Stiffer shifter springs?

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK found a car I like; it's perfect for track use, going to buy it later this week. But the car has a weird problem that I have not seen in the past. The shifter does not snap back into neutral like my older vipers did or heck any of my cars have. No funny transmission issues, shifts fine no weird noises, but its very vague to shift. I think it has a short shift kit on it in some form though.

Is there a harder return spring or replacement part that might fix an issue like this. I like a very positive return to neutral, and was taught how to shift at the track by returning to this natural position and matching revs so its a little off for me.

I imagine there are springs or some form of tension device in the shift mechanism that has worn out.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What year is the car? 03-06 this is a common problem. My 06 does the same thing stick does not return to neutral position. I've been told there is not much that can be done and it's just normal. You can upgrade it to an 08 trans which fixes all the issuses

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2006, coupe. My 2006 and 04 vert never did it.

In the past I had to tune a few of the detents I think to add some resistance. The car will be delivered Monday so I will tear into it then. I remember on a T56 that I installed a while back, not on a viper, that I had to replace the bushing and the lower shift ball capture with bronze ones and then everything was super crisp. Just thinking out loud until I get the car up on the lift.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has a B&W shifter in it, I found it easy to replace the springs in mine to get it feeling more like I wanted it to. Now, having a selection of springs to play with may cost a bit. I found what worked for me, cheap at a fully stocked ACE hardware. McMaster Carr has a selection with documented spring rates but it will cost you more to get a few spring rates to experiment with.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned two Gen.3 Vipers and couldn't believe Dodge would put a POS shifter in their flagship car, 85 or 90K new. Fixed it with the Gen.4, but what took so long? Call Woodhouse.

Bill

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned two Gen.3 Vipers and couldn't believe Dodge would put a POS shifter in their flagship car, 85 or 90K new. Fixed it with the Gen.4, but what took so long? Call Woodhouse.

Bill

The 6060 is built off of the T56 right, did they do anything with the shifter housing that could be retrofitted.

Basically since I could not get the car this weekend I have been keeping myself occupied with the forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas