SRT Shifter Thread Type??

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the thread type is for the shifter on the Viper? I've got a MGW shifter, and I assume it's the same as the factory one. I'm working on a shift knob for my car, and was hoping someone knew off the top of their head. Thanks in advance!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you bought the correct year MGW unit it will fit the oem thread. Let us know what you make as there is a very limited choice of knobs out there for the SRT compared to what I found for my old GTS. Im still looking for a composite tube style for road racing in my ACR as I had in the GTS.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically, anything could be made, as I'm designing it in Solidworks. I'm working on a special shifter knob for a friend, and figured I'd make a basic one for my Viper as well. Just a round knob like on the Ford GT with the shift pattern engraved on top (Viper specific, not the one shown below), with a brushed finish, and a lip on the bottom for the leather boot to go over.

Now only if someone wouldn't mind telling me the thread, so I could get it machined :D If all else fails, I'll use my actual shifter, but too lazy to pull it off and check. :rolaugh:

You must be registered for see images

WAM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock Viper shifter is a two piece affair. If you are talking about the threads of the upper handle (silver) it is 1/2" x 20 NF.

I installed a white Hurst 6 speed knob on my stock handle (I'm from the 60's). I cut the shift handle about a half inch below the factory knob. I bought a white hurst 6 speed knob for a newer Camaro (you need the Camaro knob because it has a large diameter hole) and took out the brass insert which gives you a diameter hole which slips down over the cut stock shift handle. Just cut off the end until you have the height you like then Epoxy the shift ball onto the cut stock handle (rough up the shift handle which goes into the knob).

Thats more information than you wanted but maybe it will give you ideas.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, might not be the same thread. I replaced my entire shift knob (and long stalk) with an MGW. Did you retain the long stalk when you switched out the ball on top?

WAM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I cut down the stock shifter (long stalk). I beleive the stock Viper knob does not thread onto the long stalk. The long stalk threads onto a lower stalk which is the 1/2 x 20 NF I was talking about.

I have never seen a mgw shifter so maybe it is different.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I cut down the stock shifter (long stalk). I beleive the stock Viper knob does not thread onto the long stalk. The long stalk threads onto a lower stalk which is the 1/2 x 20 NF I was talking about.

I have never seen a mgw shifter so maybe it is different.

Yeah, the whole stalk and shift ball are one piece. I thought you somehow separated them :)

Thank you very much for the info, I appreciate it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang