Sts Twin Turbo '08

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nothing magic about doing an '08 twin turbo. You just need to get rid of the cam in cam tech, change out the pistons, use an AEM or a Motec controller and otherwise build the motor the way Heffner and a few other tuners do with Gen III engines. Total cost: probably north of 40K. By the time they are done there is little left of the stock motor. It makes more sense to buy a Gen III Viper for far less money, change the hood out and twin turbo it as shown in a recent thread.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear exhaust is stupid, but I do like the tips on the side exhaust. That thing sounds so wicked. None of my past turbo's have been anywhere near as loud.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is nothing magic about doing an '08 twin turbo. You just need to get rid of the cam in cam tech, change out the pistons, use an AEM or a Motec controller and otherwise build the motor the way Heffner and a few other tuners do with Gen III engines. Total cost: probably north of 40K. By the time they are done there is little left of the stock motor. It makes more sense to buy a Gen III Viper for far less money, change the hood out and twin turbo it as shown in a recent thread.

Yep... as pointed out here, making it work is one thing, especially at "moderate" power levels. However, by the time you are done, it doent make sense from a dollar standpoint, nor is it "really" a gen-4 engine anymore... all the things that set it apart have been reversed.

"Big power" is an even bigger problem for the count on 08+. While we can work around the engine control and cam-in-cam [for enough money and parts swapping], the block and head arcitechture is a much larger problem. Bolts with ~20% less available yeild strength and siamese valve seats dont lend themselves well to big power.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that exhaust does look lame. I doubt they even changed anything out in the motor, or did they do the complicated change as you guys have mentioned would be required? I wonder how much power the twin STS put out?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They would have had to change almost everything out in the motor. It would have been required unless their intent was to make a car bomb. LOL.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They would have had to change almost everything out in the motor. It would have been required unless their intent was to make a car bomb. LOL.
That is my thinking as well because the motor is already pretty much pushed to its limits. Adding FI to that engine, its not "if", but "when" it would go boom.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Knowing the stories about STS- I would have no doubt that they just bolted it on... and just havent found out the hard way yet. Not to mention I doubt we are going to see a picture of the dash with the "check engine" light that is already clicked on:rolleyes:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That is my thinking as well because the motor is already pretty much pushed to its limits. Adding FI to that engine, its not "if", but "when" it would go boom.

Yep, '08 is pushed very much further towards an NA platform. It has features that just plain arent friendly to forced induction, not even including their structural differences and computer nightmares.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They would of at least had to change out the wheels as well to the stock 08 wheels. Also that seems to the 08 specific Venom Red color, unless they did a paint job as well. It seems like an 08 to me. I could be wrong?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That exhaust looks absolutely stupid.

Per the data associated with the video, the side outlets are now being used as the waste gates for the turbos. The turbos seem unusually loud even with the distracting background music.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid Vette-ish exhaust. Would have maybe stomached it more if they did the Gen II ish exhaust out back instead. Sounds good though. Countdown to boom?

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the sound of it, it seems to be a typical rear mount setup. They tend to wistle a lot more being they are right near the exhaust exit.

I bet it is barely pushing 5psi.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the sound of it, it seems to be a typical rear mount setup. They tend to wistle a lot more being they are right near the exhaust exit.

I bet it is barely pushing 5psi.
Also knowing STS dealing with the LAG because of the turbos being so far back, they would of been better off doing a headers/exhaust. They probably did not gain 100HP with the STS but could gain 70HP with the headers/exhaust, and I am sure for a cheaper price. Marketing for STS I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960