Steering wheel wrapping?

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with getting their steering wheel done?

I can't find anyone local to do it, and I emailed Prefix and they want waaaaay too much to do it. Basically what I'm looking for is to get my wheel redone with OEM materials with Orange stitching and an Orange drivers stripe (like on the red/black ACR). At the very least I would like the orange stripe done, I can live without a full rewrap and stitch.

Thanks in advance

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good detail shop can re-dye it for you. Keep the original wheel and have it done in any color or colors you want.

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll give a those places a try.

I knew it would be expensive, but IMO $1,200 for a steering wheel is asinine.

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Gawd, that is insanity. I'll do just as good of job for half that and I've never even done one before.
That's what I thought....I could buy that a Viper wheel is worth $1,200 if it was a $250,000 car with premium interior materials, like ostritch or alligator...but it's not. Pretty much the same wheel in the SRT-4 haha.

Give Tony a call at Venzano. He did mine, and it was not even close to $1,200.

Thank you, I'll give him a call next week!

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At that price, you might want to try to do it yourself. Checkout wheelskins.com, they have some pretty good do-it-yourself options.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with getting their steering wheel done?

I can't find anyone local to do it, and I emailed Prefix and they want waaaaay too much to do it. Basically what I'm looking for is to get my wheel redone with OEM materials with Orange stitching and an Orange drivers stripe (like on the red/black ACR). At the very least I would like the orange stripe done, I can live without a full rewrap and stitch.

Thanks in advance

Try Craft Customs in TX, www.craftcustoms.com Ask for 'Carter" and tell him you were refered by Mike at the Viper Club

I had a stock wheel, re-wraped in alcantara material, red stripe at 12 o'clock and red stitcing. Price was $400. Workmanship was good.

DSC003981.JPG

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmmm, wow must have sold them all, only have airbags now...

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the "rules" regarding taking out the factory wheel with an airbag and replacing it with one that doesn't have one?

I think the wrapped stock wheel looks better, but still nothing like some of the aftermarket ones you buy. I'm just not sure about safety inspections (DMV and tracks) and what the insurance company would do if there was an accident where you were injured and then they found out you removed the airbag?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the "rules" regarding taking out the factory wheel with an airbag and replacing it with one that doesn't have one?

It's illegal. Like just about everything else in our "Land of the Free" America.

So make sure you never, ever, ever do something like this to your car.

QuickRelease.jpg

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
iv never heard of a penalty of doing such, dont have to have one for a saftey inspec here in mo.. people in my parts do it all the time

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My biggest worry would be the insurance company. If I got in a bad wreck and was stuck in the hospital for a while, I could see them denying any and all medical bills because the airbag was removed (wether or not it would have made much of a difference). We all insurance companies are always looking to "take care" of their customers. ;)
It's just a risk to weigh. I've already had the dash apart to replace all my instrument bulbs, so I guess I could just pull the bulb out of the warning light to make it go away.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm currently having my Mamba steering wheel redone with Alcantera. Same colors, but with a thicker pad. Less than $450 and about a two week turnaround. They're also doing my shifter and ebrake boots, along with the center console door.
I'll post pics when I get it back this week.

www.dallassteeringwheel.com

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was illegal. But people were getting killed from the damn things so the NHTSA proposed allowing exceptions under specific cases, requiring signed documents and only certain shops were allowed to disable them. It is still illegal for you to do it yourself.

Here is a NHTSA bias report about it.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/appxb.d10.html
For those who don't care to read it all...
As of November 1996, the government has verified reports of 19 drivers and 33
passengers, 32 of them children under 10 years old, who have been killed by air
bags.

They go on to dismiss those deaths as a small percentage compared to the estimated saved lives. Later they contradict their own numbers.

The report is most likely from early 1997. I couldn't find any newer information but it isn't difficult to guess why.

So what is the real reason the government mandates all cars have airbags? Well, we're not even two months into 2012 and Delphi - a leading air bag manufacturer, has already contributed more than $17,000 to campaign funding. It isn't so easy to find out how much they contributed in the mid 90s when the balloons became mandatory. Nevertheless, when the government forces 100 million people a year to buy your product, a few million dollars in campaign contributions is considered a good investment.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Received pics today. Should have these on the car tomorrow. Everything in alcantera and they added 1/4" pad to the steering wheel and console door.

Attachments

• Picture_022.jpg
    Picture_022.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Picture_013.jpg
    Picture_013.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 63

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've seen one car cover it in alcantera, but it looked too bulky. Eventually I will have the doors cover in leather and alcantera, along with the Mamba red pieces. I hate all the plastic that comes on the interior of these cars.

Last edited:

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine done by the same company and he did a fantastic job. It does not look bulky at all - factory look. T

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Installed.
Before...
You must be registered for see images attach

After...

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only piece of my interior I didn't do myself was the wheel. Shipped it out, was around $400. I have my factory wheel, perfect shape if you need. I bought a second wheel to ship out so I could still drive the car. My entire interior is suede. Not hard to do. Seats took 14hrs a piece, two guys. I've seen shops like Venzano have to put a stitch in the door. It's not necessary. I wrapped everything and it looks stock.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my wheel re-shape and done in alcantara, love the feel of it.

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everywhere is pretty much quoting me $400 to get it done except prefix. That's not too bad. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte