Still waiting for some actual performance numbers.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long must we WAIT???

Doesn't ANYONE here know ANYTHING??

So you're telling me we have NO insiders on the VCA club board?

Would it hurt so much to spill some beans?

It's very frustrating that I pay a hundred bucks a year to be a VCA club member and support the VCA worldwide, yet I get exactly ZERO early information about the cars from Dodge. Everything we see here is also seen in the press. I learned MANY things about the SRT from the Viper mag article, about 3 months after someone at Viper mag knew about them.

The pictures are good, but hard data is what I seek. That just isn't forthcoming.

And don't tell me about VOI. I'm not paying another 3000 dollars just to get some basic performance numbers! Let US know when YOU know, DC.

What would it hurt to let this VERY small cross-section of viper owners to know some hard inside data?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd, the numbers will be relased at VOI. Remember they haven't published them in any of the magazines yet so the "average joe" doesn't know what the numbers are.

They will be released *first* at VOI, and then you can bet within an hour they will be posted all over the board!

I'm waiting for it too
smile.gif

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the heck ... Here is my "Non-insider" prediction:

0-60: 3.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.9 seconds
top speed: 190

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by garolittle:
What the heck ... Here is my "Non-insider" prediction:

0-60: 3.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.9 seconds
top speed: 190

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of those numbers have been achieved by the current Viper. I'm hoping the '03 can out-do them. More power, more torque, and less weight? I think the SRT-10 will be faster than the numbers you posted.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree the new Viper should be faster, but the wind resistance
of the true convertible may slow it down some?

I'd like to see 3.7-3.8 0-60
and 11.7 - 11.8 1/4

Time will tell

2Charmed

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think those times are more realistic and very attainable. Didn't an RT/10 do the 1/4 mile in around 11.7? 11.77 I think. I'm really looking forward to see what some of the really good drivers can do with the SRT-10.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperweb:
I think those times are more realistic and very attainable. Didn't an RT/10 do the 1/4 mile in around 11.7? 11.77 I think. I'm really looking forward to see what some of the really good drivers can do with the SRT-10.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember that the manufacturer has to pick a performance number for the car. What the existing Viper CAN do and what it's RATED to do are different things. The magazines seem to get about 12.2@118mph from the GTS - those are right around Dodge's claim for the car. I think their claim for the SRT will be 11.8@122mph and 0-60 in 3.8. Yes, others have attained better numbers, but those others will attain MUCH better numbers in the SRT!

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,
I definitely know what you are saying. Porsche's claim for the GT2 0-60 time is something like 4.1 seconds. I think I've seen it done at 3.6. My guess is that Dodge will probably give similar numbers to what garolittle stated, but I'm hoping the car actually do better when tested.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperweb:
Mike,
I definitely know what you are saying. Porsche's claim for the GT2 0-60 time is something like 4.1 seconds. I think I've seen it done at 3.6. My guess is that Dodge will probably give similar numbers to what garolittle stated, but I'm hoping the car actually do better when tested.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My "guess"
smile.gif
is that the numbers I said will be pretty darn close to what Dodge will release... and if I were a betting man, I would bet my bottom dollar that this car has been hitting mid 11's (11.5's) at 123-124mph in the 1/4 in testing.

Wait, did I just say that? Oops.

Then again, we've seen some good drivers hit 11's in GTS's... how low can the SRT go? With a 123-124MPH trap speed, I think it could hit 11.2's on a veeerry sticky track. With ET streets, I bet it could hit 11.0, and I bet someone, somewhere could crack a 10 with only ET streets. Yeah, I know, everyone will think I am crazy... but I think it could be done.

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I had that article with me, but I'm pretty sure they said they couldn't even rev it past 5000 rpm. I wouldn't even look at that test when considering the performance of the car. It was on a pre-production car and they had to baby it on the track.

OP
OP
T

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperweb--

That is consistent with what I have read in the past about the press cars. They are redline limited.

The numbers above seem unchanged, compared to a stock ACR, with the exception of MPH.

However the news about the breaks seems to jibe with what Brunton stated--110 ft. I think the zog is 112 or 117--I forget.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I had that article with me, but I'm pretty sure they said they couldn't even rev it past 5000 rpm. I wouldn't even look at that test when considering the performance of the car. It was on a pre-production car and they had to baby it on the track.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct - this particular car was rev-limited to 5,000RPM, and it was a pre-production unit. I don't know all the differences on the car but at the least it had computers all over the place and was probably not running anything close to the final ECU programs. Just think - 12.0@120 and they were rev-limited to 5,000RPM! I think this test was done with a stopwatch too, wasn't it? I don't think they were allowed to take the car to a track or use any timing equipment.

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Results are in. Check pages 56-61 of November's Automobile magazine. Please keep in mind they were running a largely pre-production SRT/10. The results for those who have not yet seen it are:

0-60 mph: 4.2 sec
0-100 mph: 9.3 sec
1/4 mile: 12.3 sec @ 120 mph
30-70 mph passing: 20.5 sec (may have been in top gear)
Lateral g: 1.10 (should be a new series production car record)
70-0 braking: 153 ft.
Cd: 0.43 (0.40 top up). Previous RT/10 was 0.50.

Speed in gears:
1 - 58 mph
2 - 87 mph
3 - 119 mph
4 - 155 mph
5 - 180 mph
6 - 180 mph

Driver commentary noted considerable heat still being generated by the side pipe system. DaimlerChrsyler says it will have this solved by production. Exhaust note is improved and the car's grip levels set new standards. From a durability standpoint its brakes handily defeated those of the Z06 against which it was tested. Test driver did complain that the Viper's tall gearing worked against it on the tight GingerMan road course. The author noted that despite its price the Viper remains as Dodge's loss leader.

I would not take this test too seriously as it was a pre-production car and a real evaluation should wait for at least two production car tests.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toddt:
Mike--

someone said the fastest speed they saw for the SRT was 119 at the drags.

crying.gif
crying.gif
crying.gif

I hope it was a "press car".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They had a guy drive the SRT and the GTS.. He ran 119mph in the SRT, but he ran 115mph in the GTS (from what the guy I talked to earlier who was watching this said). The DC guys were saying the SRT was 3-4mph faster than the GTS in the 1/4.

Since I've run 120.5mph in my GTS, I would think the SRT would be able to do 123-124 with some decent driving.

We'll see...

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note those rev-limited times from Automobile Magazine, the SRT's hp peak is somewhere around 5600rpm, some 600rpm over the limiter...

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After some coaxing of shifting times and amount of wheelspin, I think I got them somewhat decent...

Viper GTS:
12.4 seconds @ 118.4 mph

Viper SRT-10:
11.9 seconds @ 124.7 mph

There are tons of variables, so I'm sure I could get a much more reasonable GTS time. I just don't have the requried info, like a dyno-chart for a stock GTS, Power loss figures for individual parts of the drivetrain, etc.

I'm pretty surprised with this thing, its amazingly in-depth.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maxwedge:
The 50 extra horsepower isnt going to get you that much and the larger tires might hurt as much as they help. The different Dana rear-end may make the difference tho in 0-60 and lap times.
I would be interested to see the change in lap times between the 14x18(the new ones) vrs the old 17x13...Id also like to see a lap time comparo between a car with 4 evenly sized times and the normal street tires...
also note, from what I have read those cornering G ratings were aquired with those crappy run flat tires..Imagine what it will pull with some non runflats...drool drool drool. The asians and the Europeans are gonna hafta **** on the Vipers big American @#!$. Because they arnt going to touch it for less than 4x the vipers cost.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The extra 50hp is going to get alot more than people think. 50 factory horsepower are usually equal to 100 aftermarket horsepower... why? because the factory delivers usable horsepower across the RPM range and most aftermarket stuff is mostly concerned with putting down a dyno number, even if it sacrifices power in other areas of the RPM range. The GenII is "only" 50hp above the GenI, but it's an easy 1/2-3/4 second faster in the 1/4 with a 5-6mph trap speed advantage.

Alot of guys feel that they can add 50hp or 75hp to their GenII car and run with an SRT. That won't happen. The SRT (from what I understand) has a completely revised chassis, much better handling and suspension, and better brakes. To get a GenII up to SRT specs, you would be looking at a whole new suspension (and I dont just mean shocks and springs), totally new brakes, more power and an upgraded driveline. Maybe then a GenII could hang with an SRT - but it's not a simple change to a GenII to get to that level. When you see what the factory is delivering for a $7k premium over the GenII, it's pretty cool. I know the styling is love-it-or-hate-it, and is a matter of opinion, but I agree with you Maxx, the european magazines are going to have a real hard time putting this car into the same category as they put the GTS in when they compare it to the 911, 360, M3, etc. They will have to seriously bolster their "yeah but it doesn't have the same fit and finish" arguments to justify picking anything over the SRT!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I believe the "black out" period is now over, and the mags should be coming out with the REAL numbers!

WATCH OUT!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
My "guess"
smile.gif
is that the numbers I said will be pretty darn close to what Dodge will release... and if I were a betting man, I would bet my bottom dollar that this car has been hitting mid 11's (11.5's) at 123-124mph in the 1/4 in testing.

Wait, did I just say that? Oops.

Then again, we've seen some good drivers hit 11's in GTS's... how low can the SRT go? With a 123-124MPH trap speed, I think it could hit 11.2's on a veeerry sticky track. With ET streets, I bet it could hit 11.0, and I bet someone, somewhere could crack a 10 with only ET streets. Yeah, I know, everyone will think I am crazy... but I think it could be done.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, wake up from your wet dream.
laugh.gif
If you think the new Viper stock will crack into the 10's on ET street then you are on crack. Time will tell. I hope it kicks butt too, but the results from the VOI drag race was disappointing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21