Stumped the gurus? Still need an answer...

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted a question earlier and still need help.

I can't get my driver side door open. It's acting like it is locked and the latch won't click open. Since the door is closed I can't get at the screws to take the panels off and get it open! I have taken off what I can to get at it and can't reach the latch. Any ideas on how to get the latch to open while the door is closed?

I think either the lock cable came loose or there is something caught in the latch and it is stuck closed. I have WD-40'd it to death and tried for several hours to bang on it, reach the latch from the speaker opening, etc. but no luck.

Any guru's or professional car theives out there that can give me an idea of how to get the door open so I can fix the problem?!!

Reaction score
Never tried this....but what about taking the door off? Can you get to the front mounting bolts...hood open, that front little doo-hickey removed??? (shrug) Throw me a bone here!! :)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey phiebert,
Your door mechanism failed! It is not that the lock cable came loose or there is something caught in the latch. I had to take out the drivers seat and all the screws I could get to and pull back on the door panel to get it to release. It will be a large help to have the new locking device there to see how you will have to make it release when you get the door panel back far enough. After you get it out you may beable to clean it up and it would appear to work again, but DO NOT USE IT AGAIN! Not unless you want to go through this pain in the a$$ job you are about to begin. Check out this thread, http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=119492&Forum=UBB14&Words=%20door&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=119490&Search=true#Post119492 So how is it jumping in and out of the car like the "Dukes of Hazards"? Good luck and I think this is why the Gen II's have the emergency release now.

Mike

P.S. Gerald, the car is a Gen I, No emergency latch:(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang