STOCK GEN II.. WHICH GEARS ARE FASTER 0-60? 3:55 OR 3:73

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAS ANY ACTUALLY RUN BOTH REAR-END RATIOS AND WHAT ARE THE OPINIONS ON WHICH IS BEST FOR 0-60 MPH (OK MAYBE TO 85) AND SUPER FAST CANYON DRIVING?..

I HAVE 3:55 AND LIKE THEM A LOT BUT IS 3:73 EVEN BETTER?

I ALSO HAVE NOTICED THAT SINCE THE SRT-10 CAME OUT THE RT/GTS POSTS SEEM VERY SEDATE..

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing that's going to be noticaebly faster is how fast you go through a set of rear tires.

In stock form the viper is a 4.0 second flat car, without slicks I don't see that comming down to a level one could attain on the street.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all factors (hp, driver skill, street tires) being even on a 0-60 run my money is on the 3:55. In theory, both cars should run the same e.t., but the shift points will obviously differ. However, with a 3:73 and street tires the 'hook-up' factor is a bigger issue off the line (it is for me anyway).

If Super Fast Canyon Driving is what 'Toonces the Cat' does on SNL, the gear won't matter!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) I used to have 3.73's. I went back to stock 3.07's, due to Roe SC installations plans ;) Too much additional HP for 3.73's and Michelin Pilots, IMO.

2.) For now, my Viper is the same as it was with the 3.73's. The difference between 3.07's and 3.73's is noticable. My car is a good bit slower with the stock 3.07's. I really miss the 3.73's. It is much slower out of the hole, and IMO a good bit slower to 60. Less noticable in 2nd-6th, but still seems slightly slower. Do I have hard proof? Nope. Do I have any reason to lie? Nope.

3.) The difference between 3.55's and 3.73's is going to be minimal. The shift points are only a couple MPH difference. Although, if you can modulate the clutch/gas, and get the tires to hook, I think the 3.73's would be better by a very, very small margin.

** I don't think gears are for everyone. If you don't like to shift frequently, stick with stock. If you have a hard time getting the tires to hook with stock gears, stick with stock. If you find the Viper difficult to drive or tiresome, stick with stock. If you drive, or like to know you can drive 170-194 MPH, keep the stock gears.

** If you find the Viper is a little bit of a dog out of the whole (0-25 MPH), you will like a gear change. If you have no problem getting the tires to hook on a launch (3.07s), gears may be for you. If you don't mind shifting more frequently, and prefer a car that is on the edge of traction/no traction, gears may be for you. If you want a more violent/head slamming ride, gears may be for you. If you don't mind a top speed limited to 168-175 (give or take), gear may be for you.

** I'm trying to get the best of both worlds by keeping the stock gear, and increasing HP/Torque. Of course, this is an expensive road to travel. Unless nitrous is a consideration.

Later

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I ALSO HAVE NOTICED THAT SINCE THE SRT-10 CAME OUT THE RT/GTS POSTS SEEM VERY SEDATE.."

AS COMPARED TO REAREND GEARING RATIO'S?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joebrett