SRT Track Experience

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I spent the weekend at Infineon Raceway driving the SRT lineup. I haven't seen many posts on this subject so I thought this was a good opp to share some highlights.

First, this was a great driving experience; although there wasn't a ton of 1:1 driving with instructors, the opp to drive the SRT fleet in different venues was an incredible experience. The autocross course was tight and challenging, required hands on skill and help from traction control to stay within the cones. When it was time to drive the viper, it was evident folks respected the raw power of the car. The drag strip was a kick, drove the new SRT Jeep which was nuts off the line. Nothing like four wheels to launch you off the line.

The road course at Infineon was amazing, elevation changes, blind corners and a tricky S-curve section that caught a Viper off guard. Actually it was rainy and wet on the course, they lost two vipers to heavy throttle drivers during the day. By the time I was on the road course the track was mostly dry, I had a great run in the Viper, amazing how the car handles and accelerates through the corner.

The program ended with "hot laps" - a trip around the road course sitting side seat to one of the race drivers. This was an incredible ride, I went out with Claude who was driving one of two vipers. We started out behind a yellow viper with every intention of catching him. I had absolutely no idea this car could perform, hook up, handle nor pull like this car did around the track. I was absolutely floored by what this car could do - and I found out he was being a bit cautious due to the track being wet in places - WOW!! Bottom line, this car is truly amazing with potential far beyond what I could ever use in my lifetime.

I would strongly recommend signing up for this experience, spending time with these race car drivers showed me a whole new level of this car. The story gets a bit better as I was asked by the SRT team to come back on Sunday for an interview with Motor Trend radio. This included 1:1 track time in the Viper which I couldn't refuse. I made it back Sunday morning, did my "live" interview from the press box at Infineon with Bob from Motor Trend radio and got 30 min of dedicated track time. It was an amazing experiencel!!

The SRT team had a new blue/white striped coupe that we drove on the autocross - this car looks a 100 times better in person. I was very impressed, brings a little Gen II feel to the Gen III look. The pictures don't do this beast justice imo.

jm

Reaction score
Great review of the SRT Driving Experience!

The SRT Driving program instruction is provided by a select team of Skip Barber Instructors. This team travels around the country with the SRT Track Experience offering an outstanding opportunity to drive the SRT line of vehicles.

This is an event that you want to attend. Bring along family and friends. The most impressive(not counting the Viper) vehicle was the Jeep! From a dead stop it is amazing, few vehicles will stay with it light to light. It handles turns sharp and sweeping, and the brakes feel better then Gen I/II Vipers.

At the end of the day I went with an instructor 1st in the SRT10 Ram Quad, that Big boy really handles, then the SRT8 Jeep - we were chasing the yellow Viper out of pit lane and stuck with it up the first hill and gradually the Snake pulled away with the biggest gap created on the back side with long gradual curves allowing the Viper to show its power and handling advantage. By the end of the first lap the snake was about 3-4 seconds away. The Jeep is a must have!

The performance of the complete SRT line was simply amazing. You do not want to miss this opportunity to experience the SRT line.

This is a Performance Driving event!

I went on Sunday and the track was dry except for a little water runoff in one area.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad to hear the good reviews as i will be doing it sunday at firebird raceway in phoenix,az. :headbang: i will post my review next week.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up my SRT8 Magnum last week. The first guy I took for a ride was a fellow snake owner. "It's almost as fast as a Viper". I plan on taking the new Magnum on the One Lap this spring. Hopefully I will be able to take part in the SRT Track event before then so I can figure out how this car really can handle on a track. I also plan on taking it to the Ill VCA driving school at Gingerman in May.

GoldenVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great post. Thanks! I just bought a new Ram SRT/10 so the SRT Track Experience comes with it. I will be attending the event in Feb 10 at CA Speedway in Fontana,CA. I am looking forward to try the Magnum, 300, and the Jeep SRT-8. :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for what is a "preview" for me; I will take the one at Las Vegas in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to increase my driving abilities with the Viper as well as pick out my future 2nd vehicle.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh, Wanted, I bet I am faster at Firebird than you are this coming Sunday, ha!

OH MAN THIS WILL BE FUN, BP IN MY REARVIEW :D . IF THEY LET BILL AND I ON
THE TRACK AT THE SAME TIME THE SRT EXPERIENCE COULD BE OVER FOR THE REST OF YOU.LOL

BILL WE HAVE TO MAKE A BET ON THE DRAG RACE BUT THE ROAD COURSE YOU WILL MOST
LIKELY WHOOP ME :D

TOM

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to the "experience". I will be at Fontana on Feb 10. Not sure which of my SRT collection to drive, however, since no one has mentioned being able to drive your own vehicle, I guess it doesn't matter. Bill

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wife and I took the SRT TRACK experience at Sears Point raceway friday the 13th. It was 60 degrees with mostly cloud cover all day. It was great thinking we'd be able to drive all the SRT supplied vehicles except the Neon. After the classroom session we were split into three groups and then rotated thru the events as a team.
On the dragstrip of prox 400' was the; 300, the Ram truck and the Grand Cherokee. On that short track the Grand Cherokee ran a best of 5.23 while the 300's best was 5.39[me] Ram was 5.77. We all got to drive each vehicle to get our best time.
The autocross featured the Charger, Crossfire, and Viper, it was a tight layout and the Crossfire was easier to drive between the cones. I got on the nerves of shotgun riding instructors as I continually turned in too early on one particular corner. The good news is they never had to use the kill switch when I drove the Viper.
The actual racetrack driving was way cool as we drove Crossfires, Chargers, Ram trucks, Magnums, and SRT 10 verts and 1 SRT 10 coupe in separate groups of three. We drove behind the pro race drivers in a lead car in single file, no passing. For the most part it was pedal to the metal where the track allowed for 5 full laps in each car. When I was entering the lefthander of the esses I got the rear loose and a thought flashed; Jesus am I going to be loser of the day by crashing the Viper but luckily I caught it in time and unpuckered and drove a little less agressively the rest of my laps.
All the Pro drivers were very congenial and made us feel welcome and shared a wealth of knowledge with us. We learned a lot about car control and enjoyed the EXPERIENCE and we recommend it. Now the wife wants the srt8 grand cherokee and if we get the promised 1% over invoice coupon they promised to send in the mail she may get one.Thanks SRT and DCX and Pro drivers.

Eagles