Street tires

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My latest tires for the street...............

viperpics_014.jpg

I swore I'd never run anything but Cups on the street, but Michelin dumped 18" 345's a long time ago. With no choice except Hoosiers which are beyond my wallet, I chose the V710's. Good news is they have about 3/4" more rubber on the ground than the Cups and are taller as well. Pretty much the exact opposite of what most of the show and shine guys want. Big sidewall!:headbang:

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will Plum, probably won't be for a month or so. Super busy lately, but I can't wait.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mostly street driving, though I love to drag race. I just can't seem to get to the track lately though. My requirements are simple, I want a tire that can run a 10 sec qtr. mile and run through the canyons as well. My guess is that with a decent burnout these tires will hook hard, the downside is they are harder on the drivetrain due to their stiff sidewalls. I was considering the BFG R1's, but they only come in a 335 and are much smaller in Diameter. The 345/35-18 is a tall wide tire which should put a big foot print down. It will also help me out in the MPH dept at the drags. The 345/30 cups would put me through the traps at 129 in 4th gear at redline. Should be interesting.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are the 710's wrt throwing stones? I run 700's on the street and am constantly repainting the sills. 710's would be that much better but I'm concerned that with a treadwear rating of, what, 80? they'd actually throw stones through the window! :)

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get them heat cycled the rating will go us some on them. Also let us know if you get stopped with them, while they are DOT rated I was told they are not looked at as street legal.

Richard

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They look fantastic but im pretty sure that if a cop wanted a reason to stop you, that would be it. For that reason I would be scared to use them. :drive:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of the DOT approved tires also have cast on their sidewalls track only, not for street use.

Get into an accident on the street and a sharp eyed investigator may not approve settlement.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually it's treadwear 30

Even better! Are they as bad at throwing stuff as one would imagine?

If they're DOT approved (and is says so on the tire, I would imagine any citation given would be successfully challenged (albeit with time and cost lost).

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are street legal, and they do not have any designation that they are for track use only. Another reason I did not get the Hoosiers. As far as getting pulled over, I was questioned about the Sport Cups, so I'm sure an inquisitive policeman will use it as an excuse to check out the car.

Last edited:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will love them they are far better than your cups ever were.

Have said it before and will say it again all vipers should come with those factory. And any cop that gives you problems should just learn how to read and do so on the side of the tire.

Now you need to decide if your going to stay with 275's or jump up to 295's in the front on your 10" wheels.

Expect roughly 7-8k miles out of them, and you will feel them getting less sticky after 2 years or so of heat cycles.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thread had a bit mentioned about these tires going bad in a month. All I can say is that I had my Michelins for a couple of years of street driving, and they were fine. The truth is that once I actually got them to temperature on the track, they were done after 30 minutes. So the question remains to be seen with the 710's on the street. I doubt that normal street driving will ever bring these up to temp., though I will find out soon enough. The bottom line is that it really does not matter, no PS2 or any other street tire is going to hook this car up and meet my criteria. Michelin dropped the Gen II Sport Cup crowd like a hot potato. Believe me I wrote to Michelin and emailed them a bunch of times, basically no interest.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab. What are you going to run on the front? The 305/30's. GTS Bruce

That's a great question that I've been asking myself. One side of says run the same brand (305/30 710) tire up front, but I'm not crazy about such a wide tire up front. I was thinking about the BFG R1 tire in the stock size, but am concerned about bad handling characteristics causedby two different brand tires.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 305's fit ok on factory size wheels, v700's are available in 295's I believe and the only other option is r888's which are very very good also just not available in 345's, but the 335's and they are 30's so they dont have the huge sidewall.

The mix and matching is not that big of a deal long as the tires have similar capabilities.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab. You are a brave guy. Back in the day on track you got caught out in the rain on slicks. Kind of funny as everyone is just puttering along. Then zip you all fall off fortunately at low speed. Can be worse than trying to drive on ice. I would LOVE to give them a try but if it rains you probably won't be able to keep up with normal traffic. Are you going to chance it or just pull over and wait it out? I just wonder how bad they might be when it gets wet. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your both right! The one time I got caught in the rain was after a SoCal fun day at Cal-Speedway. Pretty scary driving home, but I don't ever plan on getting caught in the rain again..................

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My PS 2 are 4 yrs old now. New tires next year hopefuly in the Kuhmo 700. This year going to try Track Claw on my tires to see if they gain some grip. Should work on street tires as well as race tires. You know the gen 4 acr people will get dropped like a hot potato just as we did when the next gen goes to 19"s and 20"s. GTS Bruce

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a great question that I've been asking myself. One side of says run the same brand (305/30 710) tire up front, but I'm not crazy about such a wide tire up front. I was thinking about the BFG R1 tire in the stock size, but am concerned about bad handling characteristics causedby two different brand tires.
Anyone have any suggestions?

1. Mixing does not always create issues, in this case it probably would.

2. I run the 710's for autocross, they are great.

3. I have the 305's on the front of a 97 and you will have minor interference issues if you turn the wheel too far. You will cut the tire, not good.

4. I think my PS2's have better drag strip traction. Even in autocross, they seem to spin far too much on the initial start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960