SRT10 Update

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you all know my car was at TNT Motorsports, they were using my SRT10 to develop their aftermarket product line for the new Viper.

I got my car back a month and a half ago all stock. I drove it for three weeks putting 600 miles on it and getting familiar with it all over again. The car is still fantastic. I got 21.5 miles per gallon on the long cruises and about 12.5 city driving. Really enjoyed the drivability and the handling of this new car. Pure perfection. I like it so much that I will be using it as a daily driver.

I went by MTI Motorsports in Houston to have the car dynoed. This place is known around here as a reputable place. They work on a lot of GM products, Corvettes, Cameros and Firebirds. Well the car dynoed stock, first run, at 443 RWHP and 472 RWT. Second run at 449 and 476 respectively. Not bad I thought.

Three and a half weeks ago I was leaving town to attend the Long Beach Grand Prix in California and decided to drop my car at TNT and have the Air Intake and the Headers and Exhaust installed. I got back from the west coast and picked up the car before Easter weekend. I could not believe what it felt like. I did not think I would be able to feel the difference, but I was wrong. The car felt a lot stronger. The sound was awesome. A little loud at sixty miles an hour, but once you got to eighty it smoothed out. I put seven hundred and thirty miles on it that next weekend. I was at home in Gonzales giving rides to the whole family they all loved it. Everyone thought it still looked like a Viper. I drove back to Houston and went through rainstorms and lots of water on the road. I had to stop for gasoline and opened the hood to see what if any water was getting in the engine bay. No noticeable water on the filters or any were else. I left the baffle in the hood scoop. So there was no problem with the new Air Intake. Through out the trip I kept checking the side sills and they remained warm, but not like the old Viper, I could touch them and not get burned. I averaged 19.77 miles per gallon with the mods. Not bad. My city mileage was the same.

Then I brought it back to MTI to have it dynoed with the mods. Third run was 476 RWHP and 466 RTQ. Forth run at 472 and 489 respectively. That's a 27 to 33 HP gain over stock for less than $6000. The Torque seems to be off a little, but maybe you dyno experts can say why that happened.

All and all I am very pleased with the way the TNT modifications went. The seat of your pants feel is great and as I said the sound, well that's great also. The fit and finish of TNT products is perfect.

I will be at the V10 Nationals this weekend so if you are there you can see and hear the car.

See you in BG.

Dean

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: SRT10 Udate

Cajun,
Could you itemize the cost of the intake, headers, and exhaust? And how much was labor? Seems a tad expensive.

Didn't they give you a break as your car was a test mule?

My reference point is my '02 Corvette:

Ram air, CNC port/polish the heads, Comp cams camshaft, moly pushrods, NGK plugs, 180 deg. T'stat, TPIS headers, X-pipe, Corsa catback exhaust, custom PCM programming, UD pulley and belts. $7300 out the door. Increase of 100-110 HP and torque at the flywheel.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, no offense meant to Cajun, or TNT, I have always liked their stuff. I think the SRT out of the box is pretty much set, when compared to my 97 GTS anyway. It has headers, a non-restrictive airbox, but the cat back could change. At a recent dyno event, my SRT, and another members, almost exact same mileage, the only diff was a custom cat-back exhaust (that I'll be getting soon) and K&Ns, and he got 20 hp and 10 trq more than mine. For a total cost less than $300 (I think). FWIW, my baseline was 436hp and 484 tq, 1200 miles.

Again, no flame intended, TNT makes great stuff, i'm sure it looks sweet compared to our homemade mods, but for that price, I can come close to getting a Roe supercharger for the 97, while still being very close in HP on th 03.

My 2 cents, that's all

Honestly, as cheap as I am, I can leave 10hp on the table (and a possible reduction in tq) for $5700.

OP
OP
C

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was being conservative. My price is private. But TNT is having a promo for all Viper owners at $4000 for Intake and Headers and Exhaust. This will not last forever so get while you can.

Dean

Bullet488

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I understand being conservative with estimates but dyno results are not really subject to much interpretation. If the results are 28rwhp and 3.5rwtq gains (avg. before/after) this would tell me that the stock setup is pretty much optimized for the flow that exists. As for the discrepancy in the TQ numbers, I'd get another pull to clear that up.

