stock exhaust system

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My shop manual for the 96 GTS shows only a cat converter in the side sills and a dual inlet/outlet muffler in the rear. I have seen photos of a stock 98 system that had a cat with tapered ends connected to a round can type muffler/resonator connected to the tailpipes and rear muffler. Which is it? Cat plus one muffler/resonator or cat plus two restrictions? I know I could pull the sill and look but thought I would ask those of you that have had the fun of pulling the sills.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On your GTS, from fron to back, there is a cat, then resonator,(inside the sills) then the big muffler in the back that handles both side's exhaust.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,
The 1996 shop manual leaves a little bit to be desired. You may want to get a 1997 manual - its more accurate for the GTS...

That being said, here's the 1996 exhaust story...

1996 roadsters - these cars have cats in the side sills and the center muffler. They do not have the second can-like muffler. This is one reason the 96 roadsters run as strong as they do... This exhaust configuration appears to be unique to 1996 roadsters.

1996 coupes have the cat in the side sill, followed by a can-like muffler, then a center rear muffler - same configuration as 1997 roadsters and coupes on up to 2000.....

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte