Suggestion on 1st Viper

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I have talked about it, and I've finally (its taken literally 3 years) talked her into letting us get a Viper.

We're (especially myself) are huge Viper fans obviously, but we have 3 vehicles now (01 Avalon, 98 Catera, 98 Explorer). 3 cars, 3 payments. We can afford to take on a 5th payment, but have decided to just pay for it outright instead. (about 3 months ago we came a hair from getting a Boxster S that a local owner had for sale...I'm sure we'll be glad we waited!)

My question is: since we're just gonna buy one and not finance it, I thought it would be really nice to get into one as cheaply as possible. We actually prefer the 92-94 rt10 (red only) look over the newer models (we love the 3 spokes and the side exhaust vs the newer look):

3077.jpg

Perfect

Since we're gonna get an older one, anything to look for or worry about? I definately want a stock Viper, no mods necessary (lest they add a cd player or something). I'm actually very surprised at the number of Vipers for under $40k. Some even in the low $30k range. I just didnt know if there were any wide range of problems in the old ones or what. I do plan on keeping it forever, so I'm not worried about resale value. Miles dont matter alot, either...
http://www.viperclub.org/menus/index_classifieds.htm

Also, know anwhere besides VCA Classifieds and DuPont Registry to look for Vipers? These places seem to have only the 'low mile' Vipers for collectors, I'd prefer it to have more miles and cost less.

Frank00Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now is the time to buy, you will find one of the best deals right now. Just take your time and look and find the right deal for u.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse. He will point you in the right direction. 1-800-889-1893. Two things to look for that might not be obvious: Has engine been rebuilt? It "is" a good thing if done! Those years had head gasket issues and the rebuild fixed the problem. Is there an extended warranty from D-C that is transferable to you? You might be able to find one if you look long enough. Good luck in your quest for a smile that will not leave your face for some time!

Happy Holidays!

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 94 for the same reasons as you are wanting to!! Here is what to look for. More than likely you will need to replace the head gaskets. You do not need to rebuild the motor!!!!!!! I had a good local mechanic do the job. Total cost was under $1000 parts and labor. Make sure you check out the side exhaust covers, if the car has some miles on it they will probably need fixed. The heat from the stock exhaust can warp them. The area's around the rivets will more than likely be corroded. I took mine off and had them straightened and painted along with the front fascia that will more than likely be scratched on the bottom because of the clearance. Total cost was $750 Look for other obvious things that you would look for on any car!! I paid $33,000 for my car with 26,000 miles. If I were you I would try and find one that has had some mods already done like aftermarket exhaust and K&N. Mine also came with a new hard top and glass side windows, also new. The rest of what you do with the car is just personal preference. Good luck!!!

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought a 1994 RT10 this past spring and love it. Take your time and find a good car. There a lot of them on the market that have been abused and neglected. Run a car fax.

Higher mileage is not necessarily a bad thing. Learn to read the date code on tires (so you can tell if someone is BS'ing you about having original tires on their car). The things that always get whacked on '92-95's are side pipes, wheels, and scrapes under the chin.

GO for the 1995 if you can find one to avoid the potential gasket issue.

Good luck and most of all have fun.

OP
OP
S

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, thanks alot, seriously. I found a few 'bites' that we're gonna look into. (I also didnt know about the gasket issue).

I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who wanted to get a lower priced Viper
supergrin.gif

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta chime in, as the photo at the top of this thread is my beloved '92 RT/10, VIN00077! I took that photo in September 1997 in Kent, WA.
My 1994 RT/10 has just been declared a total loss by my insurance company (beware of sand-covered roads around blind corners) ... so I too am back in the market shopping for a used snake. Having owned two red Gen Ones now, I can attest to the fact that they are quite simply *awesome* machines that will not disappoint you. The comments above are good ones regarding what to look out for - ensure that the car is raised on a lift so that you can get a good look of the engine from underneath such that you can spot the tell-tale whitish stains coming down from the head/block interface (the sure sign of head gasket corrosion).
I'm currently leaning on finding another red RT/10, but this time I may very well just grab a second generation RT/10 to address my family's issues regarding what they'd prefer with car. I enjoy going on cruises with my young sons, but it's not fun for them sweltering in traffic in the summer (no A/C), and the side pipes are a bit too loud for their comfort (rear exhaust models are indeed quieter inside). My spouse does not enjoy a contiunuous 60 mph blasts of wind coming from a windowless car, so it'd be nice to have a window available to roll up. If I chose to buy another Viper based soley on my wants, it'd be an early Gen I red roadster.

OP
OP
S

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a/c is important to you, none of the '92 cars came with it, and the first 200 cars of '93 did not have it either. My '93 was #171 and I wished I had it on very hot days stuck in traffic. It can be added on later. E-bay is also a good source in my opinion to get a good deal on a used Viper. My wife found my current '96 GTS on E-bay. Good luck.

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Adkins:
I enjoy going on cruises with my young sons, but it's not fun for them sweltering in traffic in the summer (no A/C), and the side pipes are a bit too loud for their comfort (rear exhaust models are indeed quieter inside). My spouse does not enjoy a contiunuous 60 mph blasts of wind coming from a windowless car, so it'd be nice to have a window available to roll up. If I chose to buy another Viper based soley on my wants, it'd be an early Gen I red roadster.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the newer GenI cars did come with A/C as an option. (I would not be driving one here in AZ if it did not!) As far as the windows are concerned, I have the Vipermania windows and hardtop. If you can, try to get a GenI with those included. All said above is true. Beware the gasket stuff but otherwise, I love this car.

Dave... Hey I am from Kent / East Hill! Will be there next week for Christmas.

Regards,

Ron

<FONT COLOR="Red">Cougars are ROSEBOWL BOUND... Yea!</FONT c>

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Retrofitting A/C is about $3000 in parts alone, unless you get lucky and can get take-off parts from someone ditching their A/C while lightening up their car for track-only use. I was debating on retrofitting A/C into my '94 .... before the crash.

I may still go Gen I RT/10, make sure it's got A/C (most '94-on-up roadsters had the optional A/C) and get Vmania windows. Of course, the Roe blower only fits GenII engines, and long-term thinking has me aiming more at a '97+ RT/10. I gotta admit, though, I prefer the 3-spoke wheels on the Viper.

Yes, the photo is mine, the hard copy is here at my desk; someone lifted it from my
web site and put the wrong information.

Happy vipering!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Head Gasket concern is not a "IF" issue, but a when. If it has already been done, that is great. Whereas Viper 1994's statement that the engine does not have to be rebuilt is often correct, it should not be taken as a blanket statement. The level of expertise your Viper Tech has needs to be the determining factor. The Arrow rebuilds are therefore often considered a plus , instead of a minus , as it is like getting a wonderfully refreshened motor back. If the vehicle you are looking at has had this done, it is a good thing.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It is a 92-96 concern. The last two vehicles we repaired were 96 model years. Look up towards the top of the block from underneath ( on a rack ) and check to see if there are thin lines discoloring the block --- an analogy would be the small tracks of dirt termites do down a basement wall. You are not looking, initially for puddles, but seepage. Most cases it will just be a gasket repair, and that seems to be running around $1000-$2500 ,depending n the part of the country you are in ( differing mechanic rates due to overhead differences ). If you have a warranty this should be a covered item. If you just bought the warranty call me. Hope this helps and have faith , as engine failures are not common,though some do end up being sent in to Arrow.

pjb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have AC in my early 93 (#213) and Im so glad I do
smile.gif
Id say make sure you have one with it already on the car. Other than that, the headgasket issue is the other thing to look for. My headgaskets were replaced under warranty, so im glad that was taken care of, and i now have the newer style gaskets. My advice would be to look for a Gen I with a tranferrable warranty (might have to be 94+), AC, Hardtop, and Vmania windows. The HT and windows make it easier to drive during the cooler months (looks pretty good too). Those were my prerequisites and Im glad I stuck with them. Car has been an absolute blast! Good luck!

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the head gasket issue just on 1994 and 1995.... or is it a player with the 1996 motors?

I just purchased a 1996 RT/10 with (now) 30,000 miles, and an extended warranty.... I plan to utilize as my daily driver...

Lance

OP
OP
S

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I've got a few Carfaxes to check up on and hopefull we'll have us a winner.

Just one more really quick question:

I've read in other threads that some have recommended that we got a 'Viper mechanic' to take a look at the possible purchases. I'm in Hickory (between Asheville and Statesville on I-40) in North Carolina. Wont a normal 'run of the mill' mechanic do? Couldnt I just tell him to look at the head gaskets and see if theres a problem? Any Viper Mechanics in this area you'd recommend?

btw Dave, no way on Earth I'd have sold that rt/10 in that pic man...not even for a newer model. What were you thinking!?
wink.gif

OP
OP
S

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we go with opinions again, and mine's a little different. I've owned both a '95 and a '99 that both of which were bought new. The '95 was a great car and I dearly loved it, but the '99GTS is a much better car. Designed better, handles better (much better, in fact) and runs stronger. I miss the R/T convertible and the side pipes, but the side curtains and difficulty with removing and carrying the top was too much of a hassle. The Gen II cars have numerous aftermarket exhausts available (mine's a 3" Corsa with Hi Flo cats) that make missing the side pipes a small, if non existant, penalty. I wouldn't let price be the initial governing factor on your purchase...you should be thinking about the investment you're about to make. Having owned both, my bet is you will enjoy the Gen II car significantly more. If you've got the cash to afford a $30 to 40,000 GenI, get a loan for another $10-15,000 and get the better machine. I would think that resale will be higher on the Gen II as well. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960