SRT Track Experience

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished the SRT Experience At NHIS in New Hampshire. First time it has been held at the track. What a great day. This is a cool bonus for any one who purchase any new SRT product. Had a great day and the staff was awesom.:):drive::usa:

MoreBeer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the experience worth paying $500 for? I'm thinking of doing the Autobahn in August as well, but wondering if I should put the money toward a dedicated performance driving school instead, since I don't qualify for a "free" run. I have zero track experience, and VCA-IL membership already qualifies me for a free roadcourse event. Opinions?

-mb

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just went to the Daytona session on May 20th. I was not too impressed as there was very little instruction before we did a course using cones in a parking area. Then without any instruction at all, we did a follow the instructor( he was ahead in his own car -we followed in a identical car) around a shortened Daytona road course. The road course was fun--we did 2 laps then waited in a line to try another car with another instructor. The cars used were SRT jeeps, 300's, chargers, and challengers. As a new viper owner who was hoping for some instruction as to how to properly handle a performance car, it was not very productive for me. After awhile we did get better at the road course, but it still lacked in understanding of what our vipers can do and how to do it. It's one thing to do a road course in a jeep,300,charger or challenger but another entirely to do a road course in a viper. I'd never pay $500.00 for the SRT experience. Because it was free for both my wife and I we did it. I know this will probably not be very well received by the VCA members, but at least it's my honest opinion.
As a last note, be aware that we got a free session for my 2010 viper, but also a free session for our 2005 Comm. Ed Vert. that we bought used. I tried the 2005 vin when I registered and it worked. The original owner must have never used the SRT exp. so my wife also got a free SRT Exp.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT Experience is not a high performance driving school for aspiring racing drivers.

It is the opportunity to drive most of the SRT vehicles in a controlled track environment.

You can see how fast they go, how well they handle, and how good they stop.

They usually have some high speed track time, some autocross, a head to head solom event for time, and some full throttle drag racing time to experience launching from a stop.

You use their cars, their fuel, their track, and learn from their instructors.

How much fun you have will depend on your expectations. If you expect to drive outside your experience/talent, you will most likely be disappointed.

If you want to experience some pretty remarkable cars, running in stock configuration, with oversight by professional instructors, you will most likely have a blast.

The instructors go over the basics of how to get around the track the fastest, and how to use the traction circle to understand some of the laws of physics that pertain to road going cars.

This is a good introduction to driving fast cars fast. Nice first step before taking your own car to a High Performance Driving event.

They no longer allow students to drive the course in Vipers. At the end of the day they give demo rides to some of the attendees in Vipers. This is often the highlight of the day, going around a course you might have struggled with in a Challenger, now in a Viper with a pro driving.

They also run in car camera's so you can see yourself behind the wheel, while a second camera records your track event.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Paul--
Your SRT experience was different than mine--no traction circle(skid pan) was used, and no type of drag experience. It was fun to try the various cars--just thought it would be more than that--at times seemed like just an advert. for the SRT products that we already owned. Thought it would be more than that.---Dave

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John, what free road course do you get to run. And no, 500 is way to much. I think there is a event, full track early August for 199. I've run my vette there like 3 times. Nice track, pretty safe with lots of run off, which hopefully you don't need. It's not the SRT deal, but your on your own, and you get a instructor if you want.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poured rain all day the one I went to at Indianapolis Raceway park. No rain outs. They had a nice new green Viper but it was never started the whole day. The 4 wheel drives rule that day.

OP
OP
S

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have to pay I would recommend going to a driving school. But for Free it was a good day.

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been twice, once in 07 and once in 08 (after purchasing a Charger and Jeep SRT-8s), they were very fun events, but agreed that they're not for instruction. They're as much to push the SRT brand as they are to let you get time driving.

Paul Hawker, I think the modules have changed recently... when I went it was like you described, but I've been on the drivesrt.com web site recently (considering going a 3rd time now with the free Viper ticket) and they've removed the drag racing module and any Viper driving modules.

Closest one to me this year will be at Autobahn in Illinois, which is a 6 hour drive away, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I enjoyed it and benefited from the experience of allowing their cars to break loose in a relatively controlled environment. That being said, it was completely void of anything Viper, which would have been the point of the program for me. As others have stated, for all other than Viper owners, it's quite worthwhile, perhaps even if you had to pay for the experience. For a Viper owner, unless you have absolutely no experience with any type of high performance driving (which would somewhat beg the question of why you'd be buying a Viper) it's not worth the fee. But for free, it's all good.

MoreBeer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! I will be skipping the SRT experience and putting the money towards driving school.

Wikkid, check the illinoisvipers.com website, VCA members get 1 free road course and Autocross event. I will probably hold out until next year though.

-mb

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was definitely fun. My wife is still telling her friends and family how much she enjoyed it. I think it would be a great gift for an enthusiast and/or recent college grad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang