stock viper ETS

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bone stock off the lot, no headers, no nothin' for mods, with stock Michelins are running 12.0 to 12.3 in Florida. Up North there are some GTSs that have clicked off some high elevens. I don't know if they have better air or track prep or what up there.

GTS is claimed to have a slight advantage over the RT/10.

Don't know what a bone stock Viper with ET Streets would do.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree with Dan, It probably won't bog if you lauch at a higher RPM (say 3500-400), but then you have to be worried about twisting your 1/2 shafts(which I am looking for).

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
BONE STOCK:

Published Records:

Evan Smith (**** he's good!)

2000 RT/10 - perfect weather - 11.78

2000 GTS - 90 degrees - 98% humidity - 11.98

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bone stock with 400 miles at a viper vette shootout in Buds Creek maryland my 97 gts went 11.60 at about 121 on stock pilots.Later that day with a drag radial the car went 11.41 and made many runs in the 40's and 50's. Shortly after that in eliminations I ran my best time of the day through the 1/8 mile almost a 1/10th better than I had run all day but I had to shut down so I wouldn't break out and that definately would have been in the 30's. The whole maryland ,va club was there as my witness, shocked as they were what a viper can and will run with a driver that can get it out of the whole hard.I have also seen stock vipers other than mine in the 11.60's with good 60' foot times on stock pilots.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That vette might be too much for me, I heard about an hour ago it made 783 rearwheel horse today at the dyno, but I will be there and try to get him. I know I can outdrive him, but I don't know if that will be enough, the guy is actually a good friend of mine and I have been beating him like a step child in everything he has ever owned for 10 years. I think it might finally be his turn.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prashant (local Viper President) told me of a guy here who he witnessed run an 11.8 in his bone stock ACR.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:
Bone stock with 400 miles at a viper vette shootout in Buds Creek maryland my 97 gts went 11.60 at about 121 on stock pilots.Later that day with a drag radial the car went 11.41 and made many runs in the 40's and 50's. Shortly after that in eliminations I ran my best time of the day through the 1/8 mile almost a 1/10th better than I had run all day but I had to shut down so I wouldn't break out and that definately would have been in the 30's. The whole maryland ,va club was there as my witness, shocked as they were what a viper can and will run with a driver that can get it out of the whole hard.I have also seen stock vipers other than mine in the 11.60's with good 60' foot times on stock pilots.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOAH buddy....Do you have this on video?....That is incredible...Ive seen guys in GTS's barely getting into the 11's with slicks let alone stock pilots...And you say you could have gotten an 11.3 everything stock with absolutely no modifications cept for DR's????..You are either Jesus or you are the best **** driver out there.....This is no flame bro..I believe ya..But its just so far away from any of the best et's Ive seen[on Pilots]....With smooth tubes, headers, exhaust, and a computer and your skills you might be able to hit 11.0 or maybe a 10.9 with DR's...You should open a driving school...Have a good one..

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakebit that wasn't by myself the whole Md Va viperclub was there they can tell you, as a matter of fact check with New Mexico President George Farris he was in attendence, him and about 20 other members.Now I have seen many stock cars in the 11.6 to 11.8 range with good drivers and one that comes to mind is Mark Brown of the md va club runs consistent 11.6 11.7 in his stock 98 gts. I have run pretty good in your neck of the woods too, at englishtown on everyday street radials 19" at that I ran 10.80's at 130 something at the vipernationals in june.The only mod a vortech blower making 5 psi of boost stock everything else.Also there is a guy with the board name Pauls running 11.0's with the same mods you listed for me to try so I am not the only one. Not saying you can't but alot of guys don't believe a viper can run those times because they can't drive them to that et, but some guys can.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Jamie, 1bad all I can say is I now see the difference between Magazine driver's and Good driver's....I would also think that you are getting some sick 0-60mph time's...Maybe around 3.6-3.7sec's....I used to put alot of faith in what these mag's say but it seem's that published time's for any car isn't the end all and be all of what the particular car can do. There's no replacement for seat time..And with their testing schedule they can't possibly wring the best number's out of a car....Thanks for opening my eye's..It would be nice to see the number's you could wring out of an AWD Porsche 911 TT Jamie..Later

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to try it, but I think driver is not as important in drag racing with all wheel drive.Don't get me wrong I am not saying I am the only one who can drive a viper I am not, I am just saying the good ones run 11's.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:
I would love to try it, but I think driver is not as important in drag racing with all wheel drive.Don't get me wrong I am not saying I am the only one who can drive a viper I am not, I am just saying the good ones run 11's.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jamie I meant the GT2. dont know why I put awd...as I was writing my previous post I was thumbing through an article about the GT2...They had performance spec's of 12.1 @ 121 and 0-60 @ 4.1.....That's similar to Viper magazine num's....I would imagine one of you driving guru's would definately hit mid 11's with this thing......I actually thought this Porsche would have been much faster than the GTS...Just goes to show you what a ridiculously overpowered car the Viper is. Even after all these year's the competition is now catching up. Make's you wonder how sick the SRT10[looks aside] will be...Im pretty sure one of you guys will hit a 10.9 with just slicks...You heard it here first...Dont make me a liar
biggrin.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen more runs in the 11's than I can count. I was with Jamie at the NE Zone event over the summer and I ran 5 runs... 4 of them were in the 11's and one was an 11.68. I had all my luggage in the car, had just driven down from Boston and onto the track, and the tires were at 32psi!
smile.gif
. I've run in the 11's a few times at my track too (11.75, 11.80, 11.86), and one of my friends drove it and ran an 11.76.

It's all in the launch. The Viper makes MORE than enough power for a mid 11 second run, it's hooking it up that is the problem. There is no doubt that if you could hook it up very very well, you could click off an 11.3 or perhaps even better. Jamie already ran 11.4's on drag radials.

There are lots of drivers that... ahh.. aren't that good, that are running 12.3-12.8's in their cars, and that's why alot of the guys think Vipers are slower than they are. I'll say this though... it's a LOT harder to go from 12.5 down to 11.5 than it is to go from 13.5 to 12.5. It takes more power, and more traction, and better launches, etc. I think alot of guys see mid 12's in other cars and think it will be just as easy getting to mid 11's as it was getting to mid 12's from the mid 13's... it aint' that easy
smile.gif

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Mike...please do tell. I tried 1/4 mile for the very first time ever. It was pretty confusing as no one told me where to start, end, exit, get timeslips. etc. I only got 4 runs in over a 5 hour period and my best was 12.6. I do believe the big problem is launching. Too much wheel spin, Please help a guy get into the 11's to show those non believer mustang owners a viper can do it!

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 99ssz28:
veranus, your going to need a lot of practice!! 12.6 !!! LOL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I ned practice and advice. With the only strip so crowded and 100 miles away it will bew tough. I was with 3 other GTS's and they all were high 12.6 except for on pass at 12.4. Being my first time ever in any car at the drags, I feel pretty good about the 12.6.
One guy did a 11.89 bone stock a few months ago, but has pro experience.
I'm not sure what the difference is, but I see high 11's posted everywhere on the east coast and texas. But herein Northern california no one seems to get into elevens. Don't know why.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Veranus,

Were you running at Bakersfield, or Sacramento?
I've run my Vette at Sacramento twice last year, and it first time, was my first time out drag racing.

It was kinda depressing to read about these folks running the 1/4 mile 1/2 to 1 full second+ faster than my best efforts.

Still, apparently some tracks do lots of track prep with traction compounds that allow you to hook up better. Sacramento doesn't do this as far as I know, the all track times are relatively slower than comparably powered cars at different tracks.

I think that the biggest element is practice. Some guys actively practice their foot/pedal work, or practice with a G-Tech to get a feel for the improvements with different launches.

Of course there are some places that are worse than us being at high altitudes, being that much slower because of lower air density.

I'm hoping for Sears Point to open up again later this year, as they are apparently redoing their tracks currently.

And before I go I'm also going to buy the BTR drag racing video if it goes back on sale to help with my technique.

-Dean.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey snakester-were you at the nor cal meeting Tuesday? I was there and recruited another GTS to go up to Sacto soon. Most people kind of roll their eyes when I mention 1/4 mile as they are into track events. I guess I'm the black sheep of the group. If you want to get together I have Tom Welchs video.
Like I said, I sure would like to match the times of some of the east coast and florida guys. So I need to practice.
I do have the g tech-just need to find a safe place to practice though.
I was hoping someone would mention track prep differences, but some people didn't like any references to that over ability, so I didn't want to stir things up
If you want to go tosacto or Sears point, let me know-I'm game.

99ssz28 -no offense was taken. I do need lots of practice. Just not sure which techniques to practice as everyone has different ways to launch and I think track prep differences dictates launch techniques.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone emailed me about this, but not sure which one of ya it was.

I would disagree with 1bad that mid-high 12's is the average. I would say that someone who drives correctly can run a low 12 (12.2) or better, even given a very poorly prepped track that is similar to the street in traction.

I will say that there is *NO WAY* you will run an 11 anything in a Viper unless the track is well prepared. Englishtown is one of the best prepped tracks out there - it has a reputation for that. My first time there I was clicking off 11's all day - and I am no professional driver. I drag raced alot the last couple of years, but before that it was about 7 years ago I was on a track, and only about 3-4 times at that. Come to think about it, I might not have made 100 runs in my life
smile.gif

To answer the question, yes, a well prepared track is a must. Even on a bad track though, 12.2 is doable in a stock car with a good technique.

The most important thing is the launch. Then it is the shifts and keeping the power down. Shifting badly is, in my opinion, worth a good .3 and 3-4mph in the 1/4. It can take a guy running 12.5@115 and put him at 12.2@119. Then, if that same guy gets his launch perfected, he would be running 11's with that MPH.

For a good launch, you need to rev to about 3000-3500RPM, and let the clutch out fairly quick, but easy to get the tires scratching for grip, but not spinning. If you do it right, the car will just *leap* forward and the front will feel like the tires are going to lift off the ground
smile.gif

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike. I tried launching at 2,000 to 2,500rpm with a semi quick release of the clutch and wound up spinning the tires enough to think i was losing time. This is the rpm Tom Welch recommends. When you launch at 3500 rpm, just how quickly are you releasing the clutch? I suspect I would really be slipping with this rpm. Out of the 3 GTS's, I was launching at the highest rpm. The others were launching at just above idle and the quickest for them was a 12.4 I think., better than my 12.6.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets hear some of the 60' times posted along with the et's. I have just gotten my 96 GTS last Friday. At the track Sunday I went 1.89 - 60' 5.114 - 330' 7.246 - 594' 7.721 1/8 mile at 94.90 mph. That was my 2nd pass in a Viper. The first was a
8.132 at 94.74 mph 2.158 60'. Shows how important the 60'is, mph showing the hoursepower was the same. What would this pass have been in the 1/4 mile ? Our track is 1/8 mile only.
Tony Armour
1996 GTS HMS Venom 500
1994 Formula, Viper killer
smile.gif

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:
Lets hear some of the 60' times posted along with the et's. I have just gotten my 96 GTS last Friday. At the track Sunday I went 1.89 - 60' 5.114 - 330' 7.246 - 594' 7.721 1/8 mile at 94.90 mph. That was my 2nd pass in a Viper. The first was a
8.132 at 94.74 mph 2.158 60'. Shows how important the 60'is, mph showing the hoursepower was the same. What would this pass have been in the 1/4 mile ? Our track is 1/8 mile only.
Tony Armour
1996 GTS HMS Venom 500
1994 Formula, Viper killer
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2.071-60' 1/8 mi 88.810 [email protected]
2.032-60' 1/8 mi 86.853 [email protected]
Tony..I think I'm reading the slips right.

