Stock Viper, $$ in my pocket, where do I begin?

patagoniaman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I´am new to this forum and just bought a 93 RT/10.
What would give me "best bang for the buck" in performance parts assuming I don´t want to open up the engine (no cam or heads change)but some basic shop work. Can you give me list of where to start and where to continue?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear end gears. 3:55 or 3:73. Installed in your carrier should be under $1k for sure. Install would be extra.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
security system if you're in argentina.

after that,

smooth tubes/K&N's
Headers if you have the ca$h
Gears. 3.55's
short throw shifter or at least an MGW shift knob

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Smooth tubes and filters, headers, hi flow cats, cat back exhaust, roller rockers, gears. There's tons of stuff you can do besides heads and cam (mine are still stock).

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your 93RT/10 (great year lol)! I am looking to do some mods as well. Have done very few but can say the MGW shift knob was worth it. You also might want to go to "howto" at the top of the web page and align your throttle cables (FREE) that also was worth it.

Other mods to consider (I Know I am) purchasing:
(All numbers (HP and other wise) what I have heard).
VECII (engine Management) around 20hp $1000
Headers around 40-50hp $1700
Smooth Tubes and K&N around 15hp $180

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An aluminum flywheel make a huge diffrence in the gen 1's (92 - 96 RT's) so you man want to check that out.

Also cat back, headers and hi flow cats would be a good idea.

A few guys said Vec 2 which is a GREAT product with great support and its from a great company www.Roeracing.com

1.7 Rockers are not a bad idea as well they gave me some nice power.

and of course where everyone starts smoothies and filters I went with S&B filters they are alot better then K&N IMO.

Good luck and welcome to the Viper family.

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

The question you ask really requires that you answer... what do you want to do with the car? Road race/track car; drag strip, street, dyno? What class do you want to be in.
If you want to race in some format spend the first dollars on a driving school, go to Viper Days and get track time in your car, see what others are doing to be competitive in the class you want to be in.
Develop a plan for upgrades and maintenance. Do that in conjunction with a pro familiar with your venue and the Viper. Many people spend lots of money to go slower because they don't have a plan or put on things that don't work. Some of the things suggested by some people above are absolutely wrong depending on where you want to play.

Good luck and welcome again.
Jim

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Of Course you picked the <font color="red"> SWEETEST </font> year for a Viper - in my totally unbiased opinion of course!

First - what is the condition of your tires?
Second - stock exhaust is very restrictive and makes the footwell an inferno. Not sure how many ponies you'd pick up by just changing out the cats and muffler with high flow units vs. headers and all?
Third - B&amp;M short throw shifter and MGW knobs.
Fourth (or maybe in combo with #2) - ROE Vec2.
Fifth - Gears
Sixth - What the heck - ROE SC!

Good Luck with your Viper - and make sure the wheels are pointing straight when you get on the GO pedal - don't want to get bit by the torque of the snake!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Year! Congratulations!!!

1) Smooth tubes and filters.
2) 3" exhaust, no cats

That should get you to 400HP at the wheels.

OP
OP
P

patagoniaman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK.. this is more less what I came up with:
1.-Air filters and smoth tubes (who has the best quality and performance?)
2.- 3" system..I don´t need the cats.. do I have to modyfy the computer or woul it correct the A/F ratio.. I´ve seen good reviews about Borla´s any other you would recommend?
3.-short throw shifter
4.- Headers.. also need to konw which.. and if 1&amp;3/4" or 1&amp;5/8" for a N/A engine.
5.- 1.7 Rockers same ?.. will the computer adjust the change in A/F ratio?
6.- Gears
I´m also going to 19"...
Edgardo

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exhaust and gear work well. Drive it for a while with the stock power so you don't get in trouble.

-Lou