Stupid question about checking oil.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may fall under stupidest question of the day, but do you push the dip stick all the way when checking oil. Before I take a beating front the more knowledgable on here, mine has a bad oil pan gasket and has been leaking for a month. I have not added any oil to it and it still shows it at max when I push the stick all the way back in. Either this thing was seriously overfilled or I am doing it incorrectly. I have lost more than enough oil on the garage floor that it should show in the level.

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you push it all the way down.

Fluid always looks like its a LOT more when its on the ground then it really is ... if you lost a full quart on the ground it would be a HUGE mess ---

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is very very difficult to resist making a sarcastic comment here. I am sure someone with a lack of self control will eventually chime in. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I opened myself to critism on this one. I figured I would get beat up, but it's better to be safe. The dip stick seemed to have a a distinct stopping point prior to completely seated. Continue the beating, but I had to ask. Thanks for the serious responses also.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you check it, you first pull it out to wipe it completely down; you don't want any "sloshed" oil giving you a false reading. Once clean, stick it all the way back in to the end, then pull it back out and take a look.

There are no dumb questions when you're making the effort to learn. It's better than those who just point and say "fix it".

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you check it, you first pull it out to wipe it completely down; you don't want any "sloshed" oil giving you a false reading. Once clean, stick it all the way back in to the end, then pull it back out and take a look.

There are no dumb questions when you're making the effort to learn. It's better than those who just point and say "fix it".
.......yes I agree......The dumb thing would be to just drive it, never check anything, then wonder why it blew up.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I opened myself to critism on this one. I figured I would get beat up, but it's better to be safe. The dip stick seemed to have a a distinct stopping point prior to completely seated. Continue the beating, but I had to ask. Thanks for the serious responses also.
Dude, only medium on the dumb scale. Cuz most everybody views dipstick reading as 'idiot-proof'. You are just asking "what's up with the dipstick?"....................I'll tell you what is FULL-BLAST DUMB, ...Posting on You Tube as a tech/help video for power steering diagnostics, adding water to the system on a Viper, and wondering why bad things keep happening to the car. World-wide video documentation of *******.

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to defend myself, but to explain where the thought process came from. My engine building experience came from 2 strokes, one of the motors we were found of had a screw in cap to check trans fluid. You checked the level by inserting up to the threads but not past. So as much as this seemed like a stupid question, it wasn't without a little confusion that others may not have experienced. Thanks for all the answers, good and bad.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great site for learning. No such thing as a stupid question as long as it's. However if you asked this at the alley there would be about 10 people poking fun at you trying to pick a fight.

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Fums'......or maybe 'frums' ......'fouroms' looks way to complicated. Very high risk of mis-spelling it in the future.

If we get into heavy moderator-action/intervention......"I'll be behind you every step of the way Allan" :) Sorry, couldn't resist.....See you at the next meeting.....

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great site for learning. No such thing as a stupid question as long as it's. However if you asked this at the alley there would be about 10 people poking fun at you trying to pick a fight.

This is true ... I just became a member on "the alley", and its already been a joke ---

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we get into heavy moderator-action/intervention......"I'll be behind you every step of the way Allan" :) Sorry, couldn't resist.....See you at the next meeting.....
Thank you for your support of the 'Fums' movement. -now we just need Runnr to get on board with it,..........as he is the keeper of the fums. ;)

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also be sure the Viper is fairly level. It will make a difference.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..... I haven't torn a pair of pants or anything yet. And my physique will never fall under the " body builder type", but I may still get a chance to race a Vette, but I am not stopping to talk afterwards.

this much info makes you well read here :2tu: