SRT subwoofer replace?

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is my 2nd SRT. The subwoofer sounds really bad in this one. In my first SRT (bought it with 5k miles) it sounded sweet, I assume it was the stock sub but it could have been changed by the first owner.

I had my local stereo shop install a new subwoofer they had in stock and it sounded worse. So I'm going to have them put the old one back in. The old sub doesnt look cracked or blown, but it sounds bad. Any suggestions?

Anybody dropped in a different subwoofer? I searched but couldnt find a good answer, I dont want to replace the door speakers, just the subwoofer with something that performs real good.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put in a JL Audio 6"sub. Cut out the interior porting to make room for the new sub and seal the box (port on top of box). It sounds AWSOME and can handle a good bit of power enclosed.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put in a JL Audio 6"sub. Cut out the interior porting to make room for the new sub and seal the box (port on top of box). It sounds AWSOME and can handle a good bit of power enclosed.

What do you mean by "cut out the interior porting". The sub in there now is 6.5" is the JL sub too long? What exactly did you have to cut out?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No the Sub is a little too wide just the (magnet). The port wraps aorund inside and needs to be cut with a dremmel and then riped it out to make room. The JL fits perfect and no changes to the hole have to be made.

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon...do u have the model # for that sub? TIA.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Should be a 6W0-4 or a 6W0-8, cant remember what the OEM SRT sub's impedance is off the top of my head... probably 8.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read several reviews on the JL and most people are hitting them with 150 RMS and im pumping it with at least that also. It handles it very well especially in a sealed encloure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960