((((((((((Subwoofer installation))))))))))))

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey i know a lot of u old men(jk) dont care for this type of thing, but i was wondering if anyone has a cad type drawing, or a sketch of the trunk of the viper(gts) so i could sketch out some possible sub setups. also has anyone come across any pictures of quality installs? if so can u give me a link or post the pics. thanks a lot guys.

Reaction score
There's a lot of owners on the board that have awesome stereos in there Vipers. Let's see there's Jeff Ellison (King Snake), Prashant Patel had a kick *** in his old RT but his new one I'm sure will have one much better soon, also theres a guy with "The World's Loudest Viper", his name is Brian. Just do a search on this topic and you should find it. Good luck.

OP
OP
Y

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh yea i saw that guys install it was pretty nice. i really want to see more pictures of what people have done.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the biggest sound system of any car. It has 10 woofers enclosed in a 488 cubic inch box. You should hear this thing!!!

bounce.gif
bounce.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on how crazy you want to go. I kinda went to one extreme. There's another guy here with a gts that had 1 8" woofer mounted on the right side of the well and still retains nearly all of his space back there. I didn't do my install, was a bit over my knowledge and comfort zone, but I was present during it all. So if you have any questions you can email me and I'll try my best to help you out. The pics I took during the install show the progress fairly well. http://members.sounddomain.com/parboy1

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you probably know, it really depends on what you want to do with the trunk. Use all space, some space, remove the spare, etc.. As for Subs, it tough to beat the Kicker square Solobarics.

When I install systems in my cars, I try to avoid any drilling, cutting, and I like to keep the spare. I was able to put together a pretty ridiculous system, as many Nor Cal members have seen and heard. Best of all, I have my spare, I can remove the sub in under 10 seconds, and there was little no drilling and cutting involved with all of the mounting. In the end, I myself was even surprised.
Here's what I went with and why:

1) Sony ES Minidisc head unit with voice control, DSP, and EQ (glove box is small and can only fit a few CDs ONLY at an angle. Now I can fit about 15-20 minidiscs.)

2) Panasonic 7" widescreen LCD (brightest, cleanest picture on the market. I tried Kenwood, Alpine, and Clarion, and they didn't come close to the Panasonic)

3) Panasonic CY-AC300 Dolby Digital, DTS processor (in conjunction with the DSP and EQ of the Sony, this works awesome. 2 EQs and DSPs working together.) Hidden in the visor.

4)Sony DVD Player with DTS, 5.1. Hardwired with optical outputs.

5) Sega Dreamcast, Sony P2.

5) Sony virtual DVD glasses (for passenger privacy, enjoyment and virtual reality with DVDs and games)

6) Sony ES 10 disc changer.

7) Kicker 12" square solobaric

8) 1 sets of 6 1/2 MB Quart separates up front and 1 set of 5 1/4 co-axials in the rear.

9) 1 Eclipse center channel for movies

10) 1 Xtant 75x4 channel amplifier

11) 1 Rockford 750x1 amp for subs

12) Hidden switches for turning on DVD, and games.

Kicker square sub works great and is more than plenty for the car!
Hope this helps!

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Wayne, do you have any pictures of that set up?? Sounds awesome! I put off the multimedia aspect of my install for a later date, but you have got me rarin to make it happen now
smile.gif

MikeDGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful on how far you go with the subwoofer installation. I had 2 Diamond Mac Daddy 12" subs in my 2000 GTS. They fired straight up and looked nice with a flush vinyl facial. The only problem is that there in not enough airspace inside the car to get the full potential out of 2 12" subs. My glass hatch shook violently yet the bass was just "decent" compared to other big systems I have done (Ex: Trans Am w/2 12"). I could have lived w/ "decent" bass, if the weight of the large box, 2 MacIntosh Amps, and extra battery had noticeably slowed the acceleration (especially 1st gear). The point is you can get a nice sound out of the viper with 1 10" or 12", but you are not gonna get much more by going extreme. DVD and PS2 is a whole different story. Personally, I yanked the whole system and left a Mac Amp running the stock speakers; I will leave the serious system for when I get the BMW X5. Good luck w/ your viper and stereo.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeDGTS:
Be careful on how far you go with the subwoofer installation. I had 2 Diamond Mac Daddy 12" subs in my 2000 GTS. They fired straight up and looked nice with a flush vinyl facial. The only problem is that there in not enough airspace inside the car to get the full potential out of 2 12" subs. My glass hatch shook violently yet the bass was just "decent" compared to other big systems I have done (Ex: Trans Am w/2 12"). I could have lived w/ "decent" bass, if the weight of the large box, 2 MacIntosh Amps, and extra battery had noticeably slowed the acceleration (especially 1st gear). The point is you can get a nice sound out of the viper with 1 10" or 12", but you are not gonna get much more by going extreme. DVD and PS2 is a whole different story. Personally, I yanked the whole system and left a Mac Amp running the stock speakers; I will leave the serious system for when I get the BMW X5. Good luck w/ your viper and stereo.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I love the McIntosh amps. I have had them in two cars so far including my viper. My question is: how much bass gets through the gas tank into the passanger compartment if I have a single 10 in the trunk of my rt/10? Will I even hear it over my belanger exhaust?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay away from an RT Trunk, your waisting your time. Bigger is not always better, especially with airspace. With a Viper, your very limited. Throw an 8 or 10" sub in the passenger foot well. Design the box so it snugs against the center console foot area and is wedge shaped. There will be plenty of room for a passenger still! I would recommend doing research on getting a coorect 8" or 10" subwoofer. You'll need one that requires the LEAST airspace. My 8" was a Rockford, that required only .3 cubic feet to sound at its' optimum.

In my GTS I put an 8" in the rear with a port firing straight up. WOW, sounds like a couple of 12's. I've been in stereo's ever since I've been driving and you can put an INCREDIBLE system together for 2,000 dollars using only 1 10" or 1 8" that will sound better or equal to a pair of 12's or similar. My 1 8" subwoofer in the rear of the gts is so loud and moves so much air that it pops my radar detector off and I cannot light a match in the car without it instantly blowing out. That's only of (1) 8" woofer.. I have basically ALL my stock room left. Just took out the spare tire and used that airspace. The "port" makes the subwoofer think the box is bigger..

I can send you pictures of both if you'd like, just email me.

HOpe that helped
Gerald

MikeDGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian (AKA Loudest Viper),

Your Db #'s are impressive. I only had my system about 2 months, so I dont have any #'s or pics. I can check with the installation shop, I know they have taken pictures of a couple of my cars. Dont get me wrong, the system sounded good, just not the same as some of my other cars. I must admit I am tough to please. I went through about 5 boxes in my Mercedes C43 from 2 10" Solobarics to 4 Image D 12"s. Needless to say I was never happy with that system either. Maybe I just have bad luck, but I will keep trying. If you ever come to a show in FL, I would love to hear your Viper

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rex7, if you are referring to me, the link for my install is at http://members.sounddomain.com/parboy1

MikeD, wow! I thought I was the only one like that
smile.gif
I've heard good things about the ID subs. I was lucky with this one that it turned out even better than I had hoped. All my other systems have been just like you described...in a constant state of tearing out and rebuilding. I would love to get down to Florida for some sound comps! That is like the capital of em
smile.gif

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makara, mounting a sub in the trunk of your rt/10 will not do you any good. The people outside the car will hear you coming, but you wont even know that sub is back there. I believe others on the board have used subs in the passenger footwell with good results.

Mike D, I didn't run into the airspace problem at all. I used 2 eclipse 12" subs with about 2.2 cu ft of air space in the box, 2 amps, cap, 2 6.5" rear speakers. Had to design a new home for the 6.5" speakers was the only thing "altered" in the rear of the car. My 12's sit deep in the rear well where the spare used to be which left a pretty good amount of space between the subs and the glass. When I have it cranked it certainly rattles the glass, but I cant tell inside the car. My best so far has been second place with 147.6 db's. 1st place in SQ
smile.gif
If you have any pictures of your old system I would really enjoy seeing them. Not too often to find a viper with the big stereo ;)

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:
Oh I love the McIntosh amps. I have had them in two cars so far including my viper. My question is: how much bass gets through the gas tank into the passanger compartment if I have a single 10 in the trunk of my rt/10? Will I even hear it over my belanger exhaust?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the answers to your two questions are: "not much" and "probably not"

I believe Gerald and maybe one or two others have posted previously about stereos in RT/10's. Do a search for that specific configuration and I think you'll get some good info. The best performance seems to have been achieved from placing a 10" sub in a small box in the passenger footwell, or placing bass tubes (such as Bazookas) imediately in front of the seats. They do not appear to hinder seating or footroom/placement.

When your done with your setup be sure to post pics.

-Matt

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anthony - 98 GTS:
Wayne,

Where did you mount the center channel? Sound like a great set-up.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe they are mounted to the back of the rearview mirror.

The setup is very clean.

-Matt

Jerry Horton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do any of you have picture of the rear hatch area before installation? My 2002 is still being built, but I want to get ideas for sub installation without having to remove the spare. I am having a hard time with finding pics of the rear hatch. Any help is appreciated.

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry, look for posts by Tim Zimmerman. He has a coupe with a sub in the hatch and still retains almost all of his storage space and the spare. I believe he used a kicker 8" on the passenger side just behind the gas tank.