stripped side sill bolts

homesite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone know what sizes bolt to use to replace the stripped out side sill bolts on the bottom of the side sills. I removed the cats on my srt and now 3 bolts will not tighten.

Thanks,

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are actually sheet metal screws and very easy to strip. I have done two things, one easy, one more dificult. The easy is go to a hardware store and get one size larger sheet metal screw and carefully tighten so as not to strip it again, The more difficult approach is to use "nut-serts"," which are like rivets, only threaded for machine screws. These are much harder to strip and give penty of material for the trheads to engage.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nutserts - I think every body panel on the race car is now help on by those puppies. Very spiffy invention.

It's a much cleaner fix for the side sills. These sheet metal screws are only going to get worse - and probably fall out right when you can the run over them with your $350 rear tire..... Ugh.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The third option is to use a small ball peen hammer or a flat punch and peen the hole edges back flat. The screw threads have probably pulled the edges downward and increased the hole ID. Before reinserting the screws, stick the threads into a tube of silicone sealer. That way, they won't vibrate loose and get into your tire. Realize that you can't get them *tight* - just good and snug.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper