Stoptech or Dave's Brakes?

docloyde

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys<,
I have a similar situation where I am trying to change the brakes out on my 96 GTS. I would like to go with the stoptech or Daves, however I don't want to cut the mounting knuckle on the rear and I want to keep the ebrake. I do take the car to the track several times a year so i would deserately like to improve the braking. I was told the orata speed and baer combo may be a good choice for rotors and calipers. do you all have any comment or suggestions for brake set ups which do not sacrifice the rear knuckles?
Thanks,
Loyde:dunno:

OP
OP
D

docloyde

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry, I made a mistake. I meant to say: baer orata(sp) speed rotors and Tom's calipers for the rear. however, I am still stuck on what to do for the front. I would like the brakes and calipers to look similar if I have to use different brands front and rear. Still, I'm looking for some ideas as to how I might accomplish this and have the car appear respectable without causing irreversible damage.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about loosing the originality of the brakes by cutting the rear knuckles .When you have a collector car for instance ,the only modification allowed to keep the collector status is a brake upgrade ;).The early Vipers were lacking the proper brake setups ,hence the upgrade to bigger brakes and ABS on newer models.The daves big brake kit could be your choice . You'll still need the e-brake kit that bolts to the rear wheel hub mount.I think your front 13" caliper with 13" front rotor bolts to a bracket that is for 13" DBB setup. I went to the route of 14" calipers and rotors all corners and couldn't be happier.:2tu:It only required to cut off the rear knuckle that's not a big deal if I ever wanted to change back to the original setup. You could get a pair of rear knuckels from x2builders and put it on your shelf in case you decide to go back . Contact JonB for the DBB kit .

Ps; to go the 14" setup , you would need 18" wheel upgrade !

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Again Doc...... I sent you a PM message.

IF you are adamant about retaining the original knuckles, why not consider a used set of knuckles and carve those? Those baer brakes you mention are drilled and slotted and are NOT known for good track-day endurance. Good street rotor, but wont last long when tracked. TOMs is 1 good rear option, I have it on my own GTS

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. 4 1/2 year old thread and two of the posters, a couple of our greatest members have passed on. Kinda nice to reminisce about Warfang and Dave. RIP guys.

As for the topic, if you're gonna move to a bigger wheel go with Dave's. If you're gonna stay with the 17-inch go with Tom's.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I was thinking about Dave too.

I'm running Dave's kit and love how well the car stops.

Nick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine