SRT10 with Huge Cam. Anyone Familiar?

About2bite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Saw this video on YouTube. Never seen a Viper done like this, I've seen the ROE Racing performance parts but not much NA stuff, most go FI. Anyone have any idea on these mods? Vid just sparked some interest, thought I'd get some feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxI_Mi0KKDk

Thanks,

Josh

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds very familiar. :)

Prolly a Greg Good heads/cam car. Sounds like my car.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We (re)built and tuned that car... complete tear down and do over, total basketcase before we sorted it out. The video is after we sorted it out.

http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/BillCSRT.asp

The car was a Greg Good Head/Cam package, with a botched install and a poor parts selection. The cam was timed incorrectly, gasket problems, torque spec problems, incorrect clutch selection, fuel system nightmare that it didnt even need, gasket/seal issues, thermostat selection problem, wiring mess, and an absolutely nightmare of a tune program. We went through the entire car and corrected everything.

The car has a head/cam package, throttle body, valvetrain, headers and Corsa w/no cats, and K&N, with an extensive custom tune, and makes about 625 RWHP.. The car also has an RPS Twin Carbon Clutch, but it really should be removed from this build, and eventually will be- Carbon Clutches and Head/Cam packages are a BAD MIX! Low off-idle torque and surging nature of head/cam setups mixed with a grabby clutch is not a fun combination. This was just one other example of an item the original sellers/installers talked him into buying when he not only didn't need it, but it hurt the drivability to use it. The car may also undergo an exhaust change. The catless corsa setup sounds good at idle, but it is incredibly loud and raspy while driving. I have tried to talk the owner into changing over to a Belanger setup with cats instead, not sure if he will or not, but he would also like to quiet it down a bit.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not so different as you would think. The silver car is idled up slightly due to the clutch he is running. The tone is different because of the different exhausts, but the "lope" is similar.

King_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what kind of power can one expect with just a big cam swap with the (relatively)stock heads?

OP
OP
A

About2bite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what kind of power can one expect with just a big cam swap with the (relatively)stock heads?

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

Also, what is involved in a cam swap? Just valve springs and the cam or are there additional parts that would need to be upgraded out of your typical cam swap parts?

Not too familiar with these Viper motors.

I've got a Vette of my own, gaging interesting the SRT10 Vipers now.

Here is a little vid of mine right after I did the cam swap.

http://youtu.be/WXQVmfYJuD8[/QUOTE]

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

Also, what is involved in a cam swap? Just valve springs and the cam or are there additional parts that would need to be upgraded out of your typical cam swap parts?

Not too familiar with these Viper motors.

I've got a Vette of my own, gaging interesting the SRT10 Vipers now.

Here is a little vid of mine right after I did the cam swap.

http://youtu.be/WXQVmfYJuD8
[/QUOTE]

after doing a bit of research, it seems 550rwhp would be a easily attainable number with the other typical bolt-ons(intake/exhaust..etc). Valve springs seem to be the only needed change.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We (re)built and tuned that car... complete tear down and do over, total basketcase before we sorted it out. The video is after we sorted it out.

http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/BillCSRT.asp

The car was a Greg Good Head/Cam package, with a botched install and a poor parts selection. The cam was timed incorrectly, gasket problems, torque spec problems, incorrect clutch selection, fuel system nightmare that it didnt even need, gasket/seal issues, thermostat selection problem, wiring mess, and an absolutely nightmare of a tune program. We went through the entire car and corrected everything.

The car has a head/cam package, throttle body, valvetrain, headers and Corsa w/no cats, and K&N, with an extensive custom tune, and makes about 625 RWHP.. The car also has an RPS Twin Carbon Clutch, but it really should be removed from this build, and eventually will be- Carbon Clutches and Head/Cam packages are a BAD MIX! Low off-idle torque and surging nature of head/cam setups mixed with a grabby clutch is not a fun combination. This was just one other example of an item the original sellers/installers talked him into buying when he not only didn't need it, but it hurt the drivability to use it. The car may also undergo an exhaust change. The catless corsa setup sounds good at idle, but it is incredibly loud and raspy while driving. I have tried to talk the owner into changing over to a Belanger setup with cats instead, not sure if he will or not, but he would also like to quiet it down a bit.

What clutch do you recomend for a similar set up.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What clutch do you recomend for a similar set up.

Street tires, use stock clutch. Something really sticky, use a McLeod Twin Disk Miba w/steel flywheel. Excellent near-stock feel and will take the abuse.

If interested in a McLeod, contact us directly.

OP
OP
A

About2bite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know what a typical cam package vs heads/cam package costs?

Excluding labor and tuning, just for parts.

Looks like you can expect an extra 50-60hp from a heads cam swap over just a cam swap.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone know what a typical cam package vs heads/cam package costs?

Excluding labor and tuning, just for parts.

Looks like you can expect an extra 50-60hp from a heads cam swap over just a cam swap.

They can range from 5K to 15K, depends on what you are doing.

Do not base your package on power numbers alone, unless you want a dyno queen that makes good numbers and drives poorly.

OP
OP
A

About2bite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can range from 5K to 15K, depends on what you are doing.

Do not base your package on power numbers alone, unless you want a dyno queen that makes good numbers and drives poorly.

I understand, but it is a good basis for comparison.

You're saying a cam only package will run $5,000?? :shocked:

I was going to guess about half that, and that was with me tacking on some Viper tax :drive:

Guess I've been living the good life having a Corvette with a wallet friendly LS motor.

Where are the Viper performance parts vendor web sites??
I can't find any other than ROE racing and Hennessey which don't offer too many options.

My little LS1 has a cam with the following specs.
242/248 608/612 110LSA
It seems to be a larger cam than these Viper cams available and the LS1 has far less displacement (per cylinder).
My cam has also been proven time and time again at the track and on the dyno.
Also it is very street friendly, no bucking, dying at lights, etc. Not too friendly to the tires, but that's a different problem :D

I appreciate the info :2tu:

Thanks

Josh

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No, that was a very basic head/cam package price.

But, again, it depends what you are doing. If you put in a billet custom cam, you can be out 750ish on the cam alone. Plus a full engine gasket set. Plus all fluids. Plus incidentals. Plus machine work, valvetrain and pushrods as needed. Plus labor if not doing it yourself. Plus tuning. Yes, a cam only could creep that high if having someone else do it, and being in a situation where you need everything. These are huge price ranges of parts- you cannot just "guess" these things without knowing every detail of what is being done, and you also need to remember that NOTHING in the Viper market is like the LS1 market, be it price, what is needed to install, or the specs of heads and cams. You will not find "off the shelf" options all over the place in this market, as there are many combinations that do not work well, won't work at all with certain other components, or cannot be installed correctly without help with installation and tuning. It is just too small of a market with everyone using all sorts of different setups to offer something that "will fit" without knowing every detail about what they have are are doing first. This is the primary reason you will find head/cam "packages", where the seller will give you a setup that will work correctly every time.

If you try and spec a Viper cam like your LS1 cam, you will regret it. A Viper V10 is NOT an LS1, and it will not react the way you expect it to.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh,

Viper V10 and LS1 are completely different animals with completely different hp/tq curve characteristics. My built LSX engines saw 6800-7200 rpm. Viper only safely do 6000-6200 rpm. You cannot compare specs between different engine platforms. The base circle of the LSX cam is also larger, even compared with the SBC Chevy engine, which allows a more aggressive cam that retains drivability manners.

My Viper lopes much like the one in this vid, but I have a much quieter exhaust that I built using 4 Magnaflow mufflers (2 per side). What you guys are mostly hearing is just a cam with a very loud exhaust attached to it. Not pleasant when driving/racing it, only cool when sitting in a parking lot.

Tony