SRT Viper #001 to be sold for charity, How much?

How Much for Viper #001

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that it wasn't actually the car on the stage for sale but the first one off the production line put a damper on the bidding IMO. The car did look just incredible up there.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that it wasn't actually the car on the stage for sale but the first one off the production line put a damper on the bidding IMO. The car did look just incredible up there.

I agree 100%. $300k was still lower than I expected, especially considering the bids were jumping in $25k increments. it just seemed like $300k was the goal, and once they hit it, he rushed to the "sold" call. A lot of cars were selling for less than I expected though.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$300k is actually a great price considering it will be identical to every other Gen V that year. The only reason it went above dealer pricing was for charity and apparently the charity was stingy this year. It was awesome to see the Gen V on TV for my first time.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car was way low IMO and I believe it was because it was at the Orange County auction and not Scottsdale. The first 2009 ZR1 sold for $1 million, the first GT500KR Mustang went for $550k, the first 2008 SRT-8 Challenger went for $400k and the first 2010 Camaro went for $350k, all of them sold at Scottsdale, the premier Barrett Jackson event not their lower rate auction. All of those auctions were for charity as well and the car that ran across the block was not the actual car, just like the 2013. The location was the difference.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2nd rate location in a 3rd rate timeslot and they were in a hurry to get it over with.
That was embarrassing.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then they announce that the car "Will absolutely be Vin #1" in a way that made it sound like they were discussing how that would work about 30 seconds before the auction and they still weren't sure and the guy was looking around the room for someone to nod in agreement while there is a production ready looking car right in front of them.:rolleyes: Absolute incompetence all the way around if you ask me.

glhs110

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! How do you guys really feel? all those other cars may have fetched more but everyone knows viper is everything they wish those others could be! Just like the Hemi! The real question is What do you think the car would have brought at the NYC event! And what a story that would have been!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They had a charity auction for an immaculate 20k mile 512TR that just had the major service. The auction stalled hard at $50k and they had to beg for almost 15 minutes to sell the car for $75k which is just slightly higher than retail market value. The charity bidders were just not in attendance there.

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think location was a factor.

It was that it was VIN 1, and not "that" car that was there at the auction. If you got to take the car home that day, and be rolling in a 2013 Viper months before the car is even released, then it would have made some serious coin. That's what I originally thought was gonna happen.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the Viper doesn't have the historical pedigree of the Corvette or Mustang or Challenger, or the millions of fans. The first three cars mentioned above were landmark performance cars, the performance of the new Viper is presumably an improvement (nobody has road tested one, so we don't really know) as an evolution, but just a bump in performance. Nothing ground breaking. I think its more like the evolution of the 911, and although we all think of it as groundbreaking that the car has TC, that is not new technology by any means. There is simply nothing groundbreaking about the performance of TC, which makes good repeatable lap times possible for the novice, but will never replace an experienced foot. A nice evolution, for sure, but not groundbreaking. Just my 2c.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I has the chance to speak with the charity organizers after the auction, and they were thrilled at the outcome and response. They hung around and spoke to owners in the SRT corral and thanked everyone for coming out and helping support the cause.

These are still pretty tough times, and most were impressed that someone would step up and offer $300,000 for a car that they could not drive for many months.

In better days there were certaintly more people with overstuffed wallets that could more easily make such a statement, but most I spoke to were very excited about the success of the auction.

The Red Viper was stunning in every way, and was obviously the major attraction at the SRT tent. They had several other SRT vehicles, including the Jeep SRT that won the one lap of America event. It featured a gutted interior with roll cage. Believe they took over 600 lbs out of that Jeep, and it hauled all the camera gear for the video team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang