Strength of sports bar

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My kid was telling me last night that for their high school home coming game at half time they have the girls ride out onto the football field in Vette's and he ask me if I would consider volunteering my 98 R/T 10.

Will the sports bar hold someone sitting on it? I'd love to lead a parade of 'wanna be Viper owners' with a beautiful girl sitting on my car but I also don't want to break it.

I've heard the bar was pretty strong but didn't know if anyone had some first hand experience doing this.

Thanks

Bill

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done this several time and there is no problem with someone sitting on top of ht esports bar. Just put down a soft towel to keep it from getting scratched. :2tu:

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to put something down on the console where her feet will be. I remember a post a few months back where the console had broken underneath and it created a dent on the top. :crazy:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sitting on it is fine, but watch how someone gets up there - avoid putting too much pressure on the center console (e.g., if used as a step) because it can crack.

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You might want to put something down on the console where her feet will be. I remember a post a few months back where the console had broken underneath and it created a dent on the top. :crazy:

Yep. You can break the plastic under the center console that will leave a perm. crease in the center console. It happened to me....

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you get to ****** the Homecoming Queen, not one of the other losers.

If you are concerned about the sports bar, maybe she could ride on your shoulders, piggy back style :)

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you get to ****** the Homecoming Queen, not one of the other losers.

If you are concerned about the sports bar, maybe she could ride on your shoulders, piggy back style :)

That's a good idea, Andy. Yeah if they're using your car, it should be the driver there with all of the girls, not some little twerp.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wild Bill,
Click on my avatar and then expand it...
I have not x-rayed an RT/10, but I believe the sport bar is very similar to what you will see on my GTS.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've never taken the center console off, it has little feet (complete with rubber sole) underneath it. That's right, it's about an inch higher than it needs to be. (Tell that to your elbow.) So putting weight on it between the feet is what makes it crack or break. As one more protection step (pun) you might lay a right-sized board to spread the weight.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used my RT to give a ride for a good friends niece in a parade. I did put a towel over the center console and had her remove her shoes so it wouldn't damage anything. Should be no problem at all.

You must be registered for see images attach

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each year the ViperClub provides viper RT-10 & SRT-10's to drive the 40+ NASCAR drivers around the LasVegas Speedway in a parade lap just prior to the race. Each car carries the driver sitting on the sports bar or convertable top. No issues found. Some people have the driver sit on a towel, however that makes it very slippery for the passenger. A rubber pad might work out better.
I made up a harness out of a luggage bag strap to allow the driver something to hold on when the speeds go up. Hooked it onto the visors. Worked very well.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uuuuuh. Let me know if the niece wants to spend a few months/years in Tampa. Let her know I own two Vipers and don't look or act anywhere near my age. In fact, don't even mention age...to her or me.

I used my RT to give a ride for a good friends niece in a parade. I did put a towel over the center console and had her remove her shoes so it wouldn't damage anything. Should be no problem at all.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck...LOL! I know she loves Vipers because I asked her to choose which car she would like to ride in and she choose the VIPER :2tu: Her other choice was my other car with my buddy driving.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problems with this young lady. :D

115212-7_Jackson_Parade1.jpg

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the Indy VOI we had a parade, where many people had 1 or 2 people on the sport bar. Some even standing when we were waiting. In addition, Indy drivers also sat on the bar of many cars (course Indy drivers are light weights compared to some of the others I saw).