Stock Brake Pad Picture

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silly question but does anybody have a picture of a stock brake pad for a SRT-10 coupe. I have been fighting a heavy squeal ever since I got my 06 coupe.

So far I have turned the rotor's, scuffed the pads back to flat and coated the heck out of everything with anti squeal. Bedded the living heck out of the pads. Now I only get a squeal on moderate braking. Like coming up to a stop sign which is quite annoying.

Went to the dealer to buy new ones and apparently the factory pads are on national back-order and they have no idea when they are going to get new ones so that was out.

Only thing I can think of is that I don't have stock pads at this point. I never had a single squeak on my other vipers with the stock pads so a little perplexed.

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They show as backordered as well but if that is a picture of stock pads then mine are not stock.

I have a way different pad construction and tons more metal flake in the pad material and my backing plates do not have any writing or upper clips on them. Chances are I have some form of race pad on still then.

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the picture below are the clips above and below item #8 anti Squeal/rattle clips. Because I do not remember seeing them when I had the brakes apart. Is it possible a the previous owners tech that put the newer brakes on my car before I got it forgot to install these.

You must be registered for see images attach

chesapeake07

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clips you are talking about we're not on my car either. I have not performed that many brake pad changes on various cars, but I don't recall seeing those parts on any Gen III/IV.

I could be wrong, but they don't look familiar to me.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those clips you're refering to in that drawing should be there. They're attached to the caliper.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They show as backordered as well but if that is a picture of stock pads then mine are not stock.

I have a way different pad construction and tons more metal flake in the pad material and my backing plates do not have any writing or upper clips on them. Chances are I have some form of race pad on still then.

Aftermarket pads obviously but I doubt they're race pads. Are your rotors getting chewed up?

The clips you see on the stock pad are wear indicators. They're not typically found on an aftermarket pad.

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aftermarket pads obviously but I doubt they're race pads. Are your rotors getting chewed up?

The clips you see on the stock pad are wear indicators. They're not typically found on an aftermarket pad.

Given my cars history I seriously doubt that they are a stock style pad then. There surface is very aggressive, tons of metal flake, and my car stops significantly better then my last one. Also they seem to squeak a bit less with major heat in them like when I had my pagid's on another car.

Also I think I can see those little clips on my rotors. I can see the bolt head at least I believe. Without pulling the pads again I will not be able to confirm.

Guess I need to track down a set of factory pads or similar.

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a used OEM set if you are interested, as with low miles if you would like to give them a try.

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a used OEM set if you are interested, as with low miles if you would like to give them a try.

If you are local to San Diego that would be great, if not I can live with the squeal until Dodge gets them back in stock or partsrack.

If you could I would love to see a picture of them just as final conformation.

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I pulled the whole brake setup apart again. After wetting the rotors and then going for a short drive to scuff the rust.

The rears

Rotor are were perfect. Pad wear is even across the entire pad. Wiped everything down with cleaner to eliminate any grease from my hands.

Fronts.

Pads are only using about 75% of the total pad material. So I leveled them out on 200 grit on a big marble slab that I use. And tested level with a large block of straight steel that I have for. The rotors had a 1mm ring of rust on the outside of the rotor. So I scuffed everything.

Went out and bedded the pads again. While letting them cool down I did a slow stop no noise. Some quick freeway driving to cool them all the way down and squeal comes right back. Almost sounds like a grinding now.

Going to let them cool all the way down and flush them out with some water and see what happens.

SO short answer I still have no idea whats happaning but the noise is so freaking

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might sound weird, but did you check your ebrake pads (specifically the inner one) while you had your brakes apart? The ebrake design on these cars is beyond bad and the pads wear out very quickly.
I never use my ebrake, yet they still where out because of the sticking/contact bs. I'm tired of buying pads for the stupid things and I'm really thinking about just taking entire set-up off my car. Like I said, I rarely use the ebrake anyway, so I'll just throw some small wheel chocks that is use at the track in the trunk, and use them if I end up in a situation where I would normally set the brake.

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might sound weird, but did you check your ebrake pads (specifically the inner one) while you had your brakes apart? The ebrake design on these cars is beyond bad and the pads wear out very quickly.
I never use my ebrake, yet they still where out because of the sticking/contact bs. I'm tired of buying pads for the stupid things and I'm really thinking about just taking entire set-up off my car. Like I said, I rarely use the ebrake anyway, so I'll just throw some small wheel chocks that is use at the track in the trunk, and use them if I end up in a situation where I would normally set the brake.

Can it cause problems when the car is in motion. I never pulled them off the car and only looked at the outers which were just fine.

Also I flushed them out with water. Absolutely no squeal for ~1 mile give or take. Then its back to normal.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine will make noises at different times and the first time the inners wore down, it was driving me absolutely crazy because sometimes it was there, sometimes not, sometimes sounded like it was up front, sometime back. Really crazy. It's definitely worth taking a look, and you definitely to check the inner, since it wears a lot faster than the outer. When I figured it out the first time, I literally had nothing but the metal backing plate left.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More 'aggressive' pads will make more noise when used on the street.
....meaning, they need to be heated up in order to 'perform' and stop squeling.

Sure have stock pads?

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yanked them one more time, getting pretty good at this. Takes longer to remove the wheels then the brakes

I am almost certain I have Hawk DTC-70's, because after I cleaned the backs off really well, which was a major pain, with some brake cleaner it says so, or at least I can see Ha and C-70's
It also looks exactly like the pictures that I have seen online, plus all the small holes on the back match up perfect.

This is what the manufacturers has them rated at.

SPECIAL NOTE: Due to the aggressive nature of the Hawk Performance Motorsports Compound pads, they are not recommended for street use.
DTC-70
Temp Range: 400-1,600 degree

Which if the factory is to be believed a pretty aggressive pad construction. Much more aggressive then I need for the street, its great for some upcoming trackday shenanigans but...

Also I have been dragging them a good bit to get them up to temp which Hawk kills the bedding on the pad which might explain why I bed then I get minimal noise then a bit latter when I try and get them up to temp I have squeaks after dragging them a bit.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Google Porterfield Brakes. They sell all kinds of pads from street to race. I buy my race pads from them. They may have a compound similar to stock. ALSO do as Towdaug says, check your ebrake inner pads. Common problem on Gen 3/4 and when they wear out they trash your rotors.

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Google Porterfield Brakes. They sell all kinds of pads from street to race. I buy my race pads from them. They may have a compound similar to stock. ALSO do as Towdaug says, check your ebrake inner pads. Common problem on Gen 3/4 and when they wear out they trash your rotors.

I am going to check them when I pull the rears apart to put in the OEM pads, I hear you guys loud and clear.

Cannot drive my car till I find a set locally but got a few others to go to work in.