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ran my car last week in the 1/8 and went with a 1200 rpm launch.My best was a 1.98 60ft with an 8.17 @ 95.93mph.This was done on stock Pilots with Corsa exhaust.I cant see how you guys could launch at 3500 rpm's.Anything more than 1500 and Ill light the tires up through 3 gears.

Joe

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Varanus,

Sorry for the delay responding. So many posts..
I do want to go out and run the 1/4 mile soon, and it would be great to meet up with you.

But right now my Viper is apart. It's getting totally repainted and I'm adding some mild mods (Fluidine radiator, Archer airbox, S&B filters, smooth tubes, high flow cats, Corsa cat back).

I'm going to pull the NX wet N20 setup off of my Vette and plan on adding it to the Viper. But first I want to dyno the car, and get some 1/4 mile track time and autocross experience in N/A form to get a feel for the car (which is new to me).

I'll send you an e-mail when I get the car back together and we can plan a trip up north to sacto.

-Dean.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakester

Glad to see you wanna roll 1/4 miles. Axe and Neon snake are up for it too. I too want to run auto X. Which events do you run? I almost went to the Nor Cal LS1 sponsored event in Marina last weekend, but it rained.
Just ordered my Nitrous/propane/gas 2 stage system thru BTR. have you installed nitrous on a car before yourself?

Are you going to Ted may's tech session Sat on track prep?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm actually pretty new to racing. I've only been to Sacramento twice so far (it's a LONG drive) to race the Vette, but it was lots of fun both times.

I've never run autocross yet, but I figured that it would be a great way to get a feel for the Viper's acceleration, and braking while cornering at speed. That way if I drive too fast, there are no consquences other than a lower track score.
biggrin.gif

I worked with my friend/mechanic to install the N20 on my Vette with all of the trimmings (WOT & window switch, fuel pressure sensor, gauge, remote opener, bottle warmer, blow off valve, etc..) and it worked great. He's the guy who is doing my paint and mods.

I hadn't heard of Ted May's Saturday tech session. Is this local?

-Dean.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakester
Ted's viper shop is at 1854 Almaden Rd unit 1 in san jose. This sat morning (tommorrow) at 9;30 he is hosting a free ( I think) session on prepping your car for road racing and auto X and maybe drag racing if i twist his arm. Try to make it if you can, It's inyour home town.
kevin

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the invite Kevin.

I went there and it was indeed an informative workshop.
Did you go?

-Dean.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dean. Glad you made it. I actually was standing about 5 feet away from you. I started to say someting but someone else started talking to you and then Ted started talking. I thought I would talk to you at the lunch. but only about 10 people made it. Anyway I was the short asian guy, the stocky one who brought a little folding stool. The other one was Jason. Hopefully you will come to the Nor cal meeting at Mama Mia's on the first tuesday of each month and we'll talk then.
Hope the session at ted's was good for you.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well at least you know what I look like for next time.
I'll try to make it to one of the next meetings soon.
Maurice was quite nice, welcoming me into the group.

Interestingly, I knew some other people in the group from before, and had even met Ted on the day that he was overseeing Ben Treynor's dyno at Mustang Ranch when I was getting my Corvette dynoed there.

It was great that he had all of the different kinds of equipment, parts, and fluids to look at and compare.

That was a beautiful steel gray ACR that we got to see up on the lift, although it was a stretch to call it a street car.
The exhaust was LOUD, and sounded great.

I did get to talk with Ted about high-flow cats, which I'm planning on installing, and I found out that he thinks that N20 and Vipers don't mix, unless they are port injected because of problems flowing gas through the long intake runners.
So I'm now holding off on installing the N20 until I learn some more.

He didn't talk at all about drag racing, except for the fact that he thinks that U-joints are usually the point of failure, rather than halfshafts.

Now I have MORE ideas for mods. Sheesh.

-Dean.