If the rwtq actually did drop, I would argue that the diameter of the stock headers is sufficient and decreasing the velocity by increasing diameter yields minimal high-rpm hp at the expense on low-end torque. I would like to see the curves overlaid to see where power was gained and/or lost.

For ~$6000, it sounds like a set of gears and k&n's could give you much more seat of the pants acceleration and leave plenty left over for a nitrous kit. It's amazing how sounds faster = feels faster to many people. While this speaks highly of the efficiency of the stock setup, I would imagine it will not be good news for tuners looking to give customers the usual high $$$ bolt-on basics. After some more serious mods, it will likely be a different story.

Just my thoughts,
Scott W

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That certainly is interesting, and it does suggest that the stock setups flow very well indeed. I'll be quite curious to hear what some head porting nets!

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interesting Torque. A recent dyno on my SRT, completely stock, yielded first run 487.5 and second run 499.6 RWTQ. Why did that work not yield more torque?

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

QUOTE: That certainly is interesting, and it does suggest that the stock setups flow very well indeed. I'll be quite curious to hear what some head porting nets!

I hope to have my SRT back by the end of the week. Heffner did the heads, cam, intake, headers, exhaust. He has it running, but needs to "tweek" it a little more. We have a baseline dyno and we will dyno with mods. I will post ASAP!!

ROB :usa:

OP
OP
C

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bullet488, I listed all the dyno runs that were made, I guess I could keep running on the dyno till I get the numbers that look better. But I think the sound did not make it feel faster for me. It really does feel faster. I can send you copies of the dyno sheets if you want.

1TONY1, Its funny how most find the negatives in my post and all you want is to make a pass down the track. Just kidding. You got it Tony, I wont be there till about 9:00 am Friday. See you there.

Dean

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Price is a bit much but dont forget he did not pay it, and after all this is TNT. I am sure the parts are top notch quality and believe me a good set of headers can cost 4k easy.

The power gain is about as expected, dont know why some of you are bashing it. It is what a gen 2 creampuff would pick up from similar mods. The torque seems a bit low but who cares the car has more than it needs. Less torque will help it keep traction, and accelerate faster.

Bullet488

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The torque seems a bit low but who cares the car has more than it needs. Less torque will help it keep traction, and accelerate faster.

Hmmmmm... Not sure I wanna touch that. Needless to say, I disagree and the drag strip will always prove you wrong.

Dean. I wasn't trying to point out any negatives from your post. I think everyone is very anxious to see what kind of power is available from the basic bolt-ons with the SRT. Accordingly, these initial results will come under a lot of scrutiny from people trying to decide if the hp is worth the $$. I can't wait to see the first true heads/cam SRT where all the new flow can be exploited. Anyway, If you're happy with the results that is all that matters. I'll look forward to seeing your car in Bowling Green and hearing that exhaust note.

Scott W

OP
OP
C

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bullet488, I did not answer the negative ones. My point is that when I see a before and after dyno sheets, it is usually before run #5 and then after run #16. This tells me that they kept running till they got what they wanted. No slam here just observation. Mine was a straight bolt on that someone would do if they ordered the parts and did it in their garage. Then took it to the dyno. The place I went to was $75 for two pulls. Thats what I got and published.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you still need the exhaust and intake to go with the heads, cam and other stuff.

Thanks for the input.

Dean

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

> Correct me if I am wrong, but you still need the exhaust and intake to go with the heads, cam and other stuff

Actually, that's not clear. Without knowing how the stock boltons flow, we don't know how much of a difference they make with heads + cam.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

>

Actually, that's not clear. Without knowing how the stock boltons flow, we don't know how much of a difference they make with heads + cam.

Could be significant difference...up or down...between stock vs heads and cam. I would guess the bolt ons would give a larger increase after heads and cam.

FLY505

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am curious if anyone has read the VGX book? DC goes into some detail about how they sized the intake system (the intake,heads,valves,rockers,cam,and exhaust) to generate the maximum HP and TQ with the given compression/fuel restrictions. This was supposedly done on an elaborate computer controlled flow bench which allows them to increase/decrease the size of any part of the model to determine optimum performance and or velocity. One can never have enough horsepower, myself included, but there are trade-offs with aftermarket parts. It is all about what you want, but be aware that spending cash on parts that are advertised to increase performance there is almost always some trade-off. Too loud, too hot, to unreliable, etc. I am not against the tuners or anything like that, just an observation of the conversation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960