low mile GTS....

I am on the Gen 1/Gen 2 board. I won't criticize the SRT on their board. I have driven an SRT. I have a GTS. The people on the Gen 3 board are in denial about how poorly the SRT has done in the market place. They either dismiss the source of the numbers or say all performance cars are struggling.

Clearly the Gen 1/Gen 2 cars have held their value better than what we have seen out of this 2003 SRT in late November of 2004 and this car is in Texas. No cold weather spin. It's still hitting 70 for the highs here in Austin.

DC has made too many of these cars. I don't think the SRT is ugly but it's not a stunning car that elicits viceral responses. It's what someone who bought a Gen 1/2 car gets when they grow up. But we don't want to grow up. The problem is that they have lost some of the original market and have gone into a segment with tons of competition, the refined 500 horsepower civilized non jaw dropping styling segment with the M5 and countless Mercedes.

The SRT has phenomenal brakes. It handles extremely well, definitely tighter than my GTS. But to say anything other than it has been a disaster in the marketplace would take the biggest of SRT apologists to spin.

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I sold my Z06 in July, I could have STOLEN a 4,000 mile Red SRT. But, I was set on a non-stripe/non-ACR/Race Yellow/GTS... Just what I had my heart set on... NOW, its to the point were, the prices on the SRT's are VERY close to what you have to pay, for a nice, low mile GTS....

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If DC does not unload the inventory glut new car pricing will be just as attractive. While on a business trip I visited the Conner Ave assembly plant the last week in October. The place was a deserted, as in production was shut down.I thought it was due to model year changes but this is not the case.There is no doubt the SRT is an outstanding performance car but there are enough brands catching up, its getting lost in the pack.BTW the Viper store at Conner Ave has a variety clothes, models, signs etc. at reasonable prices.If your a VCA member make an appointment and visit before Christmas.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the SRT gets much cheaper the ricer crowd will be driving them LOL :cool:

For all the performance pros and cons, whether you like the style or not, fact is the general public are not interested. It's lost that "I gotta get me one of those"

BishopTx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the price that you all believe is good is the buy it price at 61K....the current asking price reserves have not been met. this is probably a duh, but want to make sure no one is getting fooled by the 45K cuurent bid.

at 61K it's a steal.

makes me wonder what my 04 #146/200 White Mamba with 1200 miles is worth

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, AND lets not forget its on EBay. There is always the chance that this car has been painted,wrecked,etc... But if everything checks out... IM Stunned, they are only asking $61k, that IS a steal....

the price that you all believe is good is the buy it price at 61K....the current asking price reserves have not been met. this is probably a duh, but want to make sure no one is getting fooled by the 45K cuurent bid.

at 61K it's a steal.

makes me wonder what my 04 #146/200 White Mamba with 1200 miles is worth

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's nothing! I saw a 2004 SRT10 go for $63k with 3k miles! They are dropping like crazy! I'm getting close to talking myself into one!

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brings up a point; why buy new? You guys who only buy new, if you could save 20K on a year old Vipe with warranty, would you still buy new? What are the real advantages of buying new, other than being the first butt in the seat?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not a bad price.. but here's a few questions that bug me.

1. Why does someone buy a roughly $80K car and not spend the $190 for FREAKING FLOOR MATS?

Most cars sold at auctions do not have floor mats. The dealer selling removes the mats for some reason. On a car with only 9k miles I am really not sure why they do it, as I will bet they did not look worn.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2. Same as Questino #1 - for the $250 truck kit.

The car's been detailed. The mats are off drying somewhere.

You can have my 5900 mile SRT for about the Buy It Now price and I can tell you how it was broken in, and that includes the mats and trunk kit.

And we know YOUR car's been babied! Just kidding mostly, but for this car to wind up straight on eBay, unlikely to have been owned by a VCA member let alone a chapter president and bonafide track ******. ;)

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, AND lets not forget its on EBay. There is always the chance that this car has been painted,wrecked,etc... But if everything checks out... IM Stunned, they are only asking $61k, that IS a steal....

My local dealer could only get a very similar amount for an SRT and it had TNT headers on it. I don't want to break confidence of my Viper tech who told me. But let's not bother with the eBay spin. Very Low 60's is what a 2003 SRT with low miles goes for.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about $59,000$ Yes a little higher mileage and a Florida car. But still not an EBay car, real price. This is really starting to make me think about picking one up, I have been thinking about Jannis car ever since her post, what a deal! Because of the known quality of care and breakin.

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=173786572&dealer_id=22921249&car_year=2003&make=DODGE&distance=any&max_price=65000&model=VIPER&end_year=2005&advcd_on=n&min_price=1000&address=21076&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=2003&color=&cardist=926

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang