subwoofer help

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok I have now bought 2 different kinds of subwoofers and of course tried the stock one that was in there. The last sub in the stock enclosure (between the seats) sounds the best, but something is wrong. They all sound distorted or like theyre farting or something. On the last sub I had to put the setting on the radio to -8 . This newest sub is brand new 300watts and ovbiously its not the sub. My local car shop said they tried to seal this one up real good when they put it in. My old SRT-10 subwoofer (stock) sounded really good and I even felt there was no need to add additional subs.

So my question is, what could be causing this brand new subwoofer to sound bad? A problem with the enclosure or the port hole above it? Something else? Anybody else had this problem?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likely that the air the sub is moving, either in front of or behind it, is causing something to vibrate making the distortion sound. Highly unlikely that the sub itself is blown, but when the voice coil tears it causes the sub to make that sound as well.

If it is easy to get to, you may want to check the surrounding area for lightweight objects that could vibrate.

:usa:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you using the stock amp? And what year was your first and current Vipers.
I'm looking and upgrade my 05 speakers now.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That brings up another possibility. You may not be giving the new upgraded sub enough power. That can cause it to make that sound to if I am not mistaken.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My first viper was a 03 srt - 10. This one is a 05 srt - 10. When I first bought it 2 months ago, it had the stock amp and stock sub in it. It sounded pretty much the same as it does now with the 3rd different (brand new) sub in it and still the stock amp. So its still the same OEM amp, but the 3rd different sub, this one is brand new so its definately not blown. Something is causing the sub to sound very distorted like its farting.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That brings up another possibility. You may not be giving the new upgraded sub enough power. That can cause it to make that sound to if I am not mistaken.

I agree. If you your not delivering enough power to the speaker, it will sound like it is blown.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok update, it was at the speaker shop today, they found a hole and plugged it up. They said it was about the size of a nickel and looked like it was supposted to be there. It sounds about 90% better now. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960