SRT10 and tire spin..............

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is it, the run flats ? I can supercharge a gen2 and it doesn't spin as bad as the stock SRT10. How are you supposed to race in this ride :( Are we getting any reasonably priced wheels for autocross tires ?

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Tony, i think it is the Run Flats, with being a much harder tire causes them to spin at their own will basically! I believe i will be ditching the Run Flats from my SRT wheels that have basically no mileage on them!

Time for a sticky 19" tire dont ya think ;)

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wished the wheel hop could be resolved as well as the slip boy I hate these run craps

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the problem is with the weight of the run flats and heavy stock tires necessary to go with run flats.
Think the heavy tires act kind of like a gyroscope. Once they start to spin the tend to want to keep spinning.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine will be replaced soon ....

What kind are you getting?

I am thinking of getting a set of Kinesis K58s ... all black and some new non runflat Pilot sports. I had a set of 345/30/19s on my Z07 and they worked pretty well. If I decide on a 20' rear then I guess the Pirelli 355s will be my only choice.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The super stiff sidewalls of the runflats do not allow any flex, thus less bite when they are asked to grip in a forward motion.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many folks have replaced the runflats. Not much choice out there. I'm sure Michelin has an exact non-run-flat on the market. Perreli, and I wish Goodyear made there Eagle F-1 for the rear, I'm running them on the front, with D/R's on the back.

Skip

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd kind of like a backup set of those runcraps you guys are talking about just in case. I'd like the lowest miles out there, and since you don't like them, I'll send you $200 for shipping to Olympia, WA. Send me a PM with the mileage and the address to send a check to.
Thanks
PBR
#10 of 50

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin does have a 345/19 for the SRT10. They are available though Parts Rack, Tire Rack or your local dealer. I have replaced the stock wheels and tires with Forgline SX3R wheels and Pilot sport tires. The car behaves itself very well, but the cold weather forget it. The snake is parked for the winter. Come on April and Sebring for Viper Days.(Please hurry)

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you don't purchase a tire that has most of it's shelf life used up. These tires are very hard and traction is poor with them. The reason I say this, is there are batches of these floating around. My rule of thumb is never start out with a tire more than 1 year old, six months would really be nice. You can certainly tell the difference in lets say a two year old tire and a set that are around six months.

Have them give you the DOT date, if possible.

Viperized

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is this for experincing the bite of the Viper tire spin. I picked up my 2005 black Viper on 12/30/04. My friend's 19 yo daughter came with me (all on the up and up. I pulled out of the dealership across the street to the stop sign to enter the highway. The traffic cleared I gave it ONLY enough gas to blend into traffic, the car instantly went out of control at which point I het the curb and lampost. the car has 50 miles on it and has not seen my garage nor will it for at least 3 weeks. Now I know you will be tempted to ask what cars I have driven and that I couldnt handle the torque. I have a porsche, a Ferrari and a 'Cuda with 4 speed. I know that they dont have the torque of the Viper but what happened was not normal. I would be happy to blame myself if it was appropriate. I didnt even get moving, it was weird and frightening and the 19 yo daughter now calls the car the "Devil Car" I feel like I do not want this car, it is supposed to be my everyday driver which is why I leased it. From the posts it sounds like I am not the only one to experience this. I really love the look and feel of the car but don't want to die. I did test drive the car extensively and loved it. I may not have a choice with a leased car,but I can get pretty loud with Chrysler if need be. What do I do?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, I haven't found the SRT/10 hard to drive at all. It does light up the rear tires fairly easily (especially with our 475 RWHP & 3.55 gears :laugh: ) but I've never found it to be anything but a nice-handling, easy-to-drive sports car. Perhaps in your case you hit something slippery on the road?

Viperized

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dis originally think that there was sand or dirt on the road because of the construction going on next to the on ramp. However I have taken my Porsche on this same ramp without any problem. The prosche does not have 500 HP though. I guess I will give the Viper another chance.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The spinning I am talking about is full throttle. I have not had any problems with normal driving.....and my normal driving is fairly aggresive. Temp/road temp also makes a big difference. The hotter the better.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove my 04 in the Indiana sleet and snow last week. Driven carefully, I experienced no crazy, scary moments. I wouldn't choose to do that everyday, but I have driven a lot of miles in cold wet temps also. Not a single problem.

Given the tremendous torque, you have to lay the respect and even fear on pretty thickly, but my experience has been that this car is not particularly prone to wheel spin. Unless of course you are trying to produce wheelspin.

