"Stickiest" tires for Gen2 18" rims?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Michellin doesnt make Pilot Sport Cups for 18" Gen2 rims. Thats too bad, cuz I really want that sticky 80 treadwear, instead of the 220 t.w. on regular PS's.

Whats the best option, if you want super sticky 18" tires? Anybody got any experience with other brands on their Vipers?

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The PS Cups come for 19" rears. I wish I had searched first, cuz now I'm digging into a lot of great threads. The search button is a terrible thing to waste!

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had touted the Kumho's V700 as being a great sticky tire, that was until this last set I got. This recent set the rears are noticeably LESS sticky under acceleration and in corners. The date codes indicate they are not 'fresh', but have been told that it should not be of a concern, I don't know. My previous 2 sets stuck awesome. I had complete confidence in them. Hooked great at the drag strips, on the street in "acceleration tests", and cornering. This set...I am worried that they will come out when I really don't want them to, I don't trust them at all.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you can specify the date code, when you order. A conditional sale, based on the tire's age.
I had touted the Kumho's V700 as being a great sticky tire, that was until this last set I got. This recent set the rears are noticeably LESS sticky under acceleration and in corners. The date codes indicate they are not 'fresh', but have been told that it should not be of a concern, I don't know. My previous 2 sets stuck awesome. I had complete confidence in them. Hooked great at the drag strips, on the street in "acceleration tests", and cornering. This set...I am worried that they will come out when I really don't want them to, I don't trust them at all.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the V700s. Haven't experienced any issues but have only gone through 2 sets so maybe have been fortunate. This is actually the first I've heard of any issues with the 700s.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about the Kumho XS's?

will they fit on stock 18's?

I am running PS's and am happy with them for street/track, could be stickier

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know how sticky the XS's are but i saw a set on a gen2 wheel and they looked great

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
NO K-XS for 18 or 19 rears 17" sets only...

The V-700 is my track tire, and we use it like crazy, street and track. OK in the wet, but speed-limits 70 mph. Great low prices on 18" sets. The AGE on green, un-used stickerd tires does not matter in proper storage! TireRack tested these New-Old-Stock V-700s and found on their durometer, they were only 2 pts on 100 scale harder than brand new. I do NOT consider it worth considering.

I wish I could post a photo....CHAD ?? My track-marbles this weekend are so terrible! The rubber tire-turds are sloughing off like cigars. (other racers rubber, not mine) The Pace Car has to drive offline a lot, and we pick up a pound+ of CRAPP per tire......

They are indeed STICKY....the photo also shows years of "sandblasting" sill vents and sills

Last edited:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to have Kumho V700s on the rear but when they finally went ******* me I put Toyo R888s all around and love them. Cool looking tread too.

Toyo R888 unmounted:

You must be registered for see images

Kumho V700 on left, Toyo R888 on right:

One the car on stock GenIIv2 rims:

I have never driven them in the rain.

Last edited:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried PS2's - they have amazing grip for a street tire. I currently have PS2's on my car, but I am also on my third set of Kumho's. They typically get hard and lose their grip before you wear them out.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've got some itteration of Pilot Sports on my car, but I dont know if they are PS2's, or 1's? How can you tell?

Have you tried PS2's - they have amazing grip for a street tire. I currently have PS2's on my car, but I am also on my third set of Kumho's. They typically get hard and lose their grip before you wear them out.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for their input, I sincerely appreciate it.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to run my car at VIR. I am currently running BFG drag radials that are on their last leg. I have a set of MT drag radials at home waiting to go on.

Could I run the BFG's on a track like VIR or am I asking for big problems? what kind of problems could I have?

I also don't know if I am crazy taking my car to VIR with the HP that I have.

Would love some advice.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The PS2's are incredible...just search the forums for "PS2" and read the testimonials. Night and day difference between the PS2's and my old PS1's. I've been doing things on these tires I never would've attempted on my old tires. Amazing IMO.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to run my car at VIR. I am currently running BFG drag radials that are on their last leg. I have a set of MT drag radials at home waiting to go on.

Could I run the BFG's on a track like VIR or am I asking for big problems? what kind of problems could I have?

I also don't know if I am crazy taking my car to VIR with the HP that I have.

Would love some advice.

You do not want to run DR's on any road course, that is a death wish.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got some itteration of Pilot Sports on my car, but I dont know if they are PS2's, or 1's? How can you tell?

It should indicate such on the tire. It has a very unique thread pattern and uses a couple different type of rubber compound in the thread scheme. I personally think they have much a better straight line traction than the Kumho's. They have recently become kind of pricey, that is the negative. They sort of defy logic on how much grip they have, especially if you were used to the earlier PS's.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't believe that they are marked with anything other than Pilot Sports - new style or old.

OLD ( PS 1)............................................................................ NEW ( PS2 )...................

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim and Jack!
I've got the old ones, and they're hard as hockey pucks. Sigh...

Shouldve driven it harder and worn them out, rather than let them get hardened from age. You try to be conservative, and where does it leave you? Old an hardened!

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V700's grip amazing but the rear tires look terrible at the rim -they stop short and let alot of rim stick out. :crazy2:

They're not all that bad. I kinda like it (after I got used to it:D)

You must be registered for see images attach

compared to PS's

You must be registered for see images attach

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V700's grip amazing but the rear tires look terrible at the rim -they stop short and let alot of rim stick out. :crazy2:

I wonder if that is a design error, or if it was done on purpose for something like ease of mounting ? Since it is a competition tire, they probably didn't care about the looks as much as the function or producibility.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if that is a design error, or if it was done on purpose for something like ease of mounting ? Since it is a competition tire, they probably didn't care about the looks as much as the function or producibility.

Not a design error. Just a very, very stiff sidewall! I hear the tire can run on about 10 psi. Definitely not "ease of mounting"- The V700 are the absolutely hardest set I've ever installed (no sidewall flexibility).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456