stupid towing question

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I admit I know nothing about towing, so here's my dumb question: Can I, or more importantly, SHOULD I, tow my viper with my 1999 Dodge Dakota, V6, with auto trans?
I would probably be towing it no more than 100 miles.

Is it possible and/or smart to do it?

Thanks,
Craig

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What does the owners manual say for towing? What kind of trailer? What kind of hitch?

If your Dakota is rated for 5,000 pounds towing then an open trailer with the Viper should do it. But it would require electric trailer brakes. A class II hitch setup should do it. It would be best with a swaybar.

General rule of thumb. Over 1,000 lbs have sway bar. Over 2,000 lbs have trailer brakes. Over 3,000 lbs then weight distribution hitch.

I have towed boats, campers and trailers for over 30 years. I never exceed with the manufacturer rates the vehicle for. I always try for a 30% cushion.

The pic is of my current setup for towing a car. 7000 lbs cap. trailer. The truck limit is 12,300 lbs and the equalizing hitch with two sway bars is 10,000 lbs so it can handle winds, semis passing and whatever comes up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More info: towing packages are built around cooling. Bigger fan, bigger radiator, trans cooler, etc. If you are doing this as a once-in-a-lifetime towing adventure, pick a back road where you can manage your temperatures.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A class II hitch setup should do it. It would be best with a swaybar.
General rule of thumb. Over 1,000 lbs have sway bar. Over 2,000 lbs have trailer brakes. Over 3,000 lbs then weight distribution hitch.

I'm starting to try to educate myself also, and considering some long hauls. The Viper weighs almost 3400 pounds. I did a search. Isn't that, plus a trailer weight well over a class II hitch rating ? It sounds like the weight distribution hitch is a good idea.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang