street driven comp coup?

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guys. my partner and i have this crazy idea that instead of buying a ford gt, we should just get a comp coup and attempt to make it street legal.

what would need to be done in order to make it street legal? we know it needs front head lights,and street legal tires, anything else?

would we be able to register it as a kit car?

has anyone one else attempted this before?

i would be crazy enough to just switch my tags to it everytime i drive it, if unable to legalize the comp coup.

if caught on the road with her what kind of a ticket would i get? as long as it did not take points from my license i would not care.

we are looking to get one in about a month. would a dodge/benz dealership finance it?

if you have anything nini or derogitory please hold back from posting.....only answers suggestions or clever ideas to get this done.

thank you all in advance

-harlow

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the street? You would hate it, to begin with as it is a real, gutted race car with no A/C, no headlights, full cage to climb over getting in & out and many more issues. For example, the doors are flimsy fiberglass shells and there are no side windows.

I suspect it is nearly impossible to street qualify a CC.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has no real VIN number. It will never show up on any DMV computer. Insurance would be impossible for the street and you would scrape the ants off the road. It would not like potholes.

Tickets? No insurance, 4 points (in my state) No registration 2 points, ditto.

Would be much easier (and cheaper) to convert an SRT-10 to look like a comp coupe.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what you really need is a wrecked SRT-10, and convert your CC into this salvage title SRT VIN(ok just put the vin plate on it)and add the necessary road legal items onto the CC. Although the legality of this(I'm sure its not) is questionable.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Macedo and I were going to do one.

It can be done, buy one on ebay or wherever, get the SRT parts needed, interior, blinker, brakes lights. It has to pass local city and state DOT requirements and pass inspections.

Once its done, you will be issued a title and kit car vin. then you can register it.

The comp coupe is way to low for street use and would be a waste of money as you would never get your money worth use out of the car on the street. Its suppose to be on a nice flat and smooth track. If you have never driven one before, go to a viperdays event and ride with someone during warmups that has 2 seats or you can rent a CC by the hour or 1/4 day.

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-what interior pieces would it need?

-since it has adjustable suspension can i just raise it about half an inch?

-we where thinking of going about it as sylvan suggested.

04 THE HARD WAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much are the hourly and 1/4 day rentals at the Viper day events? Do you need a license?

As for converting a CC for the street... It might be better to change a srt to a comp coup. They are essential the same chassis with some modifications. CC are not totaly different like a GTS-R. Some frame reinforcement and a roll cage plus the "race" equipment are the big change. Do you need a motec dash and fire system for the street? starting with an srt would most likely be a more economical solution... Since CC are raced, I'm sure there are replacement body parts available..Just find a way to hang them on a srt, get a hard top, strip as much as you want out of the interior, keep what you want. Used Srt's are much less than any comp coupe, and if you find one with body damage... you could get a sweet deal. And as far as the motors go. the CC's motor is rated only slightly higher than the srt (I don't know what it really puts out?) You can get big horse power out of a srt motor for relatively cheap.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's already been done and is cruising about florida, talked to a guy at VOI who knew the owner... but cant recall his name

At Texas it was $900 to hire the CC with instructor for one race, you need to pre-book, as I was told all the slots were filled.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Archer Racing, they converted one for a VRL racer in Fl. I don't want to mention his name but there is at least one out there that is street legal at least in florida.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And no - you don't need a license, but you can't finance a car that has no VIN.

In some ways, I would think it would be easier to buy CC body panels and put them on an SRT than it would be to go the other way, unless you wanted to deal with a fuel cell, a car with no windows, no KEYs or LOCKS, cost to move the battery and fire suppression to install a passenger seat, climbing over the door bars or cutting out the cage, etc....

I think a CC body is about $20K - that would be easier if you wanted a car with creature comforts.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some good ideas on this post for doing this.

Obtain a dealers lic. and run the master plate on the back. No registering required. It's really not to hard to get a license, and you can use it for tax exemption on your next few cars. New, never before registered cars are usually not exempt from the sales tax, only used so you won't save on tax of a new coupe. Check out the laws in your state. If you know a used car dealer, talk to him about this.

Insulate and carpet the interior, you may want to change out the steel control arm bushings, to at least Poly. Put a set of street tires on the car. Slap a radio in it.

I to have fantisized about this.

and I already have the dealers lic.

Skip

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks skip.

my dealer and all the manangemanent are completly baffled on what a comp coup is. they are doing their research right now.

has anyone financed one of these before? is it a car that must be paid for upfront, by the buyer?

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it =) After running Viperdays it crossed my mind many a time. Granted it'd be cheaper to convert an SRT, but the comp coupe body is so damn hot.

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i mean does everyone that has a comp coup just slap 130,000 on the table? there must be some way of financing this car.

-hey janni on the web site it stated that i must have racing resume. so i guess ill buy a used one to bypass that step. :)

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it =) After running Viperdays it crossed my mind many a time. Granted it'd be cheaper to convert an SRT, but the comp coupe body is so damn hot.

yeah it would be so ********* to take this thing to the virginia beach strip and cruise with her.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racing licenses are no longer required - they were very strict on that for the first batch - but since they sold 3 at VOI, they weren't checking resumes...

Unless you use something else for collateral (i.e. a mortgage line of credit) or can get by on a personal (unsecured) loan - nobody lends money on race cars - they are always put in harms way - not good to be collateral on a loan. So - if ya wanna play......

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to one of the high end auto auction sites. They are all affiliated with leasing companies who'll finance just about anything.

I also recall hearing on Wind Tunnel that SunTrust finances race cars.

I suggest you wait until January and see what Dodge comes up with for the final version of the SRT Coupe. You could be a wing and splitter away from just what you want.

Finally, here in California you can purchase temporary registration for anything with road equipment. Check with your local performance rallyists, temporary registration is how they run European spec rally cars on American roads.

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the infojrkermode. it seems like everyone i speak to is unaware of what the hell a comp coup is. ill look in the dupont registry, maybe one is on there.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jrkermode...where did you get the scoop on a final version of the SRT coupe....I have not heard a thing from my sources. I hope that they have looked at the commentary on design improvement prior to production.

P.S. no hijack of thread intended.

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol thanks austin. well mr. woodhouse just joined the mission. he just gave me a call and said he would try to find one for me.

i would buy the one on ebay, but thing is i would like to have it financed. if financed i would get it asap...if not well it would take a little while to save for her.

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a CC body is about $20K - that would be easier if you wanted a car with creature comforts.

Do you mean we're able to purchase a CC body? If so...why not just buy the body & build a custom chassis for it and register it as a custom built replica?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather