Subframe swap

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If my Gen 1 motor starts giving me trouble I think I am going to swap a big block K-frame from a Dart into my Viper. Then I plan on dropping in a spare 400 from a 1977 Chrysler New Yorker that I have. This way, I can retain those nimble torsion bars! I plan on migging it in and using a string line to get it lined up. I already upgraded to 4 wheel drum brakes and love 'em! Does this sound like more work than it's worth? Has anyone ever thought about swapping in a 8 3/4 into the rear of a Viper either?

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed in th 2001 Mopar Performance Parts catalog an ABS "big red drum" mod kit for them drums which will surely out stop the new Porsche turbo with a nickel's change.

For your future plans...Don't forget the deer whistle on the front bumper and the combo hairspray and deodorizer dispensers on the dash.

I think even Sparkomatic has an "AM Only kit" with an optical transducer meshed in to a bromide spedoingle runing off the master cylinder reversion tensioner that will remove that pesky "FM" from your dial and keep it real.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're looking for a smooth ride and lower unsprung weight, you've got to do the 6-cyl torsion bars up front. The back end would not be worthy with the 8 3/4, I'd go with the 7 1/4 myself. However, the leaf springs are going to be a problem. I bet we could do a 4-link with the frame attachments from the rear somehow.

OP
OP
F

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah! I have a good 7 1/4 laying in my shed from a previous swap to an 8 3/4! Just when I was going to use that beercan rear for a boat anchor does someone come up with a great suggestion. Best of all it has 2.76's in it! Imagine 200 mph top end speed with drums!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously none of you know anything about cars if you're thinking of doing something like this and not using a Supra powerplant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery