Started the car this afternoon.....

Jimbos1980

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fired up the Viper this afternoon after being in winter storage for 2 months. I was advised by two Viper Techs, one at Woodhouse and the other at Roanoke Motor Co. to do so. I ended up running the car for about 45 minutes to make sure any condensation was gone before I shut it down. The car started fine overall but had a small humming or buzzing noise coming from the engine for the first 10 minutes or so. It went away after that but any idea what that could be? :omg:

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you make sure the a/c and heater switch was in the off positon? Perhaps the radio was turned on but the volume way down and you could have thought it was engine noise?

OP
OP
J

Jimbos1980

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The heater and ac was off and the radio wasn't on. I got out of the car to check under the hood and heard it. It went away a short time later though. I've never heard it before so I assume it was because it hadn't been started in a couple months?

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering why and what resaons were given to you by the 2 techs for starting up after 2 months storage :dunno: This is an age old question, and will probably get a different answer every time it's asked.

I used to do this every 30 days, then was convinced I was doing more damage than good. So about 8 years ago, I changed the procedure. I always stored mine from Nov to May without starting it (keeping it trickled charged though) and have never had a problem.

Mine is kept in a heated garage at 55 degrees, sits on carpeting with a plastic moister vapor beneath the carpet, and with the tires inflated to 45 lbs to keep them solid and round, with at least 1/2 to full tank of gas treated with gas Stabilizer. I do this with the Viper and 3 other cars I own. No problems yet!

Just Curious

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am wondering if the buzzing was the alternator charging a somewhat discharged battery. Once the battery became more fully charged the alternator output decreased.

OP
OP
J

Jimbos1980

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering why and what resaons were given to you by the 2 techs for starting up after 2 months storage :dunno: This is an age old question, and will probably get a different answer every time it's asked.

I used to do this every 30 days, then was convinced I was doing more damage than good. So about 8 years ago, I changed the procedure. I always stored mine from Nov to May without starting it (keeping it trickled charged though) and have never had a problem.

Mine is kept in a heated garage at 55 degrees, sits on carpeting with a plastic moister vapor beneath the carpet, and with the tires inflated to 45 lbs to keep them solid and round, with at least 1/2 to full tank of gas treated with gas Stabilizer. I do this with the Viper and 3 other cars I own. No problems yet!

Just Curious
They stated that there wouldn't be any harm in starting it every 4-6 weeks and may actually do it some good to keep the fluids running through it. I ran it for 45 minutes to get it up to operating temp to make sure any condensation was evaporated.
I sit mine in an unheated garage (about 20 degrees) on a moisture barrier tarp and the tires are sitting on carpeted 3/4 in plywood squares.
They basically said if you are going to start it, fine but make sure it runs for a good 45 minutes or so before I shut it down.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just follow the owners manual (weird right lol). Basicly it says change oil and dont start.

The worst thing you can do is start the car and not reach full operating temperature. The oil will start to be contaminated due to condensation (water).

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have no idea who the gentleman talked to at Woodhouse or Roanoke , but suspect he was simply told it might be good to start it up and run if for a bit during the Winter just to keep the battery up. Doubt anyone said to run it 45 minutes and it definitely doesn't take that long to get it to operating temp.

We all know that one of the main complaints is the battery in the Snake, and a good idea is to consider a battery tender . Starting it up and letting it run 15-20 minutes( at various times ) during the Winter is another option, and if it sets a long time, Stabil is not a bad idea either.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PS - as to the noise, mine does that also , but it goes away quite rapidly. Have heard it on alot of other Snakes , and it quits very soon, so don't think it is anything to get alarmed about. Only ever heard it on a cold start --- never in the Summer.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think George nailed it.....the cold alternator has a slight buzz as it repleneshes a low battery, and is virtually silent when warm / charged.

When stored, best to have a CHOCK-FULL fuel tank. The unfilled portions of the tank condense moisture. So if you keep it brim-full, little moisture can accumulate.

PS we hear of SO many battery issues, or other issues like alarm / ignition that are low-battery related. Most all seem to have one common denominator: NO BATTERY TENDER! Battery tenders are not the same as many manual or even automatic 'trickle chargers'

Whatever you choose, it must be "FULLY-FLOATING - FULLY AUTOMATIC", and have amps below 1.8. Even a 2-amp trickle can heat/sulfate the battery over time, whereas a .02-1.6 Full-Float Automatic Battery Tender Plus can save you tons of aggravation, and prolong the battery life. And the LED lites and flash-pattern send you a CODE to tell you what is going on. Do NOT worry about being hard-wired: I have 6 of these all alligator clipped-on underhood.....and even my 1949 Dodge is ready to rock when I push the start-button....

HAPPY NEW YEAR !

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. with with what Jon B is saying. I put my cars away in Oct. and they are not started till March/April depending on the weather. Full tank of fuel, pump up the tires and put carpet under them, and last but not least...a Battery Tender. I use "The Battery Tender Plus." The snake comes right to life in the spring without any issues.

OP
OP
J

Jimbos1980

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for responding......I am using a tender on the battery and stabil w a full tank. The car fired right up but just made that humming noise which sounds like it's not a big deal. Thanks Bill.

SuperBird4404BBL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using Star brite's STARTRON Enzyme Fuel Treatment in all of my cars and gas powered tools. It prevents the ethanol problems that can crop up with this new gas that is on the market.
I also use Stabil.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960