StopTech 6 piston front / 4 piston rear big brake kit available yet?

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was racing at sebring yesterday and was talking with one of the pro racers who runs a very modified GTS. He told me StopTech now has or shortly will have 6 piston front / 4 piston rear big brake kit.

Does anyone have any info or pricing this?

thanks

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would bet that STOPTECH is building their version of the Porsche GT3 Cup brake system. It would fall in-line with their past brake kits, and how they seem to be very similar in spec with porsche/brembo brake systems.

I just hope they dont cost the same as the GT3 brakes.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Stop Tech 6 piston front caliper. The Stop Tech ST-40 caliper is used on many other cars. The real differnce I assume would be the size of the pistons to make up the difference in the weights of the cars it is used on.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe that pricing/availability is out to the public yet as they are still testing them on racing cars, etc.

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What would folks be willing to pay for a 6 piston F, 4 piston R kit ?

I have a friend that makes custom brake kits with Willwood components. He developed a kit for my 350Z and I love it, it's 6F ,4R. I could ask him to research and spec out a kit for the Vipers using my RT10 if there is indeed interest in it. Let me know what sort of interest there is and what a decent price would be.

--wes

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Wilwood 6 piston front calipers on my car. I also have the stock 4 piston Brembos on the rear. The car stop on a dime and is just as good or better than the Stop Tech kit I had on a previos car. The 6 Piston Wilwood calipers are only $350 per side. :)

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
stock 4 piston brembo ?

What size rotors are you running up front with the willwoods ?

If there's already a kit out there, sweet, what's it run ?

--wes

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
YES, we got a complete set of them here....6-F and 4-R, even with matchin rotors, sloted and 2-piece design...come with brake pads and all mounting brackets and bolts.....very hard to find kit...we can finish them in whatever color for customer...even CHROME....PM or e-mail for more details...thanks

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Wilwood 6P F and 4P R on my Gen II. It is a great kit, and it was designed by David Tittle here in Dallas. He can retrofit any year Viper with this kit (F and R) for under $3K, and that includes rotors and pads. He is currently designing a brake fluid recirculation system for my car as well.

Shawn

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shawn,

I'm guessing this is you from your location and handle :)

I'd like to see your kit in person and see if I want to go in that direction with my RT10.

--wes

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem. I will be taking the GTS to MSR this weekend as well. I have only tracked the car 2 hours so far, but the brakes have not been an issue (except for the lack of ABS). I hope to retrofit my '97 with ABS, and then get the recirc system installed.

Problem is I will need all new wheel bearings to install the ABS :(

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm...I like the idea of ABS as well, mine's a '00. Let me know what you figure out on the retrofit and if you need any help. It would be nice to get some insight on what's required.

--wes

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post a price on the wilwood kits...

Also, do they fit under 17's? I wouldnt ask but the GNIII caliper they make looks pretty low in profile.

That begs the question - what calipers does this kit use?

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Wilwood brakes that Dave Tittle designed also. Been on my car for about 5 years. They are fantastic on the track and have never let me down. I prefer running EBC Green pads on the street, then switch to EBC Yellow on the track. I don't have a proportioning valve and it's balanced perfectly with very even front/rear pad wear. My Viper is a 97 GTS so they fit fine under the 17 inch wheels. Because the rotors are thicker than stock, I had to get a new rear parking brake adapter made by IPS (http://www.ipsco.org/Viper Parts/parkingbrakekitViper.htm) and it works very well.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
There a more calipers than GNIII designed and sold by Wilwood...Of course I know Wilwood kits use wilwood calipers, I was asking WHICH caliper they used in the viper kit, and didnt want to assume it was the GNIII. Reread my post above :)

I would love to know if the GNIII can fit inside a 17 inch CCW...they are pretty low profile. If they do, well, I would have 5 sets of rims instead of 2 if I decided to get them.

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David Tittle (formerly owned Dilusi) did the brackets, rotor hat and kit for the Wilwoods. http://www.davidtittle.com/ I have an older generation of his design. His newer design uses the newer calipers.

Pads I use are:
--------------------
EBC Green pads for street: DP21148 Front and DP2007 Rear
EBC Yellow pads for track: DF41148 Front and DP4007 Rear

Wilwood Rotors: GT Series Directional Vane Rotors
------------------
Front RT 3584 = 160-3584
Front LF 3585 = 160-3585
Rear RT 2540 = 160-2540
Rear LF 2541= 160-2541

Wilwood Calipers:
---------------
Grand National III on Front
SuperLite III on Rear

Parking Brake:
--------------
http://www.ipsco.org/

These all fit under my 97 GTS 17-inch stock wheels (and 94 RT wheels I use for slicks).

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much Jay. Is it safe to assume that these are 6 piston front and 4 piston rear...

How do you like your setup?
What are the piston bores front and rear, and do you use a rear prop valve?

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, they are 6 piston in the front and 4 piston in the rear. I love the setup. It feels balanced and I don't have a proportioning valve. Pad wear is reasonable. I use about 2 sets of fronts per 1 set of rears. In the 5 years I've had the setup, I've used 3 sets of rotors. The EBC Yellow pads I run now are very rotor friendly.

I'm very happy with the setup. The only thing I would like is Anti-lock. When I first started tracking the car, I ruined about 4 sets of tires when I flatspotted them. As I advanced in skill, I was able to modulate the pedal much better and haven't flat spotted tires in about 2 years.

I'm not sure of the bore size of the pistons, but I think you can find the info on the Wilwood website http://www.wilwood.com