Maybe my car is a dog or my tires are especially grippy or maybe I drive like an old lady, but whatever it is I like it.

Dirk

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a huge problem with the tires. Sometimes I think the differential has issues too. I have a carport, so the tires also get down to outside temp overnight. If I start the car on a below 32 morning (kinda rare here) and pull out of the driveway, the tire(s?) spin at IDLE when turning corners! This quickly goes away and the 'normal' spinning starts. When cold, I've almost done 180's completely unintentionally! I have to be EXTRA careful!

It has been around 75+ degrees here for the past couple weeks, so no problems lately. Forecast says below freezing weather coming back Friday.

What does it say if a 325 can easily out accellerate a Viper, both on cold tires? It ain't the car...

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is this for experincing the bite of the Viper tire spin. I picked up my 2005 black Viper on 12/30/04. My friend's 19 yo daughter came with me (all on the up and up. I pulled out of the dealership across the street to the stop sign to enter the highway. The traffic cleared I gave it ONLY enough gas to blend into traffic, the car instantly went out of control at which point I het the curb and lampost. the car has 50 miles on it and has not seen my garage nor will it for at least 3 weeks. Now I know you will be tempted to ask what cars I have driven and that I couldnt handle the torque. I have a porsche, a Ferrari and a 'Cuda with 4 speed. I know that they dont have the torque of the Viper but what happened was not normal. I would be happy to blame myself if it was appropriate. I didnt even get moving, it was weird and frightening and the 19 yo daughter now calls the car the "Devil Car" I feel like I do not want this car, it is supposed to be my everyday driver which is why I leased it. From the posts it sounds like I am not the only one to experience this. I really love the look and feel of the car but don't want to die. I did test drive the car extensively and loved it. I may not have a choice with a leased car,but I can get pretty loud with Chrysler if need be. What do I do?

Maybe the dealership armor-all'ed the tires a bit too much?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car can become the, "Devil" when you get on it, and your not straight. I sold my 03 to my brother, and warned him of this, he seemed to forget, and totaled the car. This is with any car, that has power, and positrack. Any car will do this under the right circumstances. The Quaffie diff greatly reduces this. I personally experianced a spin-out in my first Viper. Fortuanatly I didn't hit anything. I realized then never get on it, unless straight. Much has been discussed on this in previous posts.

As for the tire size mentioned above, wider is good for traction, especially on the 13 rim, as the oem size is narrower than the rim, but this will sacrifice a bit of the quick reflexes the car has. The aspect ratio, is really to small. This will hurt traction, but if there not run flats, that's a bonus.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never thought about the Armor-All. That is certainly possible.

There have been a number of motorcycle wrecks and deaths because of it. Check the warning label that was changed to warn not to use on bikes.

With the kind of torque we have and the way some people slather the stuff all over the tires after servicing I can see that might have been your problem.

I don't use the stuff on tires of any of my vehicles just for that reason.

Last summer I was at a dealer who had just sold a Hayabusa and the buyer was on his way to pick it up. The dealer had it all shined up nicely, including armor all type stuff nearly dripping from the tires. I explained that he could kill his buyer if he didn't clean up the tires.

I might have saved that guy's life.

Dirk

Viperized

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The armorall is a good point, althouth I dont know if the dealer would admit it. The car was freshly detailed when I picked it up. I also wonder about the tire pressure. The body shop owner says that the runflats are hard as a rock, I would like to change them but I cant see spending all that cash on a car that is leased for two years. He also found that there was more damage than he originally thought( of course) he said there is a carbon fiber inside fender that costs $2500.00. My insurance company is going to triple my premium after this one. I guess I will have to drive like an old lady for awhile until summer hits.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had to repair a front fender on my 04. I wondered about the cost that I was being quoted too.

The composite material inside the fender that glues to the body is, in fact, ridiculously expensive and hard to find. I think the part, when you can find one, is about $1600. However it isn't easy to find and can't be ordered alone. The parts that come with it add to the cost.

I hope this helps your peace of mind that your dealer was telling you straight on that one.

Dirk

Viperized

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Dirk. I actually trust the guy. He has been having some trouble getting parts. I hope I get the car back befor the lease is up. I am actually starting to get psyched again to get back in the saddle to try to tame the wild beast.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand Armour-All on the Motorcycle, but I really can't see any problem with it on the side walls of the Viper. 1% of it on the tread would not cause a problem.

But a bike does ride on a good bit of the sidewall when leaning into a turn. Never really thought about it, but that does sound really dangerous